SaabCentral Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"AWD" Conversion Idea...

25K views 53 replies 27 participants last post by  Adonis3 
#1 ·
So I may have an idea that will allow us to convert our cars to an "AWD" type system for what I am going to assume is roughly $1500-$2000 uninstalled (This price is for parts, sounds ridiculous without more info, I know, but bear with me).

I was curious if how many people would be interested in a kit like this were I to put one together. Of course, this is still in the design phase, I just wanted to see what kind of audience this would entertain, and if it's even worth making more than one assuming it works how I'd like on my own vehicle.

Please don't make any assumptions about the idea, like I said, I'd just like to see what kind of audience I'm looking at.

#3 ·
If you can deliver such a system and assure your customers that it would be basically trouble free, I think you'll have tons of people interested. That said, I'm sure most people are immensely skeptical that this is possible at this point, without more details.

#4 ·
I expect there to be much skepticism, but realistically, if this works well I may end up patenting the idea.

Of course, I didn't want to get too far ahead of myself and wanted to check that there was actually a market for such a thing before investing too much time and/or money.

I'll release more details to you guys when I'm able.

#7 ·
Heck if you could adapt a dsm tranny and drivetrain to the 9-5 it would be great. You can pick up the full set up usually for 2k or less, And yes those are quite burly trannys. Get the transfer case rebuilt with a 4 gear spider gear and they're great. I wouldn't recommend using a subaru transmission with this idea though. They aren't exactly happy with lots of torque.

#8 ·
Not the way I'm planning on doing it.

This design won't require any transmission mods.

Like I said, there is no reason to debate the cost, as no one but me knows what the design is at the moment. :cool:

SaabNineThree, those are 1000+ HP cars, like you said... His point was that these cars have a lot of torque for their horsepower rating.

#15 · (Edited)
I think 1500 to 2500 is a reasonable price for this. I'm basically assuming this is going to run about the same as an LSD installed. Although, there are definitely always unforeseen changes in the price of things like this.

Remember, I'm still doing research and working out designs. I'm simply curious as to the audience.

#16 · (Edited)
The one concern I do have is the set-up of the rear suspension, and I feel that is really the limiting factor in this project.

It clearly (and the why is obvious) is not set up for any large amount of power to the rear wheels. I'm a bit concerned that with the trailing arm set-up, there is going to be some strange torque effects, not to mention it's already weak bushings might cause the suspension to hit weird camber and toe angles even more frequently. Ultimately, AWD may not be a reality on this particular car. However, I shall tread on... I'll call you guys my sample audience!

More homework is needed... :cool:

#17 ·
Good luck if you can do it, I have to admit I'm curious as to how you're planning to make it happen.

I'd definitely consider buying if you could make a reliable and workable solution that was trouble free.

#18 ·
AWD conversion...........I've just done it!:cool:

Simples :p

#21 ·
Lol! I can't give up my 9-5... I love 'er too much! :cry:

Plus I have no monies...

Is that your main car now, Chris? Quite a bit smaller than the 9-5! :eek:

ivanwakeup said:
dude, if i lived near you i would help you do it. I cant wait to see the final product, although honestly i bet it would be easiest to take an AW drivetrain from another car and modify that to fit. Are you proposing manufacturing a completely new one?
The problem I have with that would you'd have to move almost all of the undercarriage around, and redesign the rear suspension set-up (which really should be done anyway...).

The patent system is so bloated now days that from what I've seen, my idea could technically already be patented by someone else by complete accident. I might end up letting you all in on my plans sooner that I thought after a bit more research.

#20 ·
dude, if i lived near you i would help you do it. I cant wait to see the final product, although honestly i bet it would be easiest to take an AW drivetrain from another car and modify that to fit. Are you proposing manufacturing a completely new one?

#23 ·
Thinking out loud.

All us euro types know of the Vauxhall/Opel Omega. All know it's RWD. Could this setup/engine be used as a donor idea???? I know the engines especially the 2.5V6 is expensive on the head gasket change I had a 2.5V6 Auto Elite.

You could maybe either get pics on how the engine/trans setup is and compare to the 95. Although I could be completely off base.

#24 ·
Yeah the whole patenting system is really annoying. Make sure with that patent that you cover every base you can. Otherwise if it is a good idea that someone wants they can easily find a hole in it and make a small change, then use your idea as their own. I've got an idea of how you might be doing this with the stock tranny, but it would definitely involve some quite creative fabrication. Good luck though with this.

#29 ·
#33 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.