1990 SPG "the black car" [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 1990 SPG "the black car"

Donkehote
7th August 2010, 11:05 AM
Well, im finally getting around to doing this.
in late december 2009, i purchased a quite rusty 1990 SPG for 1000$. It had had all the body kit removed, it needed a front seat, and it didn't boost more than 6psi. it also had a broken pan hard rod mount.

so, i fixed all that broken stuff, replaced all vac hoses, leads plugs etc, changed to 9000 aero seats, and super aero rims, 9000 calipers, koni shocks, fully modded the APC, vac capsule mod, and now, the latest addition, a 3" thick FMIC with 3" piping from the mitsu turbo to the throttle. ive also doubled the anti roll bar at the back (take a second anti roll bar, cut the bar out of it, and weld it into a second one. the car is running 3.5 degrees of negative camber, and on the track i run toyo R888's on very light ROH rims. at the same time as the intercooler, i put on a set of 30 lb/hr injectors, and a variable FPR. it means i don't run rich in traffic (its a daily driver) but i can bump up the fueling for the track.

i just put in a rebuilt tranny with a tranny cooler. its on type 7 primaries now, but for the next tranny, i will be running type 8's if i can find em.

ive been tracking the car since april. it goes like stink. i can keep up with stuff i really shouldnt.

here are some pix.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs326.ash1/28453_457714525224_615870224_6319005_606756_n.jpg
i had on some 225 wide tires at the front, with a 40 mm spacer to keep em from rubbing on the spring. i now run 205, but with the negative camber, i still have to run the spacer.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs326.ash1/28453_457714585224_615870224_6319017_5479594_n.jpg
yes, the anti roll bar makes tripod action common.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs037.snc4/34228_459019955224_615870224_6359609_801808_n.jpg
now, back on the proper size tires, but still picking up rear wheels.

the next mod im doing is putting on T5. i have the stuff from my other car, i just have to set it all up. right now im just waiting on a USB-BDM adapter wich is in the mail. then i will put on T5, and tune to my hearts content.
also, right now i have a 2.1 cylinder head off at a machine shop, getting ported, polished, having new valve seals, stiffer springs, and re seating the valves. im also going to put on a disco potato, and a 3" stainless exhaust from the turbo back. there is a shop jsut down the road from where i work that will do one for under 1000$ wich includes a magnaflow, a silencer, and a high flow cat.(i still have emissions tests to do) they do amazing work, so im going to take it there.

im not sure of hp numbers, but im getting wheelspin through 120-130 kph, in 3rd gear (right up to the top of 3rd)
based on speeds at mosport (massive uphill straight) i figure im a little over 200 hp. but that could be miles off

il put up more pix later.

Black_Turbo
27th August 2010, 06:27 PM
Awesome car! I cant wait to see more :)

Racerquinny93
27th August 2010, 07:09 PM
wow awsome thing your doing...i say for the tire coming off the ground, u can try a harder spring or stiffer setup

Donkehote
27th October 2010, 09:27 PM
Well, all good things come to an end.

A little while back i got some abbott springs, a ported and polished 2.1 head with trollspeed high rate springs, and a few other tweeks. The car went like nothing ive ever driven. I was running circles around a basically stock viggen, and keeping up with a caged and prepped E30 M3 in the wet. Then, the engine started to run a little soft, so i pulled off the track. let it cool down, and took a drive on the street. the engine was getting sicker by the minute. i changed the oil at the track, no filings or anything in the oil, so i figured that the engine oil was getting a bit hot. i parked the car for the day and let it sit.

anyway, on the 200 km drive home, the engine began to require more and more throttle to keep it running at 100 kph. then i started to hear a slight rod knock. so i parked it.

at this point, i feel that ive out done the car. its extremely fast, but not fast enough for me. im going to move on to other things. Im running Rotax Go karts next year, and im looking to buy a viggen, so im parting out the car. the engine isnt the only problem. rust has set in quite badly at the bottom of the spare wheel compartment, as well as on the fenders, and its starting to rear its head at both of the lower control arm pockets. its also got a lot of other niggles with it. Im not leaving the c900 crowd completely, im still driving my dads 1987 8 valve to work and back, so il still be around.

i took the ported 2.1 head off, and checked it over. its still dead true, and because i pulled off as soon as i heard the rod knock, no filings got into the head. its still a mint head.

so basically, ive got most of the bits for the car for anyone who wants them, at reasonable prices. just PM me

2 full sets of koni shocks (i bought 2, one for me and one for a friend, he changed his mind and backed out, leaving me with 2 sets. both got used tho, and another guy i know used the 2nd set on a 2.1 for a while until the pinion bearing went and we parted that car out. both sets have less than 5000 km on them.

Abbott springs. barely used, 2 weeks in the car total. less than 500 km, and 25 track km

I have some BRAND new headlights. theyre mint! ive got an HID kit in em, and they look awesome. al the adjusters are free, and the lenses have no marks at all.

Im also selling the ROH wheels. theyre EXTREMELY light, they look good, and they work brilliantly. they could use a refinish, but theyre dead true, balanced, and very nice.

ive got all the other bits for sale aswell, Black 9000 Aero seats (passenger seat converted to memory) 9000 Super Aero rims, 9000 calipers, EBC 9000 rotors, factory 9000 rotors, Double rear anti roll bar, tweaked APC box, MOMO 4 spoke saab wheel, the FMIC, the intake piping, SS brake lines, balljoints with grease nipples, the SPG kit, and any other bits off of a 1990 SPG that you could want

il have pics of most of the bits up soon

zachc
28th October 2010, 08:55 AM
pics of the wheels n you gonna sell the spacers?

li Arc
28th October 2010, 01:47 PM
That's unfortunate, but I guess if a purpose-built car just isn't serving that purpose anymore, then it's time to move on. This is reminiscent of Vince's sale of his car parts before he found a buyer for the whole car. While it's unfortunate I never got a hold of his Eriksson 4-speed chillcast and custom head, I think in the end I'm happier that his car is still whole even if I had nothing to gain from it. Besides, I've got a decent chillcast 5-speed I'm building up now.

I'm kind of interested in the head, but I just did mine and spent like $1000 on it. Did you ever get the disco potato in? How did that feel like? That's probably in my future sometime, and I've prepped lines for it. What type of rebuild did the tranny undergo? Do you eventually know what happened to the engine?

9000 Aero seats would be fantastic, but shipping would probably be insane. Did you need to modify them or did you make up some brackets for them? I don't think I've ever seen a 9000 Aero at the yard...usually some other stuff, like 9000CD's, 9000 turbos, etc.

I feel a bit like a hyena snatching bits of meat from a fresh corpse...;oops:

li Arc

Donkehote
28th October 2010, 08:12 PM
pics of the wheels n you gonna sell the spacers?

Here are some crummy pics i took a little while ago.
il have some better pics this weekend, as its rainy and dark out now, and i wont be able to take any tomorrow.

The wheels are 15"X7" with i think a 5" offset, but i could be wrong. il measure this weekend. theyre meant for a 9000.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2633/5/40/615870224/n615870224_2705461_5542109.jpghttp://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2633/5/40/615870224/n615870224_2705460_4972043.jpg

Im selling the Spacers as well. theyre H&R spacers. i have 2 5mm spacers with the longer bolts, and 2 25 mm spacers that bolt to the hub, then the wheels bolt to the spacers.

That's unfortunate, but I guess if a purpose-built car just isn't serving that purpose anymore, then it's time to move on. This is reminiscent of Vince's sale of his car parts before he found a buyer for the whole car. While it's unfortunate I never got a hold of his Eriksson 4-speed chillcast and custom head, I think in the end I'm happier that his car is still whole even if I had nothing to gain from it. Besides, I've got a decent chillcast 5-speed I'm building up now.

I'm kind of interested in the head, but I just did mine and spent like $1000 on it. Did you ever get the disco potato in? How did that feel like? That's probably in my future sometime, and I've prepped lines for it. What type of rebuild did the tranny undergo? Do you eventually know what happened to the engine?

9000 Aero seats would be fantastic, but shipping would probably be insane. Did you need to modify them or did you make up some brackets for them? I don't think I've ever seen a 9000 Aero at the yard...usually some other stuff, like 9000CD's, 9000 turbos, etc.

I feel a bit like a hyena snatching bits of meat from a fresh corpse...;oops:

li Arc

I welded in brackets for the seats, but the seats will bolt into a 1991+ car with no mods.
I diddnt get a disco potato. i ended up getting the head done instead.

The tranny underwent a full rebuild, with a 1993 case, all new synchros, and all new bearings. it shifts so smoothly, but im not selling the tranny. sorry, but there are 3 other c900's in my family, and i have a friend who also tracks his, so the tranny is staying with me.

The car had 22 days on the track this year. it had 260'000 km on it when i got it, and 272'000 when i went. The #4 bearing is the one thats knocking, and its just worn out. the # 3 is very close (through the babbat in one tiny spot) and #2 and #1 are very worn aswell. The engine just wore out. nothing catastrophic happened, it just, well, broke :roll:

Dont feel bad for the car. when i got it, i saved it from the scrap crusher, and i gave it the legs to outrun a Lexus ISF and a 2010 BMW M3 on the track, so i believe that it served its purpose quite well, and it has died in peace.

ziedoniz
31st October 2010, 01:08 PM
Hi!

Can You make a picture of that double rear anti roll bar? Have been thinking for a while about making something like that by myself.

li Arc
1st November 2010, 12:46 AM
The tranny underwent a full rebuild, with a 1993 case, all new synchros, and all new bearings. it shifts so smoothly, but im not selling the tranny. sorry, but there are 3 other c900's in my family, and i have a friend who also tracks his, so the tranny is staying with me.

I was actually just curious, as I just built up a 5-speed chillcast with fantastic internals, all-new bearings, and a chillcast pinion bearing housing, which I'm not letting go to waste! I assume the head and seats will also go to one of your other c900's? The Aero seats always look great, but how do they feel?

li Arc

Donkehote
1st November 2010, 07:10 PM
the other c900's are going to remain stock. the seats are wonderful, comfortable, and i will be selling them, along with the head