oddball thread- who uses tobacco products? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: oddball thread- who uses tobacco products?

stpoolshark
27th July 2010, 11:49 PM
I was just curious what kind of responses I would get

A lot of people smoke, I've never been interested in smoking, but there are alternate means of getting nicotine into the system.

I've dipped for a while, but I've recently taken a hiatus due to a bad experience not too long ago. I have to admit, that I have put in a new found flavor. Kayak Grape. It was 99 cents a can and couldn't pass it up. Before that I had done everything... Skoal, Cope, Red Man, Timberwolf, Grizzly... My favorite was Grizzly Mint long cut until I found Kayak Grape long cut

I will occasionally smoke a pipe. It's a Savinelli University pipe and my tobaccos are Smoky Mountain Vanilla and Hazelnut obtained from Shamrock's in Johnson City, TN. The vanilla is so smooth and relaxing. Good stuff.

I've also recently gotten into dry nasal snuff. I bought two little containers of it. One of them is Bruton's Scotch Snuff and The other is W.E. Garrett 'sweet' snuff. This nasal snuff is one of the oldest forms of tobacco use. It's a fine powder that you simply sniff. It stays in your nostrils and you get the relaxtion of the nicotine. It's not bad. Convenient more than anything

I like chewing tobacco too. Red Man Gold Blend is the only one I've found that I like. It's sweet and syrup-y. Good stuff too.

That's about it

your preferences?

Cm452
28th July 2010, 12:22 AM
Sorry to let you down, but I quit. I use the gum, generic 4mg gum, and it works great. I did however go from cigarettes to snus to nada. Once in a blue moon I break down and have a cig;oops: Tobacco is really nasty stuff. Not that anybody cares-sure doesnt matter coming from someone else when you smoke, sniff, or chew.
-Cm

stpoolshark
28th July 2010, 12:39 AM
I totally agree with you.

Tobacco is pretty nasty and I wish I didn't use it, but having friends that do and that nag you to do it is pretty harsh.

I'm glad you were able to stop and I can understand the urge for that one cig.

No worries!

saabhutter
28th July 2010, 12:44 AM
Is chewing for you young guys in Tennessee a big sports related thing or just in general? Over here its a big thing with hockey. I did a bit, preferred skoal vanilla or citrus. Tins are like $8 bucks and they're tiny. Always loved playing in Montana to pick up inexpensive chew.

stpoolshark
28th July 2010, 01:07 AM
eh...kinda. People here are huge fanatics about the Vols and chewing/dipping is pretty common. I can pick up a can of grizzly mint for $2.89. Skoal is nearly $4 and a whole bag of red man is like $6 :o

saabhutter
28th July 2010, 01:09 AM
Wow that's ridiculous! Red Man in Alberta is close to $15 per pouch.

stpoolshark
28th July 2010, 01:12 AM
oh my god.

That's absolutely insane.

saabhutter
28th July 2010, 01:16 AM
Agreed. In Montana I used to pick up one in a pouch that was really cheap. Had a duck hunter with his dog on the pouch. Do you know what that brand is called? Sportsman or something like that I think.

stpoolshark
28th July 2010, 01:21 AM
hmm.. the only brands I see at the gas station I pick it up at are Red Man, Beechnut, and Levi Garrett

I'll look for it though. Is it any good?

Aleki
28th July 2010, 01:22 AM
I'm only a social smoker. Doesnt take much will power to turn down a cigar, but i dont mind them when with friends.

saabhutter
28th July 2010, 01:24 AM
I loved it. Ahh I found it. Its called Trophy.

stpoolshark
28th July 2010, 01:25 AM
awesome. i hope i can find it somewhere around here.

saabhutter
28th July 2010, 01:27 AM
I don't chew so much anymore. Kinda got turned off when my buddies started gutting it (swallowing the chewspit) I'm more into buying a bottle of Goose now and having a good time. You guys are lucky with your cheap beer. Around $40 for a 24 where I live.

stpoolshark
28th July 2010, 01:36 AM
ahh, god...that's horrible. ha

And geez. $40 got me and my friends a bottle of bailey's, a bottle of vodka, a bottle of rum, a six pack and some mixing drinks

saabhutter
28th July 2010, 01:38 AM
Wow man I gotta find my way over there. 40 bucks gets me 4/5 bottle of Grey Goose. But then again our legal age is 18 so that's nice.

Cuba
28th July 2010, 01:40 AM
Mid 90's c900 pulled up behind me at the lights this morning. I looked in the rear view as the guy got closer. Then I see him, he is around 50yrs, bearded and smoking a big ol' pipe. :lol: ...nearly brought a tear to my eye. :)

stpoolshark
28th July 2010, 01:42 AM
You definately need too. ha.

^^I would have gotten out and shaken his hand. ha. Classic.

Aerogirl
28th July 2010, 01:44 AM
I say no to smoking or any kind of tobacco products. You don't really want me to get into the whole health reasons why, do you? :)

saabhutter
28th July 2010, 02:26 AM
I'm still waiting to meet the quintessential Saab driver! Like stpoolshark said I'd shake that beauties hand. My dad told me he used to always see people like that driving Saabs and Volvos in the 60's and 70's. Pipe smokers with tweed jackets he'd say.

snabb saab
28th July 2010, 03:38 AM
My SAAB has a hint of smoke smell in it on hotter days. Damn first owner...

Where's winter when you need it?

Shazam
28th July 2010, 08:43 AM
Occasionally I'll have a cigar (once a month maybe), and even less occasionally I'll have a pipe filled with hazelnut tobacco (twice a year). Throw in some mu'assel too (a handful of times a year).

stpoolshark
28th July 2010, 01:08 PM
i do like cigars too, but only certain kinds.

I've never Mu'assel or Hookah tobacco, but I really want to. I've heard that it's pretty good.

Shazam
28th July 2010, 02:52 PM
I've never Mu'assel or Hookah tobacco, but I really want to. I've heard that it's pretty good.
I like the taste (I like the ones done with honey more than molasses). Most of my friends claim a "major buzz" but I can use it all night, and I feel nothing. I mostly do it because we all sit around it and have fun, while they "get buzzed."

stpoolshark
28th July 2010, 03:17 PM
haha. sounds like my circle of friends.

awjones
28th July 2010, 03:49 PM
i smoked Camels for near 10 years. finally i just got sick of smoking, and quit. its been three years since ive had a smoke!

Cm452
29th July 2010, 12:22 AM
I like the taste (I like the ones done with honey more than molasses). Most of my friends claim a "major buzz" but I can use it all night, and I feel nothing. I mostly do it because we all sit around it and have fun, while they "get buzzed."
I thought about mentioning it, but everybody always concludes that Its related to some illicit drug so I stayed quiet. I own one and take it out like three times a year when my good friends assemble from across the country in one place-it's very nice, but I've never had the "buzz" people rave about.

I would ask, and I hope the OP doesnt mind, that this thread not turn into some sorta health lecture. Some have quit, some are trying, some dont care. We ALL know its bad-spare us the rhetoric.
Thanks,
-Cm

stpoolshark
29th July 2010, 12:34 AM
^^Nope, don't mind at all.

Saab named Jag
29th July 2010, 12:36 AM
I'll have the occasional cigar (not very often) And I do own a hooka that I enjoy with some close friends. I agree though I've never gotten a "buzz" from hooka, I get a little jittery but only if we smoke for hours on end.

stpoolshark
29th July 2010, 12:58 AM
i don't really get a buzz when I chew or dip or anymore. I just feel...relaxed.

Cuba
29th July 2010, 04:18 AM
I smoke roll your own smokes. Have done for quite some time. Must give it away.

I bought some really nice locally grown organic stuff in Hawaii that was quite good. Actually, I don't think it was locally grown. It had an Indian bloke on the front. Kind of aqua green packet. Nice baccy.

Must give it away.:confused:

Oh 3 Nine 3
29th July 2010, 10:51 AM
Just the occasional nice cigar (maybe 2-3 times per year) when I get together with some high school/college friends.

ursatz
29th July 2010, 11:24 AM
I am still trying to figure out the best way to smoke my pipe in the convertible with the top down. Someone said there are wind screens that mount to the bowl opening, but I've never seen them.

I enjoy 1M, and occasionally a walnut/maple aromatic tobacco in my pipes.

Shazam
29th July 2010, 11:51 AM
I am still trying to figure out the best way to smoke my pipe in the convertible with the top down. Someone said there are wind screens that mount to the bowl opening, but I've never seen them.

I enjoy 1M, and occasionally a walnut/maple aromatic tobacco in my pipes.

Why not a deep pipe? One of those ones you can put into your coat pocket while it's burning?

KaMiKaZi_t0M
29th July 2010, 12:30 PM
I've been dipping for a good while now. I grew up in a little hick town in Connecticut and we are all country boys at heart. I also played varsity baseball at a young age and all the older kids pushed it on me. I love a good dip. I change my flavor on the season. In the fall I ALWAYS dip apple Skoal. It's the best. Spring I tend to dip Citrus, and when I get bored I always go back to Mint. Currently I'm packing Longhorn Longcut Mint. $1.24 a tin and not to bad. Brings me back to the varsity baseball days when I was too poor to buy anything else. I try to cut down though I kind of like not having cancer! I too don't get a buzz anymore, I barely get relaxed I just like the taste. If you ever want a good alternative get soem of this stuff Link (http://smokeysnuff.com). When I'm being a good boy I throw in a ding of this stuff, artic mint, and it suffices. I also chew when I fish sometimes, gets boring for me though. I ALWAYS dip when I'm drunk or drinking, something about packin a lip inbetween beerpong games bring you back! Man I need a lip now ha!
My buddies always laugh, I drive saabs and I blast country music and pack lips; quite a contradictory if I must say so myself.

rabbit
29th July 2010, 01:33 PM
7 months since I had a ciggy!

Been smoking 1.5 packs a day for the past 15 years. It feels soooooo gooood to not smoke. I still want one.... bad.... almost daily, but must resist. Cigs are nearing $8/pack around here, I don't feel like paying someone to kill me anymore. Plus they just banned smoking in public places (bars) last month.

I used chantix to quit, sure my dreams reminded me of my days traveling with phish.... somewhat cool I guess. And it would make me want to puke every morning (nasuea from the chantix).... still totally worth it.

stpoolshark
29th July 2010, 03:27 PM
I've been dipping for a good while now. I grew up in a little hick town in Connecticut and we are all country boys at heart. I also played varsity baseball at a young age and all the older kids pushed it on me. I love a good dip. I change my flavor on the season. In the fall I ALWAYS dip apple Skoal. It's the best. Spring I tend to dip Citrus, and when I get bored I always go back to Mint. Currently I'm packing Longhorn Longcut Mint. $1.24 a tin and not to bad. Brings me back to the varsity baseball days when I was too poor to buy anything else. I try to cut down though I kind of like not having cancer! I too don't get a buzz anymore, I barely get relaxed I just like the taste. If you ever want a good alternative get soem of this stuff Link (http://smokeysnuff.com). When I'm being a good boy I throw in a ding of this stuff, artic mint, and it suffices. I also chew when I fish sometimes, gets boring for me though. I ALWAYS dip when I'm drunk or drinking, something about packin a lip inbetween beerpong games bring you back! Man I need a lip now ha!
My buddies always laugh, I drive saabs and I blast country music and pack lips; quite a contradictory if I must say so myself.

YES! you may be my new favorite person. ha.

I dip, chew, snuss, snuff...all in my saab with nothin' but country music blasting. :lol:

KaMiKaZi_t0M
29th July 2010, 03:46 PM
Haha, right on brother! I always throw in a lapper when I'm workin on the car and its getting on my nevers, calms me down a bit. And sorry bout all the funky lingo for dipping, I'm a college kid and we all like to come up with names for dipping. Here are a few of them:
Missle
Bomb
Chomp
Ding
Lipper
Lapper
Thats a few of them ha!

Cuba
29th July 2010, 03:48 PM
Plus they just banned smoking in public places (bars) last month.

That's just about enough to quit right there. I was on one of what must have been the last flights with smoking. From Kuala Lumpur to Brisbane, sat with a Canadian guy down the back, finished a bottle of cognac and a packet of Gauloises I bought erroneously after I was let out of jail at Gare du Nord. Border police who arrested me were smoking them so I thought they might be good, boy was I wrong. However, no money so.....

awjones
29th July 2010, 03:48 PM
7 months since I had a ciggy!

congrats! it gets alot easier with time.

stpoolshark
29th July 2010, 03:58 PM
Haha, right on brother! I always throw in a lapper when I'm workin on the car and its getting on my nevers, calms me down a bit. And sorry bout all the funky lingo for dipping, I'm a college kid and we all like to come up with names for dipping. Here are a few of them:
Missle
Bomb
Chomp
Ding
Lipper
Lapper
Thats a few of them ha!

Very Nice.

Me and my friends have:
Docking ships
A DEEIP (a very exaggerated country accent)
a P. (for pinch)
a D. (for dip)
Hog
Log
there's more...just need to hang out with them to remember them all. haha

Check out this band, Skoal Banditz. They rap about dipping!

songs include;
Lippa Winta
Pack That
Throw a D (In Ya Lip)
Pinch It
Skoal Provider

haha

zachc
29th July 2010, 04:46 PM
ciggys. 54's usually.

n cigars on certain occasions.

stamonkey
29th July 2010, 06:18 PM
That's just about enough to quit right there. I was on one of what must have been the last flights with smoking. From Kuala Lumpur to Brisbane, sat with a Canadian guy down the back, finished a bottle of cognac and a packet of Gauloises I bought erroneously after I was let out of jail at Gare du Nord. Border police who arrested me were smoking them so I thought they might be good, boy was I wrong. However, no money so.....

Sounds like there's a story that needs to be told........

I can't say that I have ever been much into tobacco, on occasion I would smoke Marlboro menthals in college, but it was too pricey to keep up.

I grew up in a very small hick farming community, so chewing tobacco was rampant in high school. I tried it a few times, but after I saw somebody mistakenly take a drink from their spit cup, I was done. I also found that it was impossible to find a quality girl that wasn't completely disgusted by chewing tobacco.

900t
29th July 2010, 09:35 PM
I like cigars but cigarettes are just too damn unsatisfying!

Warren Demontague
30th July 2010, 12:09 PM

Jailed at Gare du Nord? Are you a pickpocketing gypsy?

Crothers
30th July 2010, 01:58 PM
Cigs! Ive smoked Camels for a little over two years now. i think about quitting every now and then but i just don't care to so i haven't tried yet. i just enjoy smoking, when im relaxing, or working on the Saab, or hanging out with friends, and of course driving, i just love em'. The day will come sooner or later though that i give it up, im 20 years old and really don't want to have to pay for the consequences further down the road.
But after reading this i think its time to go for a little ride in the Saab and smoke a butt!

stpoolshark
30th July 2010, 02:18 PM
^^right on, man! haha :cheesy:

mrbrett
30th July 2010, 02:19 PM
Pall Mall blue pack cigs, "only" about a pack per week, and the occasional clove cigarette. (Djarum).

Cuba
30th July 2010, 08:53 PM
Jailed at Gare du Nord? Are you a pickpocketing gypsy?

Nah...Long story short. I was refused leave to enter the UK and was deported to my last port of call from Waterloo. LPOC being Paris. I threw out my spent train ticket after being searched at Waterloo. Couldn't prove to the French border police on the train that I had come from Switzerland, or even that I hadn't traveled without a ticket. They cuffed me in a "cell" on the train and smoked Gauloises and read Oui, claiming that I didn't come from Switzerland and that I had in fact come from Brussels and that this wasn't my passport.
In a cell at Gare du Nord from about 11:30am 'til around dusk. All day they asked questions I had no answer for. Constantly claiming my passport wasn't mine and that I had come from Brussels. During a shift change I could see an identicate picture on the wall, through a door left ajar. Looked like spookily like me.
Finally, they kicked me out at dusk. I went and bought 3 packets of Gauloises (actually, I think they were Gitanes), booked into a backpackers, stashed my crap. Then went out and got drunk.
Stayed in Paris for a few weeks in the end. Funny how things work out.

http://achatcigarettes.com/images/items/achat-3-cartons-gitanes-brunes-non-filter-2686.jpg

Spidey
1st August 2010, 08:08 PM
Smoke ciggies...for twenty odd years now. We are pregnant so being the stunningly supportive husband I am, thought I would quit. I couldn't do the mornings without my coffee and a cig plus I got a second job which entails sitting at the end of the runway making sure no dumptrucks go into the critical zone. Beyond boring. I started again...not many but a few a day. And of course got busted a couple of days ago. So...stopping again tomorrow.
I know I still have some smoking in me yet but for now it's time to let it go.

PeriSoft
2nd August 2010, 10:33 AM
As my grandfather said in the '60s when approached at a cafe by a cigarette salesman offering samples, "No thanks - I already have cancer."

TheRedBaron
3rd August 2010, 12:41 AM
I smoke pipes and cigars, the latter being more of an occasional thing these days. I have about 20 pounds of pipe tobacco aging, and maybe 200 cigars in two humidors. I don't smoke cigarettes anymore, as of a few years ago.

FYI, pipe smokers live longer than non-smokers, and that's a fact. :p

stpoolshark
3rd August 2010, 12:58 AM
20 pounds :o.
That sounds so good. Ha.

TheRedBaron
3rd August 2010, 12:59 AM
Haha yeah. Taxes are only going to get higher, and more and more blenders are going to go the way of the dodo, so I might as well get what I can while I can get it. Not to mention the types of tobacco I smoke benefit from aging, so it's only uphill from here. ;)

I am still trying to figure out the best way to smoke my pipe in the convertible with the top down. Someone said there are wind screens that mount to the bowl opening, but I've never seen them.Any reputable tobacconist should have one. If you can't find one locally this is a site I've used many times: http://www.marscigars.com/pipelid.aspx. They also have great prices on bulk tobacco to make the shipping worthwhile. Or try calling them and see if they'll just drop one in an envelope to save on shipping.

THEOLDMAN
3rd August 2010, 07:17 AM
I quit smoking when the price of cigarettes made the outrageous jump from 35 cents a pack to 50 cents a pack...

saab19
3rd August 2010, 12:02 PM
Mid 90's c900 pulled up behind me at the lights this morning. I looked in the rear view as the guy got closer. Then I see him, he is around 50yrs, bearded and smoking a big ol' pipe. :lol: ...nearly brought a tear to my eye. :)

there was a guy around new haven, ct who used to streetrace with the local teenagers---mid fifties, aviators, full beard, leather gloves, and a pipe. he had a monster of a biturbo S4.

personally, I gut "game" or "dutch" cigars for other purposes, dipped last summer but found it wasn't for me

saab19
3rd August 2010, 12:05 PM
I smoke pipes and cigars, the latter being more of an occasional thing these days. I have about 20 pounds of pipe tobacco aging, and maybe 200 cigars in two humidors. I don't smoke cigarettes anymore, as of a few years ago.

FYI, pipe smokers live longer than non-smokers, and that's a fact. :p

a real fact? (with the whole typing thing I can't tell if you're joking or not)

my dad smoked a pipe since he was 12, when he was about 50 he went in to get health insurance for his law firm and one of the places refused to give him a policy since a test showed he'd been smoking two packs of cigs a day for twenty-odd years---only catch is he's never smoked a cigarette, only the pipe. doc told him he wouldn't see my sister and I graduate from high school (she was four, I was six at the time).

Cuba
3rd August 2010, 04:43 PM
"For Sweden #7 and Australia #9 they cite low smoking rates to explain longevity. Interestingly, they don't mention smoking for the higher longevity countries, e.g. #1 Andorra (44 % of men smoke (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.who.int%2Ftobacco%2Fmedia%2Fe n%2FAndorra.pdf&ei=WqQkSva0BJLMMNampI4F&usg=AFQjCNEsxxmtczJh7XBvJyCsoe4LhbF50Q&sig2=i1ZNG8fv66si-E__u8Y4eQ), 40% of youth 18-24), or #6 Japan (59% of men smoke (http://www.kidon.com/smoke/percentages.htm)). At individual level, the oldest man and the oldest woman on record were smokers. (http://www.mindandmuscle.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=35287&view=findpost&p=508617) "

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3151/2576336419_01f699065d_o.jpg

Madamme Jeanne Calment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Calment) lived 122 years 164 days (she smoked since her teens).

The oldest human who completed a full marathon (at age 101) (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2262644/posts) smoked since his teens and had few cigarettes through the race as well.

http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2008/04/56a_10_Buster-Mar_415x275.jpg http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/ffximage/2008/03/06/250marathon,0.jpg

"These are not one-off kind of oddities, since in animal experiments, smoking animals (even at 5 pack/day equivalent exposure) live longer (by ~20%) than non-smoking animals. They also remain thinner, healthier and sharper throughout. Tobacco is an ancient medicinal plant and like all medicinal substances, its use will statistically correlate with various health problems (e.g. people who use statins or blood pressure medications will have more heart attacks later than people who don't use them)."

Source: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2262644/posts :o

saabhutter
3rd August 2010, 04:47 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you Cuba but that source looks a little bit... bushleague.

Cuba
3rd August 2010, 04:56 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you Cuba but that source looks a little bit... bushleague.

Yeah, and the the marathon guy looks like Fidel Castro (same trackie and all) in some communist conspiracy to make Americans think it's ok to smoke. Thereby killing off the population and smashing the economy by way of the health system.

Masterful :lol:

saabhutter
3rd August 2010, 04:59 PM
haha agreed with the Fidel Castro comparison. And the only thing that makes that man look 101 is the duster on his face. Doesn't look to be older than 80 max.

saab19
3rd August 2010, 06:25 PM
interesting stuff though.

TheRedBaron
4th August 2010, 12:02 AM
I'm not disagreeing with you Cuba but that source looks a little bit... bushleague.It's easy to discount stats that are skewed one way when all you're used to hearing are stats skewed the other way. The fact of the matter is, while tobacco certainly isn't the best thing out there for you, it's really not nearly as bad as the anti-smokers make it out to be.

stpoolshark
4th August 2010, 12:14 AM
hey guys,

i bought a bag of Beech Nut chew, and i like it better than Redman gold blend
:lol:

PeriSoft
4th August 2010, 12:21 AM
It's easy to discount stats that are skewed one way when all you're used to hearing are stats skewed the other way. The fact of the matter is, while tobacco certainly isn't the best thing out there for you, it's really not nearly as bad as the anti-smokers make it out to be.

Either way, it's freaking obnoxious.

People tend to get outraged at efforts to restrict smoking in public places. My first instinct is to sympathize - it's a personal choice, right?

But on the other hand, there are a lot of other personal choices that aren't allowed due to their effect on others. You can't go around holding a bag of ringing alarm clocks or with a battery powered aircraft landing light blinding everyone around you. Those things aren't illegal in and of themselves, but they make life unbearable for those around you and are as such not allowed - or at least frowned upon.

For me, nearby smokers are at least as obnoxious as the examples above, perhaps moreso. It's not so much about being a nanny and preventing others from making a personal choice as it is about, basically, not disturbing the peace, which is illegal whether you do it by starting fights, blasting music, or setting something malodorous on fire and holding it in your mouth as you walk.

Cm452
4th August 2010, 01:10 AM
The problem with that is that majority rules (at least thats the idea, politicians do a **** load of pandering) and because it bothers you and all your friends does not give you the right to trump my personal tastes with yours, because the law is supposed represent the will of the masses. I find people tuned out to the world with their Ipods obnoxious. I find people who merge on highways like they're pulling into their driving personally offensive, yet, despite the fact that it bothers me I recognize it as a pet peeve. Perhaps it is rude in my eyes-society has deemed it acceptable for people to mosey onto highways, so I must content myself with banging the steering wheel, yelling inside my car, and perhaps flashing my lights. The same applies here. I respect you hate and are repulsed by cigarette smell, understandably to a certain extent, but in an open environment, it is a mere inconvenience rather than a matter of personal safety ooorr peace.
-Cm

TheRedBaron
4th August 2010, 10:43 AM
but in an open environment, it is a mere inconvenience rather than a matter of personal safety or peace.Exactly.

And it's gotten so extreme. In both NY and I believe WA they tried to pass laws that made it illegal to smoke in a public park. As in outdoors. Absurd. I don't think it passed in NY, but it did in WA, and everyone got so pissed that they changed it so that you can't smoke within 25 feet of someone within a week.

saab19
4th August 2010, 12:20 PM
Either way, it's freaking obnoxious.

People tend to get outraged at efforts to restrict smoking in public places. My first instinct is to sympathize - it's a personal choice, right?

But on the other hand, there are a lot of other personal choices that aren't allowed due to their effect on others. You can't go around holding a bag of ringing alarm clocks or with a battery powered aircraft landing light blinding everyone around you. Those things aren't illegal in and of themselves, but they make life unbearable for those around you and are as such not allowed - or at least frowned upon.

For me, nearby smokers are at least as obnoxious as the examples above, perhaps moreso. It's not so much about being a nanny and preventing others from making a personal choice as it is about, basically, not disturbing the peace, which is illegal whether you do it by starting fights, blasting music, or setting something malodorous on fire and holding it in your mouth as you walk.

I was standing in line at niagara falls (went there this past week with the gf, absolutely wonderful time, will post pics hopefully soon) and to get into the "journey behind the falls" you basically follow a sort of concrete path that is extremely close quarters and someone immune to wind/airflow bc of various structures. first thing the father and fifteen year old son in front of us do is to pull out cigs and light up. then instead of blowing the smoke up or away from the other people in the crowd (none of whom were smoking) they blow it right at us/everyone.

I'm sorry, but I've dealt with a good amount of smoke but I still cannot, for the life of me, stand cigarette smoke.

(and seriously, this kid was bumming smokes off his mom---who wasn't smoking. just seemed pretty pathetic).

Cuba
4th August 2010, 04:04 PM
I'm a smoker, yet I don't really like the other peoples smoke either. However, some people are obnoxious anyway, regardless of whether they smoke or not. I agree with what Frank says.

Part of an interview with Frank Zappa by John Winokur.

"JON WINOKUR - When you are out and around, do you encounter much anti-smoking sentiment?

FRANK ZAPPA - [Lighting a cigarette] Well, I'm not here to impinge on anybody else's lifestyle. If I'm in a place where I know I'm going to harm somebody's health or somebody asks me to please not smoke, I just go outside and smoke. But I do resent the way the nonsmoking mentality has been imposed on the smoking minority. Because, first of all, in a democracy, minorities do have rights. And, second, the whole pitch about smoking has gone from being a health issue to a moral issue, and when they reduce something to a moral issue, it has no place in any kind of legislation, as far as I'm concerned.

JON WINOKUR - But if you look at the studies, side-stream smoke is harmful.

FRANK ZAPPA - I'm not buying the data. First of all, it comes to you from the United States government. If you thought by stamping out all tobacco smoke in the United States you were going to improve the quality of life for everybody in the country, you'd be a lunatic. The things that will really harm you, the government won't
touch.

JON WINOKUR - For example?

FRANK ZAPPA - Dioxin in toilet paper, dioxin in tampons, dioxin in water filters, dioxin in coffee filters, dioxin in tea bags, dioxin in your vegetables because of the runoff from paper plants. Why do they have to bleach paper to make it white, anyway? It seems paltry, punitive, and insignificant to go after smokers, who are not an insignificant minority but about forty-five percent of the population. The way I would deal with the problem is induce *more* people to smoke, make them the majority and then... kick ***!

JON WINOKUR - Have you ever tried quitting?

FRANK ZAPPA - A couple of times. The one time I really tried the hardest was when I had a chest cold and I was in the middle of a tour. We were in Canada and I had to travel every day and sing every night in these cold, hockey rink-type places. I really didn't feel very well and every time I would smoke with this cold it just made it worse. So I decided to try to quit for a while, and I managed not to smoke for about a week or ten days. Then my sense of smell started coming back and the hotel we were staying at, which *looked* okay, actually smelled very, very bad. Something in the hall- the rugs maybe. In fact, the whole world didn't smell very, good, and within a week my cold went away and I was smoking again."

saab19
4th August 2010, 05:53 PM
^^^he seems to forget that the gov't makes a ton of money off tobacco--that's the real reason they won't touch it. (notice how it's illegal to buy tobacco products under 18--but NOT illegal to possess....)

the second hand smoke effects have been confirmed by multiple independent labs/sources, apart from the gov't (which occasionally gets things right).

Cm452
4th August 2010, 11:28 PM
Obviously, do something with courtesy. Doesn't matter what. If you are bothered or bothering somebody, there is beyond a shadow of a doubt the right to ask or be asked to change your behavior. The guy at Niagra falls should have been asked to redirect his smoke, possibly wait for more air, but it is not fair to outlaw it. Maine, ironically enough, has made it illegal to smoke in all parks and public places.
-Cm

Cuba
5th August 2010, 04:09 AM
Maine, ironically enough, has made it illegal to smoke in all parks and public places.
-Cm

Squirrels will have a greater life expectancy now I guess. :)

Do people burn fires in their homes in Maine?

If people want to smoke, they simply have to be respectful of others. Buses and trucks aren't, who likes a face full of diesel exhaust?