SaabCentral Forums banner

Konis and Eibach prokit lowering springs?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  lux95 
#1 ·
Anybody running Koni shocks with Eibach Prokit lowering springs? If so then which ones? Looking for feedback on all models.

I'm running FSD's with Eibachs currently but am looking to replace the FSD's
shortly, so come on guys, whats your experience with Eibachs and Koni's?

As far as I can see today there are 2 choices that look to fit the bill of a short shock absorber to with these lowering springs:

Koni Str.T's or Koni Sport (Yellows?). I am looking for good handling, reduced body roll but not a bone shaker of a ride.
Anyway, let me know your experiences.

thanks.

#2 ·
Different springs...

Hello there -

I just put Yellow's all the way around but used the Vogtland springs that came as a full set from Genuine Saab. Very pleased so far. Car is significantly lower, but I realized too late that I have the rear shock circlip in the lower setting (should be in the upper).

I will be fixing and report back, but so far the ride improvement is great!

Highly recommend.

-Scott

#4 ·
They will definitely improve the handling, but our cars are very heavy and you will still get quite a lot of body roll even after lowering. Bigger sway bars tighten things up nicely without sacrificing too much comfort.

There is no height adjustment save for the the two levels of the Konis, and it's apparent which one you need when you have it in the wrong slot :cheesy:

#5 ·
Sorry to steal a thread, but I have a related question for your guys' opinion. I am looking to upgrade my car's suspension as my next big upgrade and as of a few days ago finally have the money to do it. I want the car lowered and ride tightened up, but not to the point of being way uncomfortable, just appropriately sporty and responsive as opposed to the tired old stock suspension I have now. I would also like the steering tightened up a bit, and ideally have it feel more like the BMWs I have driven. Will upgraded suspension affect steering a whole lot, or is that more a bushing thing, or both??

My first choice is Bilstein Sports all around with the Eibach prokit springs, and second is the Koni/Vogtland package mentioned here that is offered from genuinesaab. Both seem like good options, and the price difference with install and shipping would be the Bilstein option costing about $200 more. Keep in mind I have the V6 so my car is even heavier than the already heavy 4cyl. What are your thoughts on the better of the two options, price difference being a moderate consideration given that I could use the money saved towards half the cost of upgrading my roll bars to SAS as well?

#8 ·
its not what I didnt like, its what I experienced. If you stick with the stock springs and FSD's it should be absolutely fine. I had this combination at first and they do improve the ride considerably. I'd say it even made the car more comfortable, a better quality ride. They are firmer than stock. If you think you might want to go down the road of lowering the car one day, ie with lowering springs then I advise against. My feeling is that lowering springs played a part in bringing things to a head. As they are not short shocks they are not best suited to this sort of application. It took me less than 6 months to find this out as I fitted them this time last year. I took the car down to my local automobile club test centre where they can do a full suspension test. 3 out of 4 they recommended be changed asap as they were in poor shape. Nothing more final than that. Fair to say I did some rather long drives up to Scandinavia car loaded to the roof so this I think may well have played a part before I even went to lower springs. But I would avoid this combination again.

#9 ·
hi guys, i looked and couldnt find a thread. I have a 01' 9-5 Aero. Are there any lowering (springs) for the Aero model?? I'd rather NOT do the adjustables, Im only looking for a lower stance. 1" up front maybe the same out back.
eventually gonna put a set of 18's or 19's on it. not sure yet. but lowerinf it will be done before hand.

So, im wondering if any of you know if theres a Lowering spring kit for the 9-5 Aero model, year 2001?

thx in advance.

#10 ·
if you have an '01 car then you have probably more options in that you can buy a set of H&R coilovers for your car. If you want lowering springs then you will have to consider changing out the shock absorbers as well if not going for the coilover option. The stock suspension shocks arent suited to lowering. The problem is marrying the right set of lowering springs with shorter shocks. For the '95 there isn't many good options. The best I've heard so far are of the H&R's (check out Abbot Racing for example) or go direct to H&R. The suspension setup changed from 02 models on and the H&R's are not suitable. Lowering springs there are aplenty, but the problem is getting a combination that works with them. Maybe Koni yellows, maybe Bilsteins B6's etc. One last alternative - the Swiss outfit Hirsch Performance, who produce a suspension alternative seen by some as the best available for the 95, but they're not cheap. Search the website, I am sure this one has been well covered..but lest I forget, for springs only you could go down the route of Eibach Prokit lowering springs, H&R lowering springs, Abbot Racing springs and a number of others..most of these drop the car by 2-3 cm (or 1").

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.