SaabCentral Forums banner

Maptun Coilover kit 2002+ ?!!!

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  j006 
#1 ·
#7 ·
Yeah just finished installing them this weekend, took me a while to find the time. Dropped my car off at the Saab dealer to have the alignment done and pick it up tonight. My buddy works at the dealer and said the main Saab guy said my car's the best handling Saab he's driven, haha. I went ahead and lowered it a bit too. I'll try and get some picks up during the holidays.

As far as order info, I found these through Stateofnine.com. I think they ran about $1,700, and I convinced the guys to not charge me for shipping. Then I had to wait about a month or two for them to arrive.

#12 ·
Yeah I think with the crashing Euro it would have been cheaper to order directly from Maptun and pay the international shipping, but I think they only sell to dealers. I just refinanced my car and asked for an extra $1,500, still lowered my payments by $70 a month.
Maptun has an exclusive distribution agreement with StateofNine, and they hold everyone else's feet to the fire. So for example, if you try to order a Maptun piece from NeoBrothers, you'll run into a brick wall and they'll tell you call SoN. It's not very cool at all, because then SoN jacks the prices up to the point where it would be cheaper to order direct from Maptun and have it shipped internationally (and pay the customs fee).

And so many of the items can be obtained much cheaper at other places. I'm a big Maptun fan (obviously with my tune) but in many cases their business model excludes them right out of the mainstream market in the US when people start to shop around. Take a 19t, for example - would you pay $2k for one? That's what they want on SoN for one. They could make so much money if they adjusted their pricing a bit, IMHO.

#13 ·
Here's a case in point. If you want a high-flow fuel tank assembly, Maptun lists it at $537 USD

http://www.maptun.com/shopProduct.php?pid=1733&hl=113&cg=753&car=95

but you cannot order it from them, you must order from State of Nine, who lists the same part for $886 (supposedly "marked down" from $1,267).

http://www.stateofnine.com/product/MTSE-91733/9-5-Replacement-High-Flow-Fuel-Tank-Assembly.html

How the hell does something that lists for $537 in EU cross the Atlantic and suddenly gain $350 in pricing? I mean, if you factor in the customs fee and shipping, it still wouldn't make it to that price (which is without the addition of a customs fee and shipping).

talk about middle-man markup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.