SaabCentral Forums banner

New owner, a few questions!

959 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  CHIENDOG 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I've been reading the forums since I got my 2001 9-5 last weekend (love it, last ride was a '98 Chevy Malibu, ugh i know, and before that I had a '92 Nissan Maxima, great car) and now I have some questions that I couldn't find info on yet.

I'm looking on grabbing a high flow intake from genuinesaab and was wondering if anyone has had any issues with this, or if any other upgrades are needed.

I'm also wondering if I should change my vacuum hose. They have some silicone ones on the site, that are a nice bright blue.

Has anyone ever changed there hoses, if so, it would be great to get some insight to it. (eg. problems you ran into, things I should avoid, etc.).

Thanks for all the info I already found out without having to post anything yet, this is definitely the best site I found for information regarding my new ride. :cheesy:

#2 ·
Not heard of any issues with the GS high flow intake.

Always a good idea to do the vacuum hose, they get brittle with heat/age. You'll need about 8ft of 3.5 or 4.0mm ID silicon hose to do a replacement job. Remove one piece of hose at a time and cut the new silicon to the same length and replace, that way you always know where the next piece of hose goes and don't end up with a puzzle on your plate. ;)

#5 ·
You probably won't mess with those hoses at all when going to the silicone vacuum hoses. The hose you should get is 4mm and will replace all hoses coming off of the throttle body (as well as some others). Take a look at these and look around the engine bay for others of the same size to get a feel for what you will be replacing. Like Kermit said, one at a time and 30-45mins of your time does the trick.

#9 ·
You probably won't mess with those hoses at all when going to the silicone vacuum hoses. The hose you should get is 4mm and will replace all hoses coming off of the throttle body (as well as some others). Take a look at these and look around the engine bay for others of the same size to get a feel for what you will be replacing. Like Kermit said, one at a time and 30-45mins of your time does the trick.
So I shouldn't be replacing these as well? They seem a bit brittle...The top one that is plugged off now was actually severed before I ended up plugging it.

#11 ·
If they seem brittle then replace them, but I'm 99% sure that none of the three hoses are 4mm. Mine are all silicone, and I never replaced them. Possible that the PO did at some point, but I doubt it.
OK sweet,

I'll start with replacing the throttle body hoses first, and take a second look at the three hoses coming off of the boost control valve.

thanks for the help! :cheesy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.