SaabCentral Forums banner

ebay turbo =/

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  saab95lpt2l 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Hey, how's goin?

I do not recommend Ebay turbos at all. It WILL NOT last a very long time. IT IS very tempting to get one, but.. the time that'll be wasted in the future, along with possible engine failure BECAUSE of the turbo is not worth it!

(from the internet, but I've seen similar stuff happen to Ebay turbos in person)

If you're still shooting for a big power, you should get a used TD04-15t (stock aero), port it, and get a bigger compressor wheel. Although not saab, I've dyno turned a few T3T4 cars. Ours spool faster and are more efficient than T3-T4 in my opinion.

Also, if you are only gonna have the turbo on your car for like ~6mo and is not smoking, why not just run the turbo you have now?

How much play do you have?

#5 ·
A guy named Xsboost (Dave) on ebay use to sell rebuild turbos that are worth the money. So IMO not ALL ebay turbos are bad. You can buy one from some turbo shops and also have issues with them too. If you don't stick with the stock turbo specs with your stock ECU then you want see any benefits of a different turbo.

#6 ·
If you don't stick with the stock turbo specs with your stock ECU then you want see any benefits of a different turbo.

Agreed in terms of performance, but the TD-04 should also be more relaible.......which is a benefit ;)

#8 ·
Actually I agree with you! :p

And the more educated we become about regular oil changes the longer our turbos last ;)

#11 ·
I just replaced the original GT17 in my car that had 147k miles and was starting to smoke with a rebuilt TD-04 from xsboost(Dave) last week. Great turbo for the price including shipping. I'm still on the Linear ECU, but I also picked up an Aero ECU that I'm going to have married to the car next week.

Even with the stock ECU the car does pull a little harder and seems to have a little better legs that the GT17. I'm just happy to have the more reliable turbo in my car. Soon to replace the ECU and I'll have 65hp more than when I started. And further down the road I'll spend some dough to do a Nordic ECU upgrade, and hopefully I'll stop modifying it >>>> Yeah Right!

#12 ·
My gt1752s Turbo that i got from xsboost, started leaking oil in less then a year. I could have sendt it back, but it would take time and money to sendt it to the US to fix it, and I can´t be without my car that long. I bought a "china" turbo that was a direct fit, from a local carpart chain called Biltema. It has lasted longer then the rebuildt turbo, and still working great. So "china" turbo is not always bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.