SaabCentral Forums banner

High Flow Intake

3K views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  Saab_Love 
#1 ·
The package offered through Genuine Saab is around $80. I was curious if they provide a splash guard or anything of the sort. I remember another parts website offered up a High Flow Intake and they talked about needing to make a splash guard to prevent hydro lock.

Will I need to fabricate a splash gaurd? What all is involved with doing so?

Thanks again

#2 ·
You can get away with not having one if you live in a dry area (not alot of rain fall). I would recommend getting one for the sake of being safe, you will most likely have to fab one, it's not complicated and you can usually find something to work. For instance I used an interior plastic trim piece off of a 90's range rover, cut a little, push a little, drill a hole and make it work. Used all spare parts and stuff from around the garage. Hope that helps.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info SDTurboEstate. I will be sure to be prepped for it when I drop it in this weekend. Saturday is the only day of the week the salvage yard opens up for pulling parts so I will see what I can find to work.

So it just needs to be a flat, square(ish) piece of plastic that you drill holes in and mount below the intake?

#4 ·
The piece I used has two verticle sides and a flat bottom, when you take off the air filter can and look up there, you can see places to use bolts, or zip-ties, and get a mental picture before you go to the yard. It's sort of a hack job, but if you get the bottom covered and a little verticle protection, you are fine.

#7 ·
That definitely helps! Ill be sure to take a peak this weekend. Hopefully its a dry day on Saturday when I get to replace the Intake. Ill be able to replace, drive to salvage for some scrap plastic, and then mount the guard back at the hobby shop garage.

#13 ·
#16 ·
I just got a call from Genuine Saab about shipping both parts together. The snorkel is a replacement for the stock air box and since the high flow air intake kit is getting rid of the stock air box then the snorkel is unnecessary. So if you are going with the High Flow Air Intake kit then don't order the snorkel at the same time. You can't use both of these parts without fabrication. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

#19 ·
Advanced auto has the same filter for 30 dollars and a universal mounting bracket (same as GS bracket) for 12.99.. better than 80 if you ask me

this is what I did using the stock box http://84.40.23.30/forums/showthread.php?p=1365974

And this is far better than any splash guard u can buy. it works awesome

#21 ·
Advanced auto has the same filter for 30 dollars and a universal mounting bracket (same as GS bracket) for 12.99.. better than 80 if you ask me

this is what I did using the stock box http://84.40.23.30/forums/showthread.php?p=1365974

And this is far better than any splash guard u can buy. it works awesome
Sweet! Just what I was looking for. Seeing how I'm in Canada, we don't have any Advanced auto stores here (at least not where I live), and the filter itself costs $80 at partsource :(, so I'm pretty much stuck buying the kit off of genuinesaab unless advanced auto ships here, I'll have to look into it at home...ugh work.

#31 ·
I am just going to get rid of my snorkel altogether, plug the oem hole in the airbox, cut two 2.5inch holes in the back (near fender-well), and shield them with patches from an Outerwears pre-filter. I figure this mod only needs me to buy a water resistant pre-filter and cut a couple holes. No adapter or cone filter required and less risk of hydro-lock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.