Exhaust Upgrade for Linear [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Exhaust Upgrade for Linear

loebsta
5th December 2003, 12:03 PM
I was wondering what others experience has been with upgrading the exhaust on a Linear. Curiously, the existing rear fascia doesn't have a cutout for an exhaust. I noticed on Saabcatalog.com that a "Decor Kit" is required. First question is, does anyone know what the decor kit is and what the installation entails? Has anyone upgraded their Linear to the Saab exhausts? What about aftermarket exhausts? Lastly, are there any performance benefits other than sound and looks? Santa might need some new pipes for his ride!

finklejag
5th December 2003, 01:35 PM
The decor kit is just a little u shape collar that fits on the stock valence. You cut a hole in the valence.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/files/hitch_1.jpg

You can also buy the BSR 2.5 inch catback. It sits below the valence. You don't have to cut anything out.

http://www.genuinesaab.com/cat/b63-h.jpg

The SAAB muffler runs about $300. It just a muffler. Then you have to buy the $40.00 decor kit. The BSR runs $494.00. It a full stainless steel system all the way to the cat. So It will last alot longer then the stock aluminum system. The BSR is a better deal in my opinion.

loebsta
5th December 2003, 03:27 PM
Thanks! You're always on the ball. I do like the sporty look the exhaust extention with decor kit provides. Does anyone have a photo of the catback exhaust installed (I'm assuming the picture is of an OEM exhaust)? Does it extend beyond the valence? Where are they available? Do they have to be customized for the 93 or are they made specifically for the car? Sorry for all the questions but I know that someone in Saabland will know.

finklejag
5th December 2003, 04:07 PM
The first pic is of the SAAB sport muffler. It does extend out a little from the valence. You can buy the Muffler and decor kit from your dealer.

Nobody on here has a aftermarket catback yet.

03_Saab 9-3
5th December 2003, 04:34 PM
I was contemplating doing the CatBack but when i weighed everything out I decided to do the Magnaflow universal ss muffler with a nice doublewall oval tip, I will get the decor kit and have it color matched to my car. *Mrs. Clause* is gettin the stuff for me can't wait to try it on hehe.

Pooter8D
9th December 2003, 04:08 PM
is the decor piece plastic?? is there anyway it can look fluid with the bumper?? not like an extra piece?

loebsta
16th December 2003, 06:25 PM
Just a follow-up to my previous question, does anyone know what the difference is between the Twin Sport Exhaust ($304) and the Aero-Look Sport Exhaust ($446) is? On a different thread, someone said there is a 15 hp increase on the 2.0t engine but I wasn't sure which exhaust was used. 15 hp sounds intriguing...

finklejag
16th December 2003, 06:28 PM
Its the same exhuast with a $140 oval tip. :o

loebsta
16th December 2003, 07:39 PM
OUCH! :o

03_Saab 9-3
16th December 2003, 09:41 PM
Yep thats what i said,,, ouch, i waited for the Saab single oval then saw the price. Instead going with universal magnaflow stainless steel muffler ($87) and double wall polished stainless tip ($45) Basically the same setup Mav has and he seems to love his not to mention it looks great and from he says sounds magnificent!

mav238
17th December 2003, 11:30 AM
Yep thats what i said,,, ouch, i waited for the Saab single oval then saw the price. Instead going with universal magnaflow stainless steel muffler ($87) and double wall polished stainless tip ($45) Basically the same setup Mav has and he seems to love his not to mention it looks great and from he says sounds magnificent!

03_SAAB 9-3:

I believe you will love the MAGNAFLOW. My service manager when he sat into the car with me while it was idling, during one of my previous visits, he smiled and said "nice sound eh!". Like I indicated a long while ago, it gets even more intoxicating when you rev the engine up during acceleration, especially from 1st-3rd gear (up to 5500rpm). Deceleration is also cool, the deep tone rumble as you gear down from 100 km/hr.

I don't understand why SAAB would call the accessory muffler, "twin sport exhaust". It's really still the single muffler and exhaust piping. To me, a twin sport means there are two individual exhaust piping running from the engine leading to separate mufflers, like in the porsche. True twin exhausts have individual exhaust manifold runners for each bank of cylinders, which will definitely increase the effiency of exhausting the combusted hot gases. A single exhaust manifold leading into two mufflers is not the optimal, and it's only slightly better than one leading into a single muffler. But the SAAB accessory exhaust, is a twin "MUFFLER TIP" exhaustm and not the claimed high performance true twin exhaust (piping) you find in high performance cars.

loebsta
17th December 2003, 11:55 AM
Good points all! Still, you have to commend Saab for getting 15 hp out of the upgrade. I have found that Saab does engineer their parts and accessories as opposed to some manufacturers who simply put stuff on the market that is for show only!

mav238
17th December 2003, 12:12 PM
Good points all! Still, you have to commend Saab for getting 15 hp out of the upgrade. I have found that Saab does engineer their parts and accessories as opposed to some manufacturers who simply put stuff on the market that is for show only!

Where did you get this SAAB claim of 15hp gain from? I believe the twin sport accessory is simply a high performance muffler (freer-flowing). Is it a cat-back? I really don't think so, but I could be wrong... To get a substantial gain in (10%)Hp from just the exhaust, you need to basically change the exhaust from all the way back to where the exhaust manifold runner meets the exhaust piping.

loebsta
18th December 2003, 10:41 AM
Mav,

The 15 hp quote came from Mikej in the 93 Tuning Potential thread. Unless its been dynoed, I'm just going on what the good people in Saabland report. Hopefully it's true.

Saba
18th December 2003, 11:12 AM
Mav,

The 15 hp quote came from Mikej in the 93 Tuning Potential thread. Unless its been dynoed, I'm just going on what the good people in Saabland report. Hopefully it's true.Mike had his 2.0t dynoed a few weeks back. It came in at 190bhp. Mike has attributed the extra 15hp to the Saab twin sports exhaust he has installed. Make your own determination on that one. I hope it is true too.

mav238
18th December 2003, 11:38 AM
Mav,

The 15 hp quote came from Mikej in the 93 Tuning Potential thread. Unless its been dynoed, I'm just going on what the good people in Saabland report. Hopefully it's true.Mike had his 2.0t dynoed a few weeks back. It came in at 190bhp. Mike has attributed the extra 15hp to the Saab twin sports exhaust he has installed. Make your own determination on that one. I hope it is true too.

I am not saying that I doubt MikeJ reporting of the HP increase from the dyno, but Abbott racing sport exhaust for the 9-3 SS only claims a 6hp increase, and these guys tune SAABs for a living. Hmmm... I guess somebody else making OEM sport mufflers for SAAB must know something better than abbott racing.

RED
18th December 2003, 12:21 PM
If they decide to do so, any oem can build more effective exhaust and intake systems (or any other performance component you care to name) than all but the very best aftermarket companies. Those very few might (might!) do just as well as a determined oem. Why? The oem has huge amounts of engine mapping data with which to start, top notch engineers either employed or available as consultants, and all the best design toys. BMW reguarly does this with the M-types: aftermaket catbacks are strictly for show/noise on these cars.

For car makers who care to do so, it is not nearly as much work (nor so expensive) as it is for the aftermarket. This is not rocket science; It is just a matter of making the decision to do it. SAAB engineers tune SAABs for a living too. So, has SAAB done that? Perhaps they have. I have been looking at the dyno data that has been posted so far, and it seems promising.

mav238
18th December 2003, 01:44 PM
If they decide to do so, any oem can build more effective exhaust and intake systems (or any other performance component you care to name) than all but the very best aftermarket companies. Those very few might (might!) do just as well as a determined oem. Why? The oem has huge amounts of engine mapping data with which to start, top notch engineers either employed or available as consultants, and all the best design toys. BMW reguarly does this with the M-types: aftermaket catbacks are strictly for show/noise on these cars.

For car makers who care to do so, it is not nearly as much work (nor so expensive) as it is for the aftermarket. This is not rocket science; It is just a matter of making the decision to do it. SAAB engineers tune SAABs for a living too. So, has SAAB done that? Perhaps they have. I have been looking at the dyno data that has been posted so far, and it seems promising.

Good points. But I have to say that a single dyno result does not validate the "real" result. I read in a turbo magazine article that the same car dynoed on 10 different dyno equipment around the country, gave variability of as much as 5%. Also was there an aftermarket cone airfilter mod with MikeJ's car as well?

RED
18th December 2003, 05:29 PM
That would be why I used the word "promising" 8)

loebsta
9th January 2004, 01:46 PM
Dear All:

I wrote to Saabcatalog.com to see if they had any performance specs on the twin sport exhaust and this is the response I got back. I thought you'd find it interesting...

"The information I have is that the sport exhaust will increase by 5-7 in horse power, you may contact your local Saab dealer for more information."

Thank You
Della
Customer Service

Is there anyone out there that knows of a dealer who could actually provide accurate information?

loebsta
9th January 2004, 01:46 PM
Dear All:

I wrote to Saabcatalog.com to see if they had any performance specs on the twin sport exhaust and this is the response I got back. I thought you'd find it interesting...

"The information I have is that the sport exhaust will increase by 5-7 in horse power, you may contact your local Saab dealer for more information."

Thank You
Della
Customer Service

Is there anyone out there that knows of a dealer who could actually provide accurate information?