SaabCentral Forums banner

Ride quality with 18s

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  ctown95 
#1 ·
I was wonder how the ride quality changes when you upgrade to a bigger rim. I just went from stock 16 to a set of 18s. I was curious to see what other people have to say about it. The ride seams alot more harsh to me.

#2 ·
rim size doesnt affect ride quality, tire height does. Thus, when you go up in rim you naturally pretty much have to go down in tire height. The effect is a more bumpy feeling ride.

IMO, 18 is a great size for most sedans. 19 might be where it starts to edge on being too uncomfortable for me. Going from such a small 16 inch wheel though it with naturally feel pretty bumpy until you adapt.

#6 ·
Vibration is a bent wheel bad balance or tire, nothing to do wtih the size.
I just had them balanced at big O and the guy said they were a bit rough but they did improve a bit after I had them balanced, is there anyway to make them true again sorta speack

Did you leave the suspension alone, or change it?
The suspension is stock, i havent touched it. and ill take some pics tomorrow and upload them. Also I was wondering what tire would be good for a 8.5x18 rim and the vibration could be a engine mount or anything in the engine could it?

#5 ·
Did you leave the suspension alone, or change it? Suspension lowing will make it ride more rough. I think it is probably just a matter of getting used to the thinner tires. Also, maybe they weren't balanced properly when installed or the quality of the tires isn't very good.

BTW, any pictures of the new rims? :cool:

#13 ·
Did you leave the suspension alone, or change it? Suspension lowing will make it ride more rough. :cool:
That depends on what you use to lower it, cheapo springs = rough ride!

#14 ·
One of the useful things I have learned in my job is a lot about wheels and tyres.

An important point to remember is that it is the air pressure with the tyre chamber that supports and carries the load - not the tyre or its sidewall.

So having huge wheels with low-profile tyres [often with a smaller air chamber] will need a greater operating pressure, it is this increase in tyre pressure that usually gives the stiffer ride. Short sidewalls with high pressure gives great control but poor comfort.

Adding to Chris 9-5's comment, he's right poor springs make things worse. As they'll force the dampers to work harder still.

The trick is to get the overall balance right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.