Sluggish 9000 2.3 Turbo 1997 [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Sluggish 9000 2.3 Turbo 1997

NoelTurbo
24-04-02, 12:51 PM
I drive a 9000 2.3 Turbo which I find to be sluggish. I formerly drove a 1991 2.3 Turbo which was much faster than my present car. Although the local Saab dealer says there is nothing wrong with the car, I am convinced that it is not performing properly. In the last couple of days a light has illuminated on the dash which says "check engine". This happened before and I had it reset in the garage but I am wondering if anyone has any reasons why this might be happening. Even when the light is not on, I still don't think it is performing well. Is this typical of 1997 2.3 Turbo's? Has anyone any thoughts? How can I boost the performance of the car without spending a fortune?

Roger
04-06-02, 05:19 PM
Hi, Noel, I have had a very similar experience to you and have had it explained to me like this: the earlier 2.3 turbo retained the gear ratios of the 2.0 litre, and so the acceleration felt really vicious; however in the later 2.3 turbo the ratios were changed so they were "taller" so the car is a better cruiser. I would suggest that there is nothing wrong with your car, the dealer is right, but didn't give you the reason for your query. Regards......

9000Carlsson
05-06-02, 03:29 PM
The gearing is definately taller on newer 9000's - my 1991 2.3T Carlsson can be brutal in its acceleration :grin: I wouldn't expect it to feel sluggish though - check that all the pipes / hoses around the Turbo are connected properly / not corroded.

Is this a 2.3LPT or a Full Pressure Turbo? If it is a FPT it will have the Turbo Boost Guage. The LPT would be about 170BHP as opposed to 200BHP for the FPT. If it is an Aero it will be 225BHP and should definately not feel sluggish!

Kevin Mc
1991 Carlsson 2.3T (220 BHP :grin:)

NoelTurbo
20-06-02, 12:26 PM
Thanks for your comments regarding the change of gearbox. I'm sure you've given me a good explanation for the reduction in acceleration. I wish Saab had continued to use the previous gearbox. As far as I am concerned the car has lost all the "buzz", and I certainly wouldn't consider buying another one with the higher ratio gearbox. The car is a full blown turbo and should perform as such!