New pics on the 9-2 [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: New pics on the 9-2

cswerin
8th December 2003, 07:37 AM
Here you go

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/special/bildspel/visa/bil/0,4542,933,00.html

SentraSR20
8th December 2003, 09:13 AM
Wow, looks just like a WRX inside:wink: Quelle surprise! 8)

RED
8th December 2003, 12:23 PM
Though I'll wait to see it in person, the trend is not very promising.

IMHO, a refined, more polished WRX would be a good thing, and good for SAAB as well. A half-hearted effort will not. Period.

sethsev7n
8th December 2003, 12:35 PM
bah.

My disappointment has now sunk to an all time low.

I was having hopes of it having a nice interior.. maybe then i would like it.. but no, its the worst thing of all... looks cheap, annoying, and plastic. Im really worried what this car is going to do for saabs image, since its not really a saab at all.

garry
8th December 2003, 02:02 PM
I really like that steering wheel....

Other than that the interior looks far too retro to me.
Not retro in a 'modern take on a 1970's dashboard' ......It looks more like 'a 1970's dashboard' !

I can't be more jolly about it than that.

I have thought for some time now , that the Subauru, fantastic though it is! was due a major restyle. , something more than a facelift.
After seeing more of the 9-2 I am more interested to see a new offering from Subauru (2004 WRX ?) than travel to the nearest SAAB dealership today.
Remember the Triumph/Honda thread ? :(

Thad
8th December 2003, 02:12 PM
more pics here http://www.automotorundsport.de/d/49806

greenphotos
8th December 2003, 03:30 PM
WhoTF designed that steering wheel!

IMHO it looks very dated.

Mark
:cheesy:

garry
8th December 2003, 04:25 PM
WhoTF designed that steering wheel!

IMHO it looks very dated.

Mark
:cheesy: :lol: :P

Lets not :D

AWD4LIFE
8th December 2003, 04:33 PM
I like it. I would have liked a bit more interior changes, but oh well. NO TACH IN THE CENTER.:nono;

http://194.18.30.108/smo/smopics/0/03407C.JPG
http://194.18.30.108/smo/smopics/0/03408C.JPG

AWD4LIFE
8th December 2003, 04:35 PM
Dimensions...
http://194.18.30.108/smo/smopics/0/03439C.JPG

I like these...
http://194.18.30.108/smo/smopics/0/03416C.JPG
http://194.18.30.108/smo/smopics/0/03430C.JPG

Change the numbers before the C...
http://194.18.30.108/smo/smopics/0/03412C.JPG

sethsev7n
8th December 2003, 04:52 PM
Can anyone else see how cheap the interior looks like.. especially the steering wheel, i hate that the most! The stereo and climate system are both cheap looking too, not to mention that the climate system is manual. my 1994 900SE has better technology in it than this does.

Overall I am very disappointed, especially in the fact that everything about this car except the front grill looked just like an outback or wrx..its all subaru. Its really weird to look at that car and see the saab emblem on it. Its like a subaru wannabe saab. Rediculous.

greenphotos
8th December 2003, 04:58 PM
For all ye imperialists... :wink:
http://194.18.30.108/smo/smopics/0/03438C.JPG

Mark
:cheesy:

AWD4LIFE
8th December 2003, 05:09 PM
Ugh English units. :P

nandanrp
8th December 2003, 05:19 PM
Is the shnoz on the WRX as long?

I still want it.

serrano
8th December 2003, 06:45 PM
Definitely sleeker, but looks pretty much just like my wrx wagon. I was hoping the interior would be a big improvement over the impreza interior... but doesn't look like it. Some quick observations the 9-2 has single tip muffler rather than dual, and no center tach, which is too bad imo.. i love the center tach. Also, looks like you're going to have to deal with the no boost gauge from the factory and the terrible 6 disc head unit. Looks exactly the same, except for some shiny silver plastics. The profile looks much better, but the rear, and front angle looks like a GGB (04 wagon body style) with a body kit. The two tone interior looks nice, but cheap for sure.

just some of my observations

the wheels of course are much nicer than the subaru ones... hmm, cheap take offs off of the 9-2 might make for cheap rims for current wrx owners... i wonder if they'll clear a big brake kit...

here's a pic of a wrx center console - this one is clearly modified w/gauges and gauge controls where the cupholder is... new shift knob, boost controller, and a turbo timer... but the resemblance is clear, and the shiny plastic makeover obvious...

http://www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~serrano/Pictures/centerconsole.jpg

m750
8th December 2003, 06:52 PM

IMHO, a refined, more polished WRX would be a good thing, and good for SAAB as well. A half-hearted effort will not. Period.

Sigh... I would have thought the interior would have been much more redesigned. One can hope those picts aren't real, but I doubt that. Well, I won't be the first to say, save your money, go buy a wrx, at least you'll get the original.
AO

900t
8th December 2003, 07:02 PM
Look at that great steering wheel!

Look at how small the airbag is! That is truly impressive! Look at any other US car steering wheel and you get something huge.

Looks pretty good, actually. The key is a disappointment.

MonkeyMan
8th December 2003, 08:43 PM
The whole car is a dissapointment, IMHO. What are they doing to SAAB? Where is the center console ignition? Where is the curved, aeronautical dashboard? Where are the dash-mounted light switches? What about the round gas filler cover? What about the conveniently mounted climate control dials?? We have a Legacy Outback wagon, and I think it's a great car, but if I wanted a Subaru I would BUY A SUBARU!! This is pathetic.

BEN

20Ted
8th December 2003, 09:25 PM
The whole car is a dissapointment, IMHO. What are they doing to SAAB? Where is the center console ignition? Where is the curved, aeronautical dashboard? Where are the dash-mounted light switches? What about the round gas filler cover? What about the conveniently mounted climate control dials?? We have a Legacy Outback wagon, and I think it's a great car, but if I wanted a Subaru I would BUY A SUBARU!! This is pathetic.

BEN

It's better than most of us expected!

IMHO, SAAB did the best the could with what they were handed...it's a pretty big improvement over the Sub version...

The things you are all complaining about will be on the NG9-2X...give SAAB a break for God's sake - when you get handed a trailer you can't make the Taj Majal out of it!

mbodo
8th December 2003, 09:50 PM

Not so sure it will wind up being good for SAAB. While the Scoob doesn't have "in the gutter" looks, it does look very cheap, inside and out. I guess it's like putting a $50 suit on someone and sending them out to hang with the tophats & coat tails (ok, maybe a level below, chinos and polo shirts?)

If I took a piece of garbage, and wrapped it in a plastic bag, it would still be a piece of garbage. If I took that same piece of garbage, and wrapped it in some leather, I would have a piece of garbage wrapped in leather.

I guess I'll take the wait & see approach to see how it's 'wrapped', but I'm not expecting to be impressed.

JMO, YMMV, etc, bla bla.

[not insisting scoobies are garbage, just using it for .. the dramatic effect?]

squishmann
8th December 2003, 11:07 PM
wow that really sucks, no wonder they waited so long to release the pics

good job guys. i think the total project cost them 300 bucks, no lie. this may be one of the worst rebadge jobs i've ever seen

but when you think about it people are stupid. GM has to know something we don't. or how else could they sell the Escalade, EXT, and all of those other cars.

belive it or not people will buy it. i just can't wait to see them at the SOC

sethsev7n
8th December 2003, 11:37 PM
lol, i havent seen one positive comment about it posted. At least we all agree on something !

Magus Kampodraken
9th December 2003, 01:06 AM
Life card:
"Skip Saab 9-2, forget about it, and go straight to 9-3 Sport Hatch".

Honestly, I rather hold out for that car! I like the styling inside and out! Plus it will probably out handle the Saabuaru cause of the reaxis and the corner braking system!

Call to Saab, make the new Sport Hatch worth our while!!!

RED
9th December 2003, 02:30 AM
Ahhh, finally -- better pictures. Thanks to all concerned.

Still, almost every pic tries to hide the hatch area. That rear pillar hard point is a real bugger to wrap new skin around and get a fresh new look. Cannot say I'm surprised.

Oh well, they obviously did not pop for a new dashboard and console. That was a big, big mistake. However, in all fairness, anyone ranting that it is a terrible design has other issues. It is not terrible, it is just not in any way distinctive as a SAAB. But it was one of the few areas of the car where they could have sold a SAAB product, given entry level customers a taste for SAAB styling, and what they have here is just more Subaru. Which is fine - in a Subaru dealership.

The front clip is very busy, with the headlights in particular a jarring shape. (Part 9-3, part 9-5, and not well integrated into the flow of the front intake shapes.) Tough call. Might work. But Subaru already corners the market for busy (not to say chaotic and boy racer inspired) styling, and I would have played it very cool and understated to emphasize the contrast between brands.

From these pics, I do not think GM has pulled it off.

hagfish7
9th December 2003, 07:33 AM
All I can think is, WTF?

And isn't the pricing of the 9-2X a little ambitious? a little too close to the price of a 9-3 Linear for a car that is much OLDER and CHEAPER looking.

And geez, how hard would it be to change SOMEthing in the interior. Changing the vents to look more like Saab couldn't be that hard right?

Whatever...

At least this should help my 9-3SS depreciate even faster. No wait, that's also a BAD thing. Boo

SentraSR20
9th December 2003, 08:48 AM
Guys, considering the questionable quality of the interior materials in the new 9-3, I don't think it's smart to knock on the Suby's interior quality. At least every Subaru I've been in (late model) has been rattle free :wink::lol:. All kidding aside, yeah, they plagiarized the Suby, but the car is an excellent base to begin with. The late model Impreza platform has been a reliable, solid platform that has accepted a variety of trim levels. As far as outhandling a 9-3SS? well, on dry pavement, the two might be equal as the stock RE92's on the Suby aren't all that sticky. However, as soon as the road conditions deteriorate, all bets are off. AWD might be overrated in dry weather, but it's invaluable in anything but. I posted in another thread (Desires for the 9-2) about what, from a features standpoint, Saab has to match in order to make this car a success. Dynamically speaking though, basing the new 9-2 off of the excellent handling WRX was a great idea IMHO! :wink:

PunktKruger
9th December 2003, 01:19 PM
Nice placement of the key, dicks. :(

stew
9th December 2003, 01:38 PM
I hope this thread doesn't go the same way as other have recently, but I must comment on these newer pictures. I've just showed my Father (who hadn't seen the 9-2) and he queried as to why someone stuck a Saab badge on an Impreza. I value his opinion - he's spent the last 8 months unloading Japanese imports at a local port. He's unloaded his fair share of scoobies in this time and rates them (wasn't supposed to drive them over 15mph while unloading - fat chance!), but thinks the 9-2 should be loaded onto the tricolor :cheesy:

sethsev7n
9th December 2003, 05:05 PM
Everyone ive showed it to wondered why it was a rebadged impreza :cry:

nandanrp
9th December 2003, 05:41 PM
http://www.nasioc.com/sti/SOA_04STi_Gallery/?ImageName=dash.jpg

I think it's the same wheel...(rebadged of course :wink: :P )

Also, someone tell me if I am wrong, but the seats in the 9-2X pics look like the '02 WRX seats, not the seats from the '04 (the new seats have fixed headrests). Am I right? If so, looks like Subaru is getting rid of their excess inventory on '02/'03 gauges and seats.

I'll still buy one :P

Nairda
9th December 2003, 07:38 PM
http://www.detnews.com/pix/2002/12/03/wagoner.jpg
Rick Wagoner. CEO of General Mistake & master bean counter.
Rick, how much money can the 9-2 make for GM?
A gabillion dollars? I doubt it. So why this cheap knock off?

Stuart
10th December 2003, 05:34 AM
lol, i havent seen one positive comment about it posted. At least we all agree on something !

I think you need to take the blinkers off and stop ignoring the positive comments that have been made...

I like it.

I still want it.

Look at that great steering wheel!

Look at how small the airbag is! That is truly impressive! Look at any other US car steering wheel and you get something huge.

Looks pretty good, actually.

it's a pretty big improvement over the Sub version...

I'll still buy one :P

Dynamically speaking though, basing the new 9-2 off of the excellent handling WRX was a great idea IMHO! :wink:

8valvegrowl
10th December 2003, 01:48 PM
I'd seriously consider it, if it drives as well as the Rexy and has a little more subtlety to it AND if it will give Saab some extra cash and impetus to design a new generation of AWD Saabs, than I can't say it will be a bad thing at all. I've ridden in a lot of late model Japanese cars, yes some of the material aren't as nice as say an Audi A6, but they work fine. Saab has had plenty of humble interiors (anyone ever looked inside a two-stroker? how about even a 99GL?). For an Entry level car with lots of performance promise, it appeals to someone like me...a person who puts the driving experience over image, Saab has never been an image car; it makes me sad to see how much it has become one.

nandanrp
10th December 2003, 02:18 PM
...a person who puts the driving experience over image

good man :D

garry
10th December 2003, 02:19 PM
If this car is a success it is due mainly to the good work of Subaru and not SAAB. I hope SAAB fully intend to acknowledge this at every opportunity as I fear that; obvious though it may seem to many of us, the typical 9-2 buyer will probably be oblivious as to the cars prestigious origins.

The thought that this car will probably compete against Subaru's own original version is horrific considering Subaru are actualy building it for SAAB as well.
The main looser would seem to be GM at the end of the day, or did I miss something?.
Respect for both SAAB and Subaru could also be damaged in the process.
'Could'?......Maybe it already has been?

Some positive comments have appeared but they seem to be few and whilst placing them in context, dissapate into token.

The car is ment as a tempory idea whilst both Subaru an SAAB create all new designs.. I just hope GM don't get a taste for rebadging between its companys.
What about a Subaru based on the 9-5 ?.... I would have said that was a ridiculous idea some months ago...today it appears such a mad idea could actually be plausible.

whats wrong with a 99GL interior ?! :o :-? :D

The 9-2 has been quite a shocker.... Its not really about how good or bad this car is... I think the real issue is where this path will lead 5 years down the line.
There is after all no doubt that it will drive well..

nandanrp
10th December 2003, 02:41 PM
If this car is a success it is due mainly to the good work of Subaru and not SAAB. I hope SAAB fully intend to acknowledge this at every opportunity as I fear that; obvious though it may seem to many of us, the typical 9-2 buyer will probably be oblivious as to the cars prestigious origins.

The thought that this car will probably compete against Subaru's own original version is horrific considering Subaru are actualy building it for SAAB as well.
The main looser would seem to be GM at the end of the day, or did I miss something?.
Respect for both SAAB and Subaru could also be damaged in the process.
'Could'?......Maybe it already has been?

Some positive comments have appeared but they seem to be few and whilst placing them in context, dissapate into token.

The car is ment as a tempory idea whilst both Subaru an SAAB create all new designs.. I just hope GM don't get a taste for rebadging between its companys.
What about a Subaru based on the 9-5 ?.... I would have said that was a ridiculous idea some months ago...today it appears such a mad idea could actually be plausible.

whats wrong with a 99GL interior ?! :o :-? :D

The 9-2 has been quite a shocker.... Its not really about how good or bad this car is... I think the real issue is where this path will lead 5 years down the line.
There is after all no doubt that it will drive well..

I doubt they'd ever use the 9-5 wagon, seeing as how a new Legacy is coming out (with a very upscale interior I might add). There is also a Legacy Turbo coming out, whether it will come in wagon form or not I don't know. Besides all that, they wouldn't use the 9-5 Wagon, it's FWD :P

I know there is disappointment with how the 9-2X turned out (too Subaru for you guys), but they wanted it to market FAST - the BMW 1 series and Audi A3 are coming out soon, and Saab wanted to beat them to it. The next gen 9-2 will be far more Saab, although it will most likely still be based on the next gen Impreza (I believe SAAB and Subaru are engineering the next Impreza/9-2 together...).

jochen
10th December 2003, 02:44 PM
It really hurts to see a SAAB emblem on that steering wheel.

It doesn't matter in what SAAB I take place, it will always feel like home, but I can't imagen I would feel good in this SAABaru

:nono;