ITG vs. JR [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: ITG vs. JR

Jerry03Arc
11-12-03, 02:28 PM
I have read all of the air filter posts and now that people have been running both of these filters for a while which one yould you recommend. What is your long term review? Would you buy the same one again? Just like we all learned in high school... Compare and Contrast. :D :D

Thanks

Silver 9-3 Arc
11-12-03, 02:37 PM
I have read all of the air filter posts and now that people have been running both of these filters for a while which one yould you recommend. What is your long term review? Would you buy the same one again? Just like we all learned in high school... Compare and Contrast. :D :D

Thanks

I have the J&R. It is similar to a K&N filter. It has a cotton filter element, which in my opinion is easier to maintain and clean compared the ITG filter which has a foam filter element. Both will flow about the same amount of air.

Saba
11-12-03, 05:50 PM
I have the JR. My car runs like a dream with noticeable improvement shortly after fitting the filter. Whether that was due to the filter or the continuing breaking in of the car or both I don't know. I suppose I should take the JR out and replace it with the OEM for a couple of weeks to see if there is any difference. But it aint broke so I probably won't. :-?

WASAAB
12-12-03, 03:33 AM
I also uses JR filter..I'm very satisfied :P

mav238
12-12-03, 11:05 AM

Thanks

I have the J&R. It is similar to a K&N filter. It has a cotton filter element, which in my opinion is easier to maintain and clean compared the ITG filter which has a foam filter element. Both will flow about the same amount of air.

They are both very good performance filters. But unless you are very careful and experienced in cleaning and reoiling of the cloth filter, you would be better off with getting the ITG which lasts significantly longer (40% longer) without the need for solution cleaning (occasional removal and tapping out any large debris is all that is required) and messy reoiling.

Silver 9-3 Arc
16-12-03, 09:49 PM

Thanks

They are both very good performance filters. But unless you are very careful and experienced in cleaning and reoiling of the cloth filter, you would be better off with getting the ITG which lasts significantly longer (40% longer) without the need for solution cleaning (occasional removal and tapping out any large debris is all that is required) and messy reoiling.

I never had a problem cleaning and reoiling K&N filters, so I guess I have a slightly different view/experience on the matter.

sjhudon
17-12-03, 10:46 AM

Thanks

I never had a problem cleaning and reoiling K&N filters, so I guess I have a slightly different view/experience on the matter.

How long should the JR filter last before needing to be reoiled?

Saba
17-12-03, 10:56 AM
I asked this once before, but didn't get an answer. I have the JR and it was bloody difficult getting it into this country. However K&N stuff is plenty (But not for the SS). I didn't get the oil for the JR, but can get plenty of K&N. My question is, will the K&N oil do the job on the JR filter.

Oh, I believe the JR will last for 30000km (19000miles) before re-oiling is required.

Silver 9-3 Arc
17-12-03, 11:07 AM

Thanks

How long should the JR filter last before needing to be reoiled?

I am not sure. K&N recommends that their filters be cleaned reoiled every 50,000 miles. I am not sure what JR recommends.

Silver 9-3 Arc
17-12-03, 11:09 AM
I asked this once before, but didn't get an answer. I have the JR and it was bl**dy difficult getting it into this country. However K&N stuff is plenty (But not for the SS). I didn't get the oil for the JR, but can get plenty of K&N. My question is, will the K&N oil do the job on the JR filter.

Oh, I believe the JR will last for 30000km (19000miles) before re-oiling is required.

I would think that oil and cleaning products are different. To be on the safe side, I would only use the JR stuff on the JR filter and the K&N stuff on the K&N filter.

mav238
17-12-03, 11:14 AM
I asked this once before, but didn't get an answer. I have the JR and it was bl**dy difficult getting it into this country. However K&N stuff is plenty (But not for the SS). I didn't get the oil for the JR, but can get plenty of K&N. My question is, will the K&N oil do the job on the JR filter.

I would think that oil and cleaning products are different. To be on the safe side, I would only use the JR stuff on the JR filter and the K&N stuff on the K&N filter.

I guess it really depends on how much you drive. The ITG filter will go at least 80,000km (and if you don't drive in a particularly dusty region, even 100,000km) before you need to re-oil. In between that, you simply take it out at say 30,000 km and clear out any debris stuck on the intake surface, by tapping it. I drive about 24,000 km a year, and that would be about 3 and a half years before I need to re-oil. A SAAB OEM filter cost about 1/3 that of a ITG. So actually after three years, the ITG pays for itself. I would just simply buy a new filter and reload it or if I am intending to change the car, simply pay for a cheaper paper and use it till I change the car.

Saba
17-12-03, 11:33 AM
That's what I will probably do. I think Mav or mbodo suggested it before. Just get a new filter every couple of years (50,000km for me). But I only plan to have this car for 4 years, so only one change required. I bet the Saab OEM filter costs just as much as the JR does here. The Saab dealer (note singular) charges like a wounded bull.

Simon
24-12-03, 02:47 AM
ITG filters are now in stock at PFS (http://www.partsforsaabs.com/default.php?cPath=28_178_354) :D

sam_jam
03-01-04, 02:11 AM
got my ITG filter installed a couple of days back ... the car is running smoother and i guess there is a slight change in response to the better.... no sound/noise change at all ... i'll update you on the gas millage soon...

LDFolsom
08-01-04, 03:15 PM
I have run the stock filter, a cone filter, and a drop in ITG filter. By far the best set-up for me has been the stock airbox with an ITG drop in unit. I think it probably filters better than a K&N or a JR and flows just as well. With the stock engine it will make only a slight difference, but with a modded engine the difference is pretty noticeable.

sam_jam
14-01-04, 09:07 AM
ok The ITG filter i got is great i really like it ... but the teech at the saab dealer siad that since it is an oil based filter it might damage the air sensor at the duct of the air tube coming out of the air filter ... is that true? any one knows anything bout this?

MRpunchinella
02-03-04, 11:26 AM
for what its worth, Im on an itg and really like it. Do not believe that a company who produce kit for touring car race vehicles make filters that will damage any part of a 'normal' car.

I have asked my dealer and they said not to their knowledge, probably just truing to keep you buying papers at over the odds prices!!

nestoraero
02-03-04, 05:24 PM
I placed the JR filter just yesterday and I noticed the difference immediately!!!!!!
It seems to rev up faster and the sound of the turbo got louder.
Cleaning the filter is no matter for me,because I think that paying less than 60euros every year to have my mind and my engine clear,is not a big deal.

Cattivo
02-03-04, 10:58 PM
1)Has anyone changed the whole air intake (not just add a filter)?
2)Would it show great improvement in performance?
3)Who sells/make such intakes for our model?

Thanks

joshd2012
02-03-04, 11:51 PM
1)Has anyone changed the whole air intake (not just add a filter)?
2)Would it show great improvement in performance?
3)Who sells/make such intakes for our model?

Thanks

1) I do not believe anyone on this board has changed the intake.

2)You would see a significant improvement if this mod was accompanying a full exhuast mod. Otherwise, the effects would be minimal.

3)Speed Parts makes a cone intake for the SS, but everyone has pretty much labled it as garbage. It is basically a plastic ribbed tube with a cone filter on the end. Not very pretty and very cheap looking. I think everyone is waiting for a cone box, similar to what is now availible for the Viggen, to be released. I know I am.

DIM
06-03-04, 07:41 AM
I used an ITG filter on my 93 SE Convertible and after 5,000kms i had a problem. My car stalled put on safety mode. Gone to dealer abd after 10 days :( of tests they finally found that the air sensor was full of oiled dust! The result was new air flow meter and the dealed told me that it is good to use an aftermarket air filter but not an oily one.

joshd2012
06-03-04, 10:51 AM
I used an ITG filter on my 93 SE Convertible and after 5,000kms i had a problem. My car stalled put on safety mode. Gone to dealer abd after 10 days :( of tests they finally found that the air sensor was full of oiled dust! The result was new air flow meter and the dealed told me that it is good to use an aftermarket air filter but not an oily one.

Both the J&R and the ITG filters are oil based. That is how they work. They allow more air to travel through larger holes, and rely on the oil to absorb the dust and dirt as it passes through.

Did you add more oil to the filter before you installed it? These filters come packaged with enough oil on them so that they don't need any more oil until their first cleaning.

DIM
09-03-04, 02:22 AM
No I didn't add any more oil! I just replaced the old one with the new as it was boxed. The thing that caused the problem was the dusty roads I travelled that summer. What surprised me was that the dealer was unable to clean the sensors and the air flow meter and they charged me with a new one. After that I washed out all the oil from the filter I sprayed just a little bit of oil and I am checking it every 5,000kms. For that reason I am thinking of bying again an ITG but this time i am going to clean it a bit from that sticky oil. What do you think? Any alternatives?

DIM
09-03-04, 02:27 AM
No I didn't add any more oil! I just replaced the old one with the new as it was boxed. The thing that caused the problem was the dusty roads I travelled that summer. What surprised me was that the dealer was unable to clean the sensors and the air flow meter and they charged me with a new one. After that I washed out all the oil from the filter I sprayed just a little bit of oil and I am checking it every 5,000kms. For that reason I am thinking of bying again an ITG but this time i am going to clean it a bit from that sticky oil. What do you think? Any alternatives?

ChadJ99
25-03-04, 11:16 AM
If you needed a reason to "justify" getting a JR filter...this may be it!!!

Last week I ordered the the JR filter from GenuineSAAB.. and I recieved it and installed it on TUES.

SO... WED my wife and I switched cars,and she takes my AERO to work...(she is very "aware" when driving it, as she knows I'll freak if something happens to it while she has it)...so when she gets home she says,"I think something is wrong with the car, but I didn't do anything to it..." :! :-??

WHAT!!! I say. :(

"It making a weird noise, and it feels a little jerky on the throttle, it feels different than it was" she said.

SO I ask her to explain it all, and realize that:
#1 the noise she hears is just the slightly louder engine sounds that are now heard with the JR filter. You can hear the engine working more.. rushing air, turbo spooling, Etc. (I like it, she hates it)
#2 The "jerky-ness" on the throttle, must be that with the JR filter the car has better throttle response. It does feel a bit different, a bit more responsive for sure(I love this, my wife hates it. She hopes I will just leave the car alone, and put it back the way it was...oh well. wait until I get the ECU mod. :cheesy: )

So take it for what it's worth ...my wife gives the JR filter mod a thumbs down...but I give it 2 thumbs up.

I figure that maybe once the car will "learns" the filter is there it will eventually "calm down a bit"....I'll re-post a update in a week or so.

Saba
25-03-04, 07:44 PM
I took mine out while I had the car serviced. I definitely noticed the difference. Couldn't wait to put it back in. But I thought maybe its just wishful thinking on my part, but hearing your story confirms to me that it does make a difference.