SaabCentral Forums banner

Camshaft Upgrades

965 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  nfusaf 
#1 ·
I was looking at the camshaft upgrades offered through GenuineSaab.com and was curious about the two types offered. One is suggested for Stage 4 and the other is suggested for Stage 5. If there are plans to continue on from Stage 4 to Stage 5 would it a better idea to just go with the Stage 5 upgrade in Camshafts?

#3 ·
You dont need cams for stage 5 at all. and the enems ( the ones GS sells) requires ECU timing and/or adjustable timing geras way advanced - and very complicated for a new tuner. those cams are good for racing but not so much for driving all the power is moved to the top end ( unless you dial them in diferently using the adjustable gears and ECU

What you will want to so is as 9-3 said use "T5" cams, ( cams from a T5 saab, new generation 900 or 9000. They are like 50 to 100 bucks used.

But liek I said you donlt need them and your car will seem more "laggy" sicne even those move power up somewhat so streetability suffers.

what you shoud do, really is start with exhasut ( and do suspension too) intercooler and get stage III, then get turbo 19T TD04 or T28. Stage IV, then get your T5 cams....

All this can be done on stock pistons you will be at around 300 or so HP and faster than a stock GTO

#4 ·
Yeah, I know I need to get through the first 3 stages first. I'm just looking ahead and getting an idea of overall cost when I am done. Through GS its looking like most of the parts involved with upgrading will cost around $8,000.

For moving up from stock pistons what needs to be done?

#5 ·
Yeah, I know I need to get through the first 3 stages first. I'm just looking ahead and getting an idea of overall cost when I am done. Through GS its looking like most of the parts involved with upgrading will cost around $8,000.

For moving up from stock pistons what needs to be done?
Wow $8000? That would get you a rebuilt engine, balanced, ported, polished as well as a GT3071 way above a staged tune. I am at stage V and the first time was at 3 max,

All you need is full 3" exhaust (800) turbo ( 500 for a rebuilt upgraded one) IC (600 if you get a drop in 200 if you hook up a FMIC) Injectors (250) high flow filter (75) and larger snorkel (20) t5 Cams (50) tune (350)

To get pistons you need to pull the head and the pan, disconnect the rods and pull them out th etop , hone ( maybe depends on the condition of the block, if you can still see the hatch marks and there is no ring lap ridge you you can do without.

#6 ·
Make that around $5,500 for what I want. Since this is my first car I ever get to drop after market and performance upgrades and mods into I'm planning on really taking these upgrades to the absolute maximum I can.

As for hitting the 300 hp point, what all is required for upgrading the engine to allow for going beyond the 300 hp max?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.