Saab-Daniel's '91 MC 'Vert "Yellow Lightning" - smooth and driveable edition #2 [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Saab-Daniel's '91 MC 'Vert "Yellow Lightning" - smooth and driveable edition #2

Saab-Daniel
1st September 2010, 12:59 AM
Hi all.
As some of you may know, I've been around for a few years, last 2 has been very quite due to me putting my C900 T8 in the garage (driving a 9000 aero), awaiting for better time for me to get to all the rust and things that hides underneath a 1983 c900. I had quite a nice project-thread: http://84.40.23.30/forums/showthread.php?t=84691 - basically outlining a lot of the MS-work I did on the car, along with a few other small mods like IC ect.

Now, I've moved to the states, will be in Wichita, KS for a couple of years with work, I might as well make the best of it!
So, I've decided to come back into the fold I love the most, the c900.
And what better way of doing so, by getting a c900 Monte Carlo, from 1991. The Brazen Orange 2006 GTO is the daily driver - also fun stuff:

http://a.imageshack.us/img844/9518/img0844e.jpg

The Yellow Lightning is in great condition overall. NO rust at all, a yellow underbelly, great paint with only minor points to adress - 1 scratch, and the need for either reparing of the bumpers or 2 new ones, at some point later on.
First things first - the objective of this project is somewhat similar to the one I've already done earlier - I already have a megasquirt-unit lying around, so I've placed orders for a MS wiring harness, a new boost solenoid and other different connectors, to start an MS-install during the labour-day weekend.
This time around, I really want to make a very clean and hidden install, not too many wires lying around ect, and as last time, I will start with an ignition-setup, leaving fuel alone for the time being. I will probably bring in boost-control and ignition-retard when knock occours, to keep boost up.
These 2 mods provides great benefit to overall driveability, and tuning is fast and easy.
Later on, I will add fuel-control, but I'm not looking to build a hugely powerfull car, but rather a car that's nimble and provides great driveability. At some point a 3" downpipe will most likely be added with a battery re-location, but this comes later on, I'm in no rush - the car will not get out in rain or during winter, so I will have some time to do the mods I want and find as fun to do...

So, that's the initial rundown, will add with pictures once I get further with the car - love to have a summer-car that dosn't have to be driven everyday :-)

/Daniel.

philjohnhb
1st September 2010, 04:29 AM
Nice to see you back doing something like this Rev, I didn't think it would take you long!

James Bond
1st September 2010, 06:41 AM
Snap.

manual or auto?

Saab-Daniel
1st September 2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks!
It's a manual, it has done 127.000 miles, but it really dosn't show, so that's nice!
Phil: I read all the post I missed on your car, must say I'm impressed with the work done, it looks very very nice indeed...
During winter time, how do you prep your car for standing still for such a long time?
/Daniel.

philjohnhb
1st September 2010, 02:58 PM
Thanks!
It's a manual, it has done 127.000 miles, but it really dosn't show, so that's nice!
Phil: I read all the post I missed on your car, must say I'm impressed with the work done, it looks very very nice indeed...
During winter time, how do you prep your car for standing still for such a long time?
/Daniel.

As you can tell, unlike Iron Joe and you, mine is not too much about performance!

All I do is clean it, make sure it's completely dry by taking it for a blast, cover it with a breathable cover and disconnect the battery. The garage is well ventillated.

I guess the good thing about consigning the car to summer use only is that when I clean and 'restore' parts of the car they tend to stay that way.

Saab-Daniel
1st September 2010, 07:31 PM
Well, I'm not looking for a lot of performance, just better overall driveability and better pickup - but true, a little more power would be nice...
The t8 had 200hp when I was done with it, and a nice flat torque-curve, this is what I want again :-)
/Daniel.

IronJoe
2nd September 2010, 11:04 AM
LOVE the Monte Carlo Yellow. I can't wait to see more of this car, it needs a proper photoshoot!

Saab-Daniel
2nd September 2010, 12:35 PM
Hi!
Yes, it sure needs a full session!
I don't have a proper camera yet, when I get one, i will shoot some better pictures.
My package from DYIautotune came yesterday, now I just need some sleeving in order to build my wiring harness and start my MS installation - should be good fun for the holiday...
I need to replace the release-bearing also, along with a good wash and a polish...
THEN I will take pictures ;-)
Joe, did you see my questions in the "back in the fold" - thread about the GTO?
Would like your opinion... :-)
BTW: With me being in the US, we need to do a meet-and-greet at some point!!
/Daniel.

ejenner
18th September 2010, 11:21 AM
Surely pretty high up the list of desirable smooth and drivable priorities is fully sequential injection? It makes the engine quiter when you are stopped and the engine is running. It also saves a lot of fuel. You said you won't be doing fuel until later.

The car can't be a 91 model as it has the older 3-piece spoiler?

saabmatt
18th September 2010, 03:34 PM
So what's the reason for sticking with MS and not doing T5, I know you have experience with both but it must be a lot cheaper than MS, half a dozen bits from the scrap yard.

IronJoe
20th September 2010, 01:03 PM
Surely pretty high up the list of desirable smooth and drivable priorities is fully sequential injection? It makes the engine quiter when you are stopped and the engine is running. It also saves a lot of fuel. You said you won't be doing fuel until later.

The car can't be a 91 model as it has the older 3-piece spoiler?

In the US at least, the larger 5-piece spoiler was 92-94 only.

Saab-Daniel
21st September 2010, 10:48 PM
Hi guys!
Ejenner: It is indeed a '91 :-) Fuel injection is something that will come down the road, since the car wont be driven through wintertime, we'll see how much I want and do get done. I want a very clean installation of the wiring harness and want to keep it looking very original, since it's a very special car... But hey, you can always improve over standard, right? :-)
Saabmatt: I thought long and hard about T5 as well, but I had a MS-system lying around and have a complete winter to fiddle with it, so I thought I would give it a go again... Also, I don't have a real workshop where I live, wasn't sure about which way to go with the triggerwheel, which is the only real obstacle in regards to the mechanical side...
I would like to experiment with wasted spark setup or even COP at one point as well, on MS, but we'll see what time bringes...
:-)

As for update on the car, I haven't gotten any further than the wiring harness as of now, since the car should be driven a little for the rest of the summer, and because I have had visitors and 2 cars where needed. Spend last weekend in Vegas, but this weekend, I will probably continue a little...
But I do need to give my GTO a good service also this weekend, so we'll see what happens! :-)
Before the 'vert is put away for winter, I also want to give it a good service and a great polish along with a photoseries, so I have a little left to do, before I start on the MS-install again.
/Daniel.

saabmatt
21st September 2010, 10:54 PM
Wasn't sure about which way to go with the triggerwheel, which is the only real obstacle in regards to the mechanical side...

Only way to go ;) easy!

http://www.terrimoore.co.uk/matt/T5%20flywheel%201.jpg

http://www.terrimoore.co.uk/matt/T5%20flywheel%202.jpg

ejenner
22nd September 2010, 04:25 AM
That's pretty nice. What was wrong with the smaller additional disc you had made up before? Now on ianrobbos car..

saabmatt
22nd September 2010, 06:55 AM
That's pretty nice. What was wrong with the smaller additional disc you had made up before? Now on ianrobbos car..

The small disc was never put into service.

A bigger one (now with Ian) was used from the start but was fitted to a late 900 flywheel and with the GT30 the clutch wouldn’t hold above 4500rpm at WOT.

That one is a 2.3 flywheel it was also lightened and balanced with the 2.3 clutch.