Hmmm....looks like it might fit a 900...... [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Hmmm....looks like it might fit a 900......

Keith
24th April 2002, 08:34 AM
FMIC (http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=89747)

tandino
24th April 2002, 09:09 AM
Yeah Keith,
It looks very similar to a 9K one but the endtanks are probably better shaped for our application!
Oh and its all ally- but isnt this a negative in terms of heat build up?
Pete.

Keith
24th April 2002, 09:25 AM
Not sure, more heatsink capacity initially, just depends if the endtanks stay hot for ages. Stick a waterspray on that thing and I'd say it would be a big improvement. Just wondering what the flow would be like through it? Can't be too bad if it was designed to cope with enough air for an MAN lorry!

http://upload.turbosport.co.uk/gallery3/200242383749757850.JPG

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Keith on Apr 24, 2002 1:26pm ]</font>

Janne Selinummi
24th April 2002, 10:54 AM
I don't know if an all-alloy design is worse in terms of heat build up. Would seem it's not! Anyway, you can't use plastic end tanks with high boost anyhow, so all-alloy is a must.

And all the racing and rallying cars have all-alloy intercoolers - I guess they have to be better that way.

Keith
24th April 2002, 11:23 AM
I was thinking it might heat up more from being in close proximity to the engine radiator being all ally.

Alex
24th April 2002, 02:40 PM
Until the intercooler has reached an equilibrium state it acts as a heat soak, so the more metal the better (also the reason why a charge cooler is so effective in normal driving conditions).

I would have thought that we would have more trouble with having open cone filters under the bonnet when standing in traffic than with the end tanks getting warm.

Janne Selinummi
24th April 2002, 05:39 PM
It has been stated, that there are limits to intercooler sizing - you can't use a big truck IC efficiently with, say, a Garrett T02 turbochager.

I hear it's because a small turbocharger doesn't have the capacity to "fill" the big IC properly, and this provides excessive lag and other "interesting" features.

What do you people think, could one use a really big truck IC in conjuction with a Saab stock T03, or does it require a bigger turbo?