SaabCentral Forums banner

New Downpipe

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  MI-Roger 
#1 · (Edited)
I have the option of changing the downpipe on my 2002 9-5 Aero.Ive been told the single cat pipe will give me an extra 20/30 bhp than the twin cat pipe presently fitted.does anyone have any ideas or have experience of this.

#2 ·
OK. It will not give you an extra 20-30 HP. The bigger downpipe along with the the free flow cat WILL help the engine dispose of exhaust gases faster, which is good. Forced induction engines do not need any back pressure in the exhaust and the quicker you can get rid of the exhaust gases the better where turbos are concerned. When you first install the new DP, the car will run like a bat outta hell because the computer is not expecting the hardware to be so free-flowing. After a short-time, however, the factory software will adjust everything because it constantly works to make a specific power taking into considering all the variables. So in other words your numbers will return to normal.

What it DOES do is get you one step closer in hardware requirements so that you can upgrade your software and take advantage of your new DP! :cheesy: Good luck tuning!

Cheers

#3 ·
thanks

Hi,
Thanks for the information on that.As i suspected someone trying to sell me a new pipe.Im not too interested on spending money on tuning etc but would like to get max performance from the car.It's done 167000 miles so probably running a little slow.Any tips or advice on not too costly improvements would be well appreciated.cheers John

#4 ·
Been there, done that, have the down-pipe

I agree with j006 100%!

I installed a 3-inch downpipe on my car at 244,000 miles. I already had a Saab/Remus exhaust system installed and had evidence the original cats were plugging off due to age.

The car ran like an absolute madman for a few weeks! Performance seems to have leveled off since then, but maybe I have just grown accustomed to it. I have also put 40,000+ miles on the new pipe.

Without a less restrictive exhaust system, a down pipe is a waste of money. If you do both you can have yourself a lot of fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.