SaabCentral Forums banner

which boost gauge

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  LincolnW 
#1 ·
and is there a DIY thread for the 9-5? i saw one for 9-3, i know it should be something along the same lines. sometimes the manuf has a tap in the manifold for this purpose...

#4 ·
I went with the Omori electronic boost gauge. I like it because the lighting matches the stock dash pretty well.

I tapped into the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line. I've found the fuel pressure regulator line to be the most accurate line in the past.

For now, I put the gauge between the dash and a-pillar. It holds fine and works great for now. I might put it somewhere else later if I get bored, but for now I think it's fine where it is.

#16 ·
I went with the Omori electronic boost gauge. I like it because the lighting matches the stock dash pretty well.

I tapped into the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line. I've found the fuel pressure regulator line to be the most accurate line in the past.

For now, I put the gauge between the dash and a-pillar. It holds fine and works great for now. I might put it somewhere else later if I get bored, but for now I think it's fine where it is.

Did you cover up the back of it at all or do you have a pic of it as your looking at it from the windsheild.

#5 ·
Why are you getting 20 psi vacuum? Mine reads in bar but i never see a Vacuum reading except for the time I had it hooked to the diverter valve and all it showed was the vacuum I got as I dumped off my boost.

I have mine in between the throttle body and the solenoid on the firewall. I Tried the fuel regulator and the one above that on the same tower on the manifold and didn't really get the right readings. Right off the throttle body gave me good readings though. Do I have it in a bad spot?

#6 ·
It needs to get a direct signal from the intake manifold, after the throttle body. You want the boost gauge to read the pressure in the intake manifold, which is the pressure going into the cylinders.

If you connect the boost signal to a source before the throttle body, then you'll get a boost reading but not a vacuum reading. (Vacuum is created because the cylinders are sucking air past the throttle body which is closed, or not open wide enough).

Anyways, if you are only seeing a boost reading, then just move the source to read from the intake manifold after the throttle body. I've always known that to be the most accurate place anyways.

By the way, vacuum is measure in 'inches of mercury'. My car pulls about 23 in/Hg at idle after it's warmed up, I just took that picture when the car was cold.

#8 ·
I recommend VDO boost gauges. They are accurate and reliable. VDO made OEM saab instrumentation for years, so it seems only right to have one sitting on a 9-5 dash. I ran the vacuum line through the hole for the hood release years ago. So far so good. I believe you have to tap after the throttle plate in order to get vacuum. I remember it taking me a while to find the right place to tap.

#11 ·
thanks for the tips guys. i definitely want it right before the manifold to get the vac readings (helps with fuel economy too).

does anyone know which ones have the pillar mount? any alternative locations? that spot is where i stick the GPS these days (i could always go a bit higher).

#12 ·
I know that some people pull out the headlight switch, relocate it to the panel above the pedals, then put the gauge in it's place (should be a perfect fit with a 52mm gauge). Personally, I like to be able to have a good line of sight to the boost gauge, so I just mounted mine partway up the left A-pillar with a universal pod. You could easily arrange a single gauge on the A-pillar in a way that wouldn't interfere with your GPS (unless yours is a 5 or 6" model...).

#15 ·
Yeah mine is wired into the dimmer as well and it works great. You have to tap the light switch.

#17 ·
Here's where I grabbed a signal from for the boost gauge. You can see the fuel pressure regulator on the right side, I just put a T between that and the IM and ran a line to the sensor.

Here's where I mounted the sensor. I just zip tied it onto some other wires.

And here's what the back of the gauge looks like. I didn't cover it up because honestly I don't really care all that much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.