SaabCentral Forums banner

Soft ECU MOD

3K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Saab_Love 
#1 ·
my origional post didnt show up..

i added a soft mod to my ecu it is a splice between the ecu and the obd2 port, it actually works i noticed a huge difference in torque and accelleration

if anyone else wants to try www.voloperformance.com get the v12 mod

#5 ·
arn't those things on ebay like 20$ im rasing the BS flag on this one with as touchy as our t7 system is i cant believe it would accept anything along those lines w.o throwing a crap load of codes or retarding it self back to bring it back down to stock numbers these cars are smart and this is fake good day to you sir

#11 ·
not yet but i will try and do a dyno test.. so this is a pretty sensitive engine? i know pretty much nothing about saabs except its a fairly quick car, and comfy and hard to find parts for.. which is another reason why i joined this site lol i will take some pics this weekend and post em, im gonna add some 18"enkis with contenental DWS extreme contact i herd there good tires and quiet too.. and tint the windows, put a stock spoiler on her, full exhaust, and i wanted to do that nordic stage 1 tune i belive
and whatever else i can find

anyone got any ideas for me its the 3.0 v6

#14 ·
I don't want to get in the middle of any arguments, I just want to post some raw data. At first I thought to myself "maybe this actually does something because a BSR PPC plugs into the OBD port too, and I know it works", but then I decided to do some research.

Originally Posted by http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3607655
I took it upon myself to install the chip and get it dynoed. The great guys over at Performance Auto near Richmond (Performance Auto Sport in Richmond, Virginia) performed three runs on their DynoJet, two runs with the chip properly installed, and then a third run with the chip deactivated. The Volo chip I installed had the upgraded microchip installed and I had already put over 250 miles on it, which is well over Volo's 120-mile "adaption" recommendation, to be sure. The chip was on solid "green," indicating proper functioning.

Here are the dyno results--I hope that you can read it on this download, which is set out below:

(NOTE on raw data: HP and Torque are measured through actual performance through the drivetrain, which absorbs approx. 15% of the actual engine-generated HP and Torque, so add about 15% back on for manufacturer-claimed numbers)

I'll summarize:

Run #1: Max HP 265.71; Max Torque 291.78
Run #2: Max HP 265.93; Max Torque 291.79

Runs establish a good baseline, and are nearly identical with the chip installed.

Disconnected the chip from the power source and did one additional run under the same conditions as above:

Run #3: Max HP 267.56; Max Torque 295.17

In summary, DynoJet results establish beyond any reasonable doubt that my car actually GAINED measureable HP and Torque when the Volo "performance" chip was removed. Dyno doesn't lie. As to Volo's claims about mileage improvements, I have done no study and can't make any claim one way or the other, though it stands to reason that minimal MPG gains are feasible in light of the overall power reductions, but as to any claim that Volo improves performance on a BMW 540i-6---this is a false claim. In fact, it seems to serve more as a power damper than improver.
If you want to prove that it works, you'll have to fork out a bit of money to get tested on a dyno with and without the volo adapter. Until then, nobody will believe that it improves anything.

#19 ·
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=6

here u go mine was running low so i needed to buy a few cases
It's sold out, looks like everybody from around these forums jumped in and grabbed some before I had my chance.

In all seriousness to the OP though, there is only one cheap way to tune ANY ecu on ANY car, and that's to know somebody who will do it for you for cheap/free. If you decide to do it yourself, it will either be expensive in terms of money by going the route of Nordic, BSR, JZW, etc, or it will be expensive in terms of your time by going the DIY route of ecuproject.org. You mentioned that you were considering a Nordic Stage 1 tune, which is definitely a good thing to look into. In the process, you can take out your volo device because even if it was doing you good, the Nordic tune will definitely do more. Stage 1 should give you about a 50HP and a 45Nm bump in performance. If you were planning on a full 3" exhaust incl downpipe, there's no reason to stick with Stage 1, you should probably go Stage 2 or 3.

You don't list your location other than USA in your info... if you live somewhere in or near Illinois and don't mind a drive, I'll make you a deal. Come over, we'll test your car with my relatively accurate dyno app on my phone both with and without the volo device. If it does indeed produce a noticeable gain, we can post the results here for the world to see and anybody with a spare $90 can go out and get one of these and boost the performance of their car. If it doesn't give a noticeable difference, I'll put a REAL Stage 1 tune on your ECU for free, then I'll split the refund with you that you get for returning this device within the 30 day return policy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.