SaabCentral Forums banner

04 9-5 Front Control Arm Bush Upgrade

7K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  5XSaabOwner 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased an 04 9-5 Linear Wagon with 83K miles for a song. The ride was comfortable, but soft; steering input was slow. It had new tires, so I focused on suspension parts.

I came across Dmitry's excellent tutorials (www.platonoff.com) and purchased the same high performance poly bushes he uses. As I am not a mechanic I had to pay others. Labor is tres expensive these days.

As she is my daily driver (and the polys not a quick drop in replacement) I purchased a new pair of OEM Front Control Arm Bushes (just the big ones that go on the rear). My mechanic installed the new ones so I could work on getting the bushes pressed out of the old ones: his hydraulic press was messed up. (See my ad they are now for sale). The new OEMs did little to improve handling, and the suspension still squeaked- probably the front bushes.

Total cost for two new OEM bushes was $200, plus labor, and I had to get an alignment ($70), plus the performance bushes. Some friends had the tools to remove the old bushes. The install included the new small front bushes, plus the large rear bushes, plus realignment ($371). All told I have about $700 invested.

WAS IT WORTH IT?

I am amazed at the immediacy of steering input and how it holds a tight line entering/exiting an interstate ramp. Also how quickly it responds to lane changes.

When you factor in that it needed bush replacement anyway, the difference in cost is well worth the investment.

OTHER UPGRADES

I replaced the air filter with a K&N. Yes I can feel the difference.

Brake pads were new, but not OEM. I replaced with ceramic, which work great, but still create a lot of dust.

Finally, I replaced my DI Cassette. When plugs were changed I noticed a small crack, though the code did not come up. I was not sure how old it was (maybe as new) so to be safe I installed a new one. It does run better now.

See less See more
#6 ·
Ok just so I follow, you replaced the front bushings with poly and the rear with OEM rubber, correct? Not exactly. As
the car is my daily driver, and my mechanic did not want to attempt this and leave me stranded, I had to do it in steps, first buying/installing new OEM rear bushes (to the front Control arm), so I could then remove the bushes from the old ones at my leisure. If you know what you are doing and have the time and equipment you won't need to buy a set of OEM Fronts.

You say it improved the' steering precision quite a bit; just curious as to why you didn't go poly on both. Because the front control arm has a front and rear bush it is confusing. I do have poly on both.

#3 ·
Confused? Both FRONT Control Arms have 2 bushes bushes (total of 4). All were replaced with poly. The front control arm is an 'A' arm. Each leg of the 'A' has a bush.

The bush towards the front of the vehicle is small, the bush towards the rear is large and press fit into an aluminum housing that must be retained. See www.platonoff.com for detailed instruction, including some 14 photos

The rear end suspension is still stock only due to the degree of difficulty (labor) to replace. Plus, the front gets the majority of the G forces

#4 ·
oem front rears are bolt in..

I need to do my front bushings (front and rear of the wishbone).

I had just done the rear trailing (in the rear of the car) with the Powerflex
polys... They made a big difference on the back. But cutting the aluminum
sleeve was about the limit of my ability..it took some time. I can't imagine
cutting out the aluminum sleeve on the front rear bushing ..it looks like one needs to cut out an aluminum sleeve that is in an aluminum housing? All without cutting into the housing. The OEM front rears are bolt on replacements. That route seems much easier and faster...the polys are cheaper though.

5XSaabOwner, did your mechanic say how bad the front wishbones were
that you replaced with poly? I would imagine the large rear bushing is what
causes most of the wishbone play? Did you get an alignment..did the bushings improve front camber??

#5 ·
See my comment within your post

I need to do my front bushings (front and rear of the wishbone).

I had just done the rear trailing (in the rear of the car) with the Powerflex
polys... (which model do you have?) They made a big difference on the back. But cutting the aluminum sleeve was about the limit of my ability..it took some time.

I can't imagine cutting out the aluminum sleeve on the front rear bushing ..it looks like one needs to cut out an aluminum sleeve that is in an aluminum housing? All without cutting into the housing. The OEM front rears are bolt on replacements. That route seems much easier and faster...the polys are cheaper though. My neighbor has a large vise. He used an industrial grade hacksaw to slice through the large Front Control arm bush sleeve, but that alone was not enough. He then used a chisel and hammer to dislodge. Unless you cut way too deep you should cause no harm to the aluminum housing that holds the poly bush.

5XSaabOwner, did your mechanic say how bad the front wishbones were
that you replaced with poly? The bushes had 83K on them. They were worn out. The front end squeaked. I wanted better handling than OEM would provide .

I would imagine the large rear bushing is what causes most of the wishbone play? Replacing the large Front Bushes with the OEMs was necessary as I was not equipped to do all this and need the car. The new OEM bushes did little to improve handling, and I still had a front end squeak.

Did you get an alignment..did the bushings improve front camber??
Yes it was aligned. I did not have a camber problem.

Further Impressions

The car is quicker off the line as well as accelerating in traffic now. No doubt due to getting rid of all that front end suspension slop.

#7 ·
front control arm bushings..

"I do have poly on both" ..

Ok...I get it... so you needed the oems rear wishbone bushings on until you could cut
out the old ones to put the polys in. That's my dilemma..its very easy to cut them out
with a drivable car..another to have the car in pieces trying to hack out the aluminum
while trying not to cut into the housing.. there's a lot of convenience in just bolting on oems.

That said, what a unique opportunity. So your saying when you replaced brand new OEM
bushings with poly there is a night and day difference in the front handling of the car?

I found when I did my rear suspension the polys did add some road harshness (worth it though).. would you say the all poly front bushings have made the front of the car more
harsh in terms going over bumps etc.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us.

#8 ·
"I do have poly on both" ..

Ok...I get it... so you needed the oems rear wishbone bushings on until you could cut
out the old ones to put the polys in. That's my dilemma..its very easy to cut them out
with a drivable car..another to have the car in pieces trying to hack out the aluminum
while trying not to cut into the housing.. there's a lot of convenience in just bolting on oems. Yes,and be very aware that the process of getting the old ones out is not a piece of cake. I tried. Had to rely on friends who had a heavy duty hydrolic press, then the hacksawing, but I did not have a manly hacksaw, so I gave up and found another friend. My almost new bushes are for sale, at a $70 savings from new.

That said, what a unique opportunity. So your saying when you replaced brand new OEM
bushings with poly there is a night and day difference in the front handling of the car? YES. YES YES

I found when I did my rear suspension the polys did add some road harshness (worth it though).. would you say the all poly front bushings have made the front of the car more
harsh in terms going over bumps etc. You got me checking that now. Did you do it yourself?

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us.
It's what good people do. Did you find www.plantonoff.com website?

#9 ·
These bushings are getting placed on my 9-5 rightnow.

The Front bush of the front control arm
The Rear bush of the front control arm

And the front antirollbar bushing, I hope im squeek free:D.

And the rear suspension bushing.

I hope to have the car back tomorrow.

I will let you know my experience asap. :)

#11 · (Edited)
Got my car back from my mechanic today.

I noticed the improvement in handling immediately with Poly powerflex bushings, when driving of the parkinglot.

On my way back home(60km) I had a HUGE smile on my face :cheesy:.

Steering is much more sharpened and precise.
Lanechanging has improved, Power is much more usable and much more traction in all gears, the improvement can be noticed at roundabouts:cheesy:.

Tracking is way better than before, and braking stability has improved alot, wich was allready better on my car because I have a strutbrace.

The ride is al littlebit more harsh but not annoying, the roads in Holland are really good, I dont know the quality of the roads in the USA. There is slightly more roadnoise in the cabin, but thats acceptable.

I highly recommed this upgrade :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.