SaabCentral Forums banner

Installing aftermarket air filter

20K views 59 replies 25 participants last post by  TMW 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I want to install a new cone style air filter on my 2000 Aero, is there a guide for this anywhere?

I understand it must have a 3 inch inlet, but what else do I need to know?

Also how long should the piece of 3 inch inlet tubing be?

Cheers!

#2 ·
Hi How are you. This is the BEST first upgrade you can do for your saab. You will love it. I have done this install probably over 20 times for people (myself included). Follow this link here for pictures and a step by step. Some people say to take the wheel off.. do not do this.. Follow these steps exactly.. I can now do this install in less than 10 minutes. Really easy. I use a 3 inch diameter pipe by 3 inch long. Instead of bolting the tube in place as shown with the GS intake bracket in the link, I use very heavy duty tie wraps (like the hand cuff ones) to hold it in place on the same mounting point. You are also going to need to make a splash guard from the stock intake box. YES YOU NEED A SPLASH GUARD. DO NOT listen to the people that say you do not need one.. they are wrong... I've seen a ruined a ruined engine for not having one. It's really easy to make. I spent a lot of time re-finding all these links for you so please review them carefully. If you have any questions.. let me know.. I have made this splash guard and intake setup for literally for 20 cars. Be careful not to undo any wires on the MAF, or if you do.. RECONNECT them lol.

http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/20070520.Saab_9-5_High_Flow_Intake/

http://84.40.23.30/forums/showthread.php?p=1365974

#4 ·
Thank you soooooooooo much ive been searching trying to find some way of installing a new air filter on my 2000 9-5 SE so that i can hopefully hear the turbo more!!! Also quick question......... did you get better gas mileage because ive seen things that say new filters= better gas mileage and ive seen things that say filters = crappier gas mileage. if your getting better mileage what are you getting? ATM for me im getting 21-22 and i punch it every so often :)

#7 ·
Awesome. Thanks guys.

I have a question about the splash guard though

Does it really need that much modifying? I don;t have a dremel so it could be an issue.

Could I install the new kit, then cut the top off the air box and let the new kit just sit in there rather than the rest of the modification to it? I figure if the new air filter sits down enough inside the box, it shouldn't be an issue?

#9 · (Edited)
It is better to cut the side of the air box to allow more air into the filter like in the pictures (and cut the top off of course). You dont have to plug the stock inlet on the box either if you leave the snorkel attached. In my case I just ripped that all out and capped the air box with a spray paint top like in the pictures. I could not get one to fit over the outlet, so I found one that would jam inside the hole instead and it works awesome. If you dont have a Dremel, you can do it with a hack saw and just cut it square instead of U shaped. You will get SLIGHTLY better mpg with normal driving. Maybe .5 to 1 mpg difference in realistic numbers. When the car is stock, its like trying to run a mile sprinting and only breathing through your nose.. you can do it.. its just a lot more work... Adding an open air intake would be equivalent to running that same mile but breathing through your mouth.. makes it a lot easier. If you are not going to drive in the rain, it will be okay to use without the splash guard for a few days. Just watch out for mud and stuff.

You will love the sound.. you mpg is going to go way down at first because you're going to be spooling that turbo like a mad man at every person you drive past for the first 2 weeks you have it... :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Next mod you should do... remove your resonator and muffler and weld in straight pipe, then weld the stock tip back on. If you have a good custom exhaust place near you.. should be 100 bucks or so to have both pipes changed. It's about as loud as one of those really aggressive loud mustangs with the "off road" exhaust system installed.... but of course it sounds 100% better ^. ^ A bit like a WRX I suppose but still better than that. I had a guy ask me if I had a v8 conversion in it.. I told him no.. its the stock 2.3.. he told me it was the BEST sounding 4 cyl he has ever heard.. He was driving a LAMBO too lol!

#8 ·
I'm planning on making my own air intake system this weekend. I bought a K&N filter with a 3" opening and I have 3" piping left over from my exhaust. So I'm going to weld a tab onto a small length of piping to create the same kind of adapter that the GS intake uses. It should turn out to be pretty much the same as the GS intake, but it only cost me $30

#13 ·
Its really loud at low low RPMS like when its cold and you first start it... once it warms up its not bad.. If you have the windows closed its not very loud at all (except all the people you drive past haha) On the highway it's silent with windows up. If you like to sneak out late at night to get away from your parents, gf, or wife, then this is NOT the mod for you ^.^

Yes you have to cut off the whole top section because you wont be able to fit it over the filter if you don't. You do not have to cut the side section, but it will allow more air for the filter to breathe if you do. Just make sure you cut the side facing the fender... or you'll have big problems haha. Because the box will be open now, (because it's cut) there wont be any real vacuum inside it, rendering the snorkel pretty useless. Meaning that the car wont really be sucking any air through it since all the air will be coming in from the fender area. It's kind of like electricity where it will take the path of least resistance.. the same goes for the air flow. The opening of the snorkel is facing the radiator, if it faced the other way it would be worth leaving in because you would get a slight ram air effect from it while driving. Have it face the radiator may allow warm air to travel down into your new filter setup during driving. You can leave it in if you want, but I removed mine, as most others do to prevent this problem.

#15 ·
On the subject of exhaust: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVgmrNldlHg Get a hold of some 3" piping and a perf. muffler...the SAAB 2.3 has great tone. It's half of a 4.6l V8 if you think of it that way, so you get more burble.

#16 ·
Here's what I made this morning. I took a small length of 3" piping and welded a tab onto it. Then I did some tack welds around the edges so the filter and the intlet hose will have something to grip onto. Then of course, I had to paint it chevy orange. It's the only paint I could find in the garage and no one is going to see it anyways. I'd rather have it orange than rusty.

I haven't drilled a hole for the mounting tab yet, I'll do that tomorrow when I install it.

#18 ·
I installed my new intake today. Installation was pretty straight forward, everything went together as expected. I didn't take the head light out though, just the corner housing.

It sounds BAD *** now. Seriously, sounds 500% better than before. The car feels quite a bit quicker now as well. I love the sound of the turbo at 11psi.

It was well worth the time and effort in my opinion.

#19 · (Edited)
Good work man. Filter mod rox! Make sure to do a splash guard though.

I agree that the 2.3 sounds like v-8 when you get a good exhaust setup. Mine sounds just like one.. but much cleaner. Very similar to the 9-3 in that video but with a deeper tone and more rumble. (stock pipe with resonator and muffler changed to straight pipe with stock tip welded on)

Like I said... a guy driving a 250,000 dollar car stopped and asked me if I had a v8t conversion ^.^ I love my car!!!!!

#20 · (Edited)
Well last night I installed the new filter and modded the airbox to make a splash guard as well as installing a new CPS.

All went well but I have a few minor concerns

There seems to be a lot of air filter exposed at the top, do you think this is dangerous in terms of when I wash my car?

When I drive it sounds great, but sometimes I hear a low hum or drone that lasts for a few seconds.....any idea of what this is?

I also didn't cut the side off the airbox because the top of the filter is so exposed anyway it seems it would suck enough air regardless, or should I do it anyway?

And I didn't re attach the snorkel, I took the whole plastic piece from out the front of the car, I assume this is O.K? As it is rendered pretty much useless anyway

#28 ·
Did anyone ever dyno the 2.3 with a k&n filter? The stock filter is huge..I don't see it being at all restrictive. As for colder air the snorkel takes care of that. I would be really worried about puddles with a setup like that.[/QUOTE

We don't need a water shield or any other shield. I've been running my K&N since I bought my car in February. Never once had an issue. Yes, I was nervous for about the first month. I'd check it for moisture, etc. a couple times a week. Then I realized I was being silly and quit checking it. I removed the entire stock air filter housing and assembly and do not worry about it.

Went to a Saab meet a while back. My fellow Wisconsin 9-5's that were there didn't run shields.

Nick at Genuine Saab. They don't run shields on any of their cars. ....maybe he should start making them. He could probably make a good amount of money fabbing these up, lol.

.....starting to feel like Chris when he responds to kids about blow-off valves.... :confused:

#39 ·
So just so I'm understanding correctly cause I really wanna do this, a splash guard isn't needed unless you just want to keep the filter looking nice and clean? I just don't want to cut up the airbox but I also don't want to screw anything up cause I wash my car and clean the engine and bay a lot lol. Plus it rains a fair amount here so the car gets driven in it on a reg basis.

#43 ·
No need for one in my opinion. Then again, I don't go driving through 2ft deep puddles.
Common sense is not a common virtue.

20k on mine and no issues at all. Home-wash, carwash, pressure wash. Snow, rain, hail, sleet, etc. It's Wisconsin, we have EVERY type of weather imaginable. I've been on the interstate when I could not see the vehicle 30 feet in front of me because it was raining so hard. 1 month ago the snow was up to my sideview mirrors. Wasn't worried.

I don't ford rivers and I don't drive through puddles when I don't know how deep they are. Freja isn't a submarine or an off-road vehicle.

If anyone has listened.... the people who tune our cars don't use splash guards. Is that registering with anyone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.