ipods with dock connector and saab possibilities [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: ipods with dock connector and saab possibilities

ek03
17th December 2003, 10:59 PM
I recently got a 40 GB ipod and it came with a remote, would it be cool if you could set the steering wheel controls for the ipod? change songs etc.

Troy9-3
1st January 2004, 04:27 PM
it would be cool, but doubt it is possible. Although, my dad has it programed into his 745; but only as a FM channel & not in the Idrive program. That would have costed thousands.

Troy J

iceben
4th January 2004, 01:49 AM
Brother-in-law is installing an Ipod in his Audi by attaching to the prewiring for a CD changer. Someone apparently makes connector cables and it tricks the head unit into thinking the Ipod is a changer.

ek03
4th January 2004, 01:42 PM
do you know the manufacterer of that cable?

iceben
5th January 2004, 09:16 PM
He didn't say but I did a Webcrawler search and came up with this:

http://www.autotoys.com/New_Tech/DIY_2000/Audi_Symphony_Aux_MP3_Adapter/Audi_Symphony_Aux_MP3_Adapter.html

I'm sure there are others.

USNA '00
5th January 2004, 09:27 PM
I doubt they would work because of the way our system is set up. Blitzsafe is the one that comes to mind...but, since our system is fiber-optic, and the cd changer has to be electronically married to the bus, I doubt that any aux-input adapter could work. Better off using an fm transmitter and/or waiting for Saab to get their act together and release an aux port retrofit. Doubt the latter will happen, though.

I use the iTrip, and I'm very happy with it. I drove across the country using only my iPod for music. I'd highly recommend it as a solution for putting your iPod in your car. :-)

JONBY
6th January 2004, 05:16 AM
I have the 3-13 audio option in my aero, which came with the aux port enabled. I didnt think i would use it until I received an ipod as a pressy!

I am so stunned, I dont even use the cd changer anymore! I have mounted the dock in the centre armrest, with a cable from the line out of the docking stand to the aux port, and a charger from the power socket in the armrest also to the docking stand.

There is even an indentation when you close the armrest to allow the remote to poke out! You can change source on the steering wheel of course. It is so easy - my local apple centre had never seen a car so suited to fitting an ipod!

moz
7th January 2004, 03:36 AM
What torture, if only us poor saps in the US could get AUX working!

pjku79
7th January 2004, 01:47 PM
I have the 3-13 audio option in my aero, which came with the aux port enabled. I didnt think i would use it until I received an ipod as a pressy!

I am so stunned, I dont even use the cd changer anymore! I have mounted the dock in the centre armrest, with a cable from the line out of the docking stand to the aux port, and a charger from the power socket in the armrest also to the docking stand.

There is even an indentation when you close the armrest to allow the remote to poke out! You can change source on the steering wheel of course. It is so easy - my local apple centre had never seen a car so suited to fitting an ipod!

Hey take some pics of you could.

-andrew-
24th January 2004, 07:24 AM
Brother-in-law is installing an Ipod in his Audi by attaching to the prewiring for a CD changer. Someone apparently makes connector cables and it tricks the head unit into thinking the Ipod is a changer.

Yeah, the VW and Audi guys have it easy when it comes to installing an iPod in the car. I've got my 15gb interfaced through the radio's CD changer input on my '00 GTI thru a PIE aux input cable. Fools the radio into thinking it's got a changer connected when in reality it doesn't. Works nice. I mounted the iPod in a cell phoe mount off the pass side of the dash nicely within reach of the stick (mount is similar to the accy cell phone mount available for the 9-3) Here's a link to some stuff from the VAG world: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=509131

Anyway, I've been looking at 9-3's for a little while now, and yesterday the GTI gave up on me (timing belt gave up at 90k, lotsa damage with 5 valves per cylinder). I test drove an Arc yesterday and will hopefully take delivery in a few days. Is the iPod a lost cause in the 9-3?

ek03
24th January 2004, 01:18 PM
not lost just be patient like all the other 9-3 owners HAVE to be :o

SCSaab
27th January 2004, 02:46 PM
There is another company, icelink, that sells the adapters which connect the ipod through the head unit input for the disc changer. Then, you can use headunit/steering wheel controls for changing songs. Unfortunatley, there is not an option available yet for Saab. They do have a fiber optic solution for BMW, so there is hope for us that they can develop one of our fiber optic run system as well.

Go to:www.ice-link.com

and make sure to click the link to contact the company. Ask them to make an ice-link cable for the Saab 9-3 Sport Sedan! If enough people demand it, I'm sure they'll produce one.

Recent Forum topic detailing this:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23295