SaabCentral Forums banner

Just ordered B&G S2 lowering springs for the Combi

6K views 45 replies 12 participants last post by  zachc 
#1 ·
So I finally did it! I put in the order and should get them pretty soon. I'm a bit nervious as it's a 1.6" drop and I'll be doing it on stock shocks that have a little over 120k on them.

I'll post before pix in the next couple days and after pix as soon as I get them on.

#3 ·
Yup, that's pretty much what's in the works right now.

A few things to keep in mind are that the labour is free (cousin works at a shop), money is an issue and it's 120k km not miles (not sure if that makes a diff).

I figure I'll replace the shocks once the stock ones begin to fail...which will probably be soon with the new springs.

Is this a really bad idea...or just a kinda bad idea?

#9 ·
it might indeed make a difference. (120k vs 120k)

and if those springs are comparable to the oem aero then maybe they will work "ok", then again maybe not. you need to match the shock compressed and extended lengths with the spring travel. (they have shorter shocks to be used with lowering springs) if not you will limit out the shock. nevermind the shock dampening is matched to the spring characteristics.

is it really "that" bad an idea?

maybe not. if you can pick up some bilstein hd (or other ie koni) shocks of the correct length (for lowered springs if required) in a short while it might provide you with a good before and after comparison. as long as you don't try to drive hard with a poorly set up modified suspension and loose control and kill yourself or somebody else that is (*parental mode kicking in for second. lol)

#8 ·
not nearly low enough. they can but i maxed out the dampers so they cant adjust anymore lmao.

yes, kinda bouncy but its fun.
so you're riding on the internal limit of the stock shocks?

yeah...

you guys kinda remind me of a young buck coworker... he cut the springs on his yota truck recently.

I was ???

asked him a few pointed questions where he was ???

looked underneath and pointed out his arms were resting on his frame. :eek:

even after pointing this out and explaining how things work I still don't think he gets it.

I really lol at how many people really just don't "get it".

broke? no money?

spend a couple hours at making money and then less time working so hard at being cheap.

maybe that only comes with experience.

:cool:

#7 ·
I can assure you that your rear shocks are dead if they haven't ever been replaced. Bilstein HD's for the rear are VERY cheap. You should at least replace those when you are doing the springs.

That said, I'd love to see a picture of the stance once it's done. Most of the springs for these cars specify that they are for the sedan. Some others state that they are for the sedan/wagon. Obviously, the wagon has about 150 additional pounds sitting over the rear suspension versus the sedan. Springs intended for a sedan, but fitted to a wagon usually result in a bit of an odd stance in my experience.

#10 · (Edited)
That said, I'd love to see a picture of the stance once it's done. Most of the springs for these cars specify that they are for the sedan. Some others state that they are for the sedan/wagon. Obviously, the wagon has about 150 additional pounds sitting over the rear suspension versus the sedan. Springs intended for a sedan, but fitted to a wagon usually result in a bit of an odd stance in my experience.

You're absolutely right about the wagon versus sedan spring options. That's the main reason I went with B&G as these are only meant for the wagon. They have different ones for the sedan. I just couldn't wrap my head around springs being okay for both.

I'll be posting pix for sure. I'll also think about the HDs for the rear...is it okay to do the rear only...any other consequences?

#14 · (Edited)
$270 shipped...let's see what customs add to that.

I was going to put them on the stock dampers/shocks but now people have me worried.

So I'm trying to research Konis vs. Bilsteins (within which Sport vs. HD). Opinions vary...I just want a comfortable ride with some performance benefits.

Also trying to find the most cost effective place to buy them from. I'd like to buy them local. If anyone knows of a good place that sells either brand in Ontario, I would love to hear from you.

At this rate we may have to wait til spring for the pix :roll:

#16 ·
Get Bilstein Sports for lowering springs. Myself and many others wouldn't recommend the Koni Yellows, but a lot of people love them too. The Bilstein HD and Koni FSD are awesome shocks, but I wouldn't recommend them on a lowering spring... they are best paired with Eibach (soft lowering) or any stock springs (esp the Aero ones).

Definitely not a great idea to replace the springs without shocks at 120k. Mine were nearly worthless at that point... the Bilsteins made the car handle like a dream :cool:. Seriously tight, controlled european sports sedan handling. A MILLION times better than stock. Firm yet comfortable.

Save up, get Bilstein sports all around and do the whole job at one time. I did all of my suspension tuning on a Starbucks salary so i'm sure you can handle it too ;)

#24 ·
This. Bilstein sports are the way to go. Konis by design is inferior.. I've spent many many hours researching what dampers to buy prior to making a decision.

Common understanding about Bilstein HD vs Sport is that sport is the same as HD while having 1" shorter shock travel.

WRONG.

Some shock dynos performed against Bilstein HD and Sport designed for the same year of same model car, showed that the sport version has stiffer compression and rebound forces. (more so with the compression)

My front shocks are still the original Sachs, and are doing ok.

Rears were shot.. and going with Bilstein sport just for the rear made significant differences for day-to-day as well as on-the-limit cornering.

I really need to do the fronts soon, too. :roll: money is always an issue.

#21 · (Edited)
So they should be here on Monday...not so sure about the route to the Toronto Area though

Location Date Local Time Description

HODGKINS, IN, US
23/09/201014:13 DEPARTURE SCAN
23/09/201013:26 ARRIVAL SCAN

HODGKINS, IL, US
23/09/201012:41 DEPARTURE SCAN
23/09/201011:46 ARRIVAL SCAN

WINDSOR, ON, CA
22/09/201015:42 REGISTERED WITH CLEARING AGENCY / SHIPMENT SUBMITTED TO CLEARING AGENCY
22/09/201015:42 REGISTERED WITH CLEARING AGENCY WINDSOR, ON, CA
21/09/20108:06 PACKAGE DATA PROCESSED BY BROKERAGE. WAITING FOR CLEARANCE

LOS ANGELES, CA, US
21/09/20103:30 DEPARTURE SCAN
21/09/20101:06 ARRIVAL SCAN

SAN DIEGO, CA, US
20/09/201022:40 DEPARTURE SCAN
20/09/201016:42 PICKUP SCAN US
20/09/201018:56 BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

#22 ·
And?:confused:

#25 ·
#27 ·
I'm thinking the Bilstien HDs, B&G say that their springs are good with both stock or lowering struts. Worried about too firm a ride. What does everyone think?

I got the springs but my cousins in Vegas and can't put them in this coming weekend, so it'll have to be the next.

Also thinking about placing one of the rings (see link), for cosmetic reasons. Keeping the rear wheel wells (visually) above the front.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Saab...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf22bca09

One on each rear side would mean a 1.6" drop up front and 1.25" in the rear. Thoughts?

#28 ·
Hmmm, now that I realised you have just bought lowering springs, I am struggling with the idea of sticking washers in there to raise it again........

#35 ·
I did that with my tires this past summer. I got through the border; they searched me, but did not touch the tires;
From where I live, the closest border crossing is in Niagara Falls - Buffalo;
That place is a sh!thole (sorry if i am offending anyone); I don't want anyone there working on my car;
another option would be to ship it with USPS, this way you don;t get the brokerage fees and stuff;

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.