rpm's and shifting ?? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: rpm's and shifting ??

dirtsaab
1st December 2003, 08:01 PM
Maybe this is a dumb question, but anyway...
I recently acquired a '94 9000 aero (5 speed) and I really like the car, but I am having a hard time driving it smoothly like my old '89 900T. Part of the problem is driving style I'm sure (and a lead foot 8) ), but I feel as though the car takes too long to drop the revs during an upshift. I can usually match up the engine/wheel speed if I shift fairly slowly, but this is kind of bothersome. Is the rate at which rpm's fall simply a function of the weight of the flywheel, or does the ECU have some say in the matter? Again, maybe this is all in my head :oops: ...but advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryan Kelly

DrSquirley
13th December 2003, 07:00 PM
the 9000s fall slower, one of my female friends drives one, and it drives different than my 900

valbowski1980
13th December 2003, 08:24 PM
My 93 does the same thing. No big deal, you get used to it after a while. Try easing off of the gas a bit earlier before you shift, that worked for me.

SOates82
7th January 2004, 06:21 AM
Its probably due to the 10tonne flywheel saab seem to insist on using! Whip it off and shave some weight off it, will give you berrter acceleration (well a small improvement) and will also result in the revs dropping off faster.

boxman
26th January 2004, 09:44 AM
check throttle butterfly isnt set to wide at idle, you may not be getting fuel shut off (engine management still think you have the peddle pressed a little) :lol:

clg31187
27th January 2004, 05:45 AM
saab 9000 trannys have to be shifted slowly and somewhat gently, speed shifting will destroy them and dumping the clutch is not good either...be nice to your car and it will be nice to you. Also saab redesigned the trans for 94 making it much smoother and easier to shift. I have a 92 and my dad a 97 w/ more miles and I'll take his trans over mine any day

-Christophe

valbowski1980
29th January 2004, 11:00 PM
saab 9000 trannys have to be shifted slowly and somewhat gently, speed shifting will destroy them and dumping the clutch is not good either...be nice to your car and it will be nice to you. Also saab redesigned the trans for 94 making it much smoother and easier to shift. I have a 92 and my dad a 97 w/ more miles and I'll take his trans over mine any day

-Christophe

Ditto

Pause for a fraction of a second between gears, double clutching doesn’t hurt as either (especially gear 5). There is a real art to driving an older 9000 5-speed smoothly since Hondas and VWs don't mind being sliced and diced so much. Once you learn how, there wont be a manual too sensitive 8)

P.S.
Keep in mind that on the pre-94s the reverse gear is not synchronized.