SaabCentral Forums banner

Lip spoiler ?

2K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Chris 9-5 
#1 ·
Thinking of a rear lip spoiler, opinions? If any of you have done this mod, where did you get the spoiler?

#3 ·
#4 ·
It came painted and was a perfect match, you just have to supply them with your color code at checkout. The spoiler does not require any hardware to install. It comes with high strength double sided tape already installed on the bottom, so you align it how you want (it is slightly bendable so you can match the contour of the trunk) and peel off the lining on the tape, and job done. Takes less than 5 minutes.

#5 ·
Did it come with two narrow strips of 3M double-sided tape on the bottom or one wide strip? Just curious as there are a bunch of these floating around ebay. At one point I was attempting to fit an actual E39 M5 spoiler to my Aero, but turns out the Aero trunk is slightly wider; go figure. I think it could possibly be heated and shaped to fit the contour but it's an expensive prototype to mess with. The advantage of the factory M5 spoiler is that is has a recess underneath for the tape to sit in which allows for a flush fit on the trunk as opposed to the others which leave a gap as high as the thickness of the 3M tape...Not a big deal but still...

Of course partsforsaabs carries a Hirsch-style lip spoiler which looks perfect, but unfortunately shipping is pretty high across the pond to the States for that size item...

Cheers.

#9 ·
I'll take a picture as soon as I can. The spoiler has, like mentioned, the two strips of tape on the bottom. This causes it to be ever so slightly not flush, but it is near impossible to notice unless you know its there. I think this is especially the case with my car being the Steel Metallic Grey, as the tape virtually matches the color of the car already.

#12 ·
Sorry for lagging on the pictures, guys. I've been traveling and forgot my camera, so the best I can do is guy you some pics from my blackberry. As can be seen, its also been raining a lot. The adhesive has held strong so far for a little over 1000 miles in rain, fog, and highway conditions and shows no sign of weakening yet. Here are the pics:

#21 ·
Which Bimmer? The only one I found that was even close to the right size was the e39 M5 factory lip spoiler, and when I measured it the length was too short by a bit and the curve wasn't enough. *Maybe* it could be softened and shaped by heating it; The great thing about the M5 one is that it has a recess on the underside for the tape so it mounts flush. I think the actual Hirsch one is affixed via adhesive so it fits flush but if you wanna remove it....:eek:

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.