wrapping air-intake tubing [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: wrapping air-intake tubing

mav238
3rd December 2003, 02:42 PM
I was just reading somewhere that one way to help bring in a cooler air charge into the engine is to wrap the air intake tubing (connecting the airbox and the engine) with heat rflecting material. Hmmm... I am thinking how much this will help, but given the engine compartment is a pretty ho place when the engine is running, maybe it's worth trying???

Pooter8D
3rd December 2003, 05:03 PM
try it..
dyno it...
post it..
:)

nestoraero
3rd December 2003, 05:35 PM
I was thinking more like to conect a simple tube from the front side of the airbox to the air intake in the lower front of the car.
I don't know if I used the correct words, hope you guys understand what I mean.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Viscouse
3rd December 2003, 06:27 PM
I'm gonna put this in the Performance Mods & Tuning Forum. Maybe some of the folks in there have some good ideas!

Saba
3rd December 2003, 08:08 PM
I'm gonna put this in the Performance Mods & Tuning Forum. Maybe some of the folks in there have some good ideas!They're the same folks in both forums :cheesy: All have got no idea. :cheesy: Well, some do.

epsilon93
3rd December 2003, 09:08 PM
I have tried wrapping it with closed cell insulating foam (flame retardant of course) in my previous car. I did not dyno it but it felt a little better from a cold start. It helped prolong the cool air effect but eventually the heat still got the better of the tube. It didn't make any difference once you are stuck in traffic. The engine bay is still a very hot place to be. I found that most of the heat is conducted from the engine intake to the tube. By wrapping, you may have delayed the effect since wrapping will only stop radiated heat but not conducted heat.

One other thing you can wrap is the exhaust manifold with something like Thermo-tec or some ceramic thermal barrier coating. This works! Tested and dynoed. Slight improvement in hp and significantly lowered engine bay temperature. 3M also has something similiar which is used by Nascar and proven to be better. I believe it is also used as insulation in space shuttles and space stations. Unfortunately they are bloody expensive and difficult to come by in small quantities.

RED
4th December 2003, 05:41 PM

oslowley
4th December 2003, 11:34 PM