Buffing paint newb>!! [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Buffing paint newb>!!

tirado_881
20-06-10, 12:06 AM
hey i have a black 9000 cse 1995 looking for some tips on what to use and how to go about it. i was thinking of using an electric buffer however dont know what gives better and longer lasting results. mostly trying to get rid of swirl marks from highway driving and restore the clear coat it has that foggy look on the paint. thanks ahead of time.

iceracer
20-06-10, 08:44 PM
Question do you have a professional buffer or one of the parts store/box store wax/buffer machines. The answer depends on the machine.
Professional buffers buy professional buffing compounds, start/test with the swirl remover first, to see if you can get improvements from the least abrasive. I like the newer foam pad technology over the wool mop

For box store waxer buffers follow the manufacurers directions.

My black 97 Aero was not clear coated from the factory if you can use a small area with a hand cleaner compound and get black paint you do not have a clear coat paint on the car. Test to be sure what you have.

tirado_881
20-06-10, 11:49 PM
Well i am using a ryobi 6inch buffer from home depot i have used the mothers cleaner wax in the past but not sure what the best thing would be i am not only looking to do my car but also some friends. i know every instance is a little bit different but i am looking for things that i should consider and be aware of when buying certain compounds waxes polish and any other exterior detailing chemicals. like maybe some personal favorites.

Question do you have a professional buffer or one of the parts store/box store wax/buffer machines. The answer depends on the machine.
Professional buffers buy professional buffing compounds, start/test with the swirl remover first, to see if you can get improvements from the least abrasive. I like the newer foam pad technology over the wool mop

For box store waxer buffers follow the manufacurers directions.

My black 97 Aero was not clear coated from the factory if you can use a small area with a hand cleaner compound and get black paint you do not have a clear coat paint on the car. Test to be sure what you have.

bigcol
21-06-10, 09:44 AM
Give it a realy good wash, then hit it with a meguires clay bar, and then polish it. The clay bar will remove all of the trapped grime that is still in the paint. Check out the internet for "detailing" tutorials, and Forums. If you go on youtube...dont take any notice from videos posted by expert vilage, they are experts in sweet f*** all.
If your car generaly looks good after a wash, you might not need to go any further than a clay bar. It realy makes a diferance. Hope this helps.
Col