Convertable roof restore / clean [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Convertable roof restore / clean

masonst0rm
2nd May 2010, 11:58 AM
I have a Saab 9-3 on a 07 plate with a black soft top... but I seem to be getting some lighter patches appearing where it folds are etc... I have washed with Autoglem but doesn't seem to make much difference, can anyone recommend any product that can restore the colour back to something like new without having to do all the top...

galaynta
3rd May 2010, 07:37 AM
I have no solution for you, but am having the same issue myself. I tried a top treatment, but it didn't help.

tonyav
3rd May 2010, 07:41 AM
I have no solution for you, but am having the same issue myself. I tried a top treatment, but it didn't help.

Same here.:(

EuroStyle
3rd May 2010, 01:14 PM
I have them lightly appearing too....I plan on using the two part clean and treatment from Raggtopp just as soon as the pollen stops flying here in NY....

Sean

GlassGrey
4th May 2010, 10:12 AM
I seem to remember some earlier posts on this.. and the manual recommends that that you don't put the top down unless its completely dry to prevent water/mineral stains... or something like that.

Please post any good remedies or proven top protection/cleaning products.

casualhouse
4th May 2010, 10:34 AM
I used this on my top,

http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.cfm/category/71/convertible-top-kits.cfm

The cleaner darkened the top a bit, and the fabric guard protects the roof from water and UV damage.

tonyav
4th May 2010, 11:00 AM
I seem to remember some earlier posts on this.. and the manual recommends that that you don't put the top down unless its completely dry to prevent water/mineral stains... or something like that.

Please post any good remedies or proven top protection/cleaning products.

I am going to use the 3 step system by Renovo ( Saab approved ). It consist,s of a soft top canvas cleaner, soft top reviver ( re- colours and re-conditions like new ) and lastly ultra proofer ( re-establishes the original '' as new '' waterproof weather barrier ). I will report back when the job is done ( weather not to good where i live in the U.K. at the moment ) waiting for a good dry day to do it. :)

96mn12
4th May 2010, 11:05 AM
Link to product please?

I also have the same problem, although mine is the opposite, I have the sand top, and on the folds, its getting darker. Tried the raggtop cleaner and sealer/spray can, didnt do anything.

I am going to use the 3 step system by Renovo ( Saab approved ). It consist,s of a soft top canvas cleaner, soft top reviver ( re- colours and re-conditions like new ) and lastly ultra proofer ( re-establishes the original '' as new '' waterproof weather barrier ). I will report back when the job is done ( weather not to good where i live in the U.K. at the moment ) waiting for a good dry day to do it. :)

tonyav
4th May 2010, 11:13 AM
Link to product please?

I also have the same problem, although mine is the opposite, I have the sand top, and on the folds, its getting darker. Tried the raggtop cleaner and sealer/spray can, didnt do anything.

Hi, i would put a link up for you but i'm afraid i dont know how to ( i'm not that bright with computers yet ).
I googled Saab convertible top cleaner's and came across the Renovo products. Or maybe you could just google Renovo. :)

saabsmooth
4th May 2010, 04:40 PM
Spoke to a guy from 303 he said the cleaner isn't necessary and soap and water would likely be the best course of action. Try to make sure to brush the contaminants out and wash with a microfiber rag 3 x or more times @ 75 degrees or more. Then drying completely so when the protection is put on it's hot and adhere's evenly. I have some spots of lightness on my black top and I am going to use 303 spot remover .Raggtop was used a year ago and I guess it did a fair job. I did it in colder weather so I'll try to wait for 80 degrees no wind. Probably the friction makes the discoloration as that's what areas on my 5 year old top seem to need attention.If I had a picture i would share it.

tonyav
13th May 2010, 01:48 AM

Well i have now done my roof using the renovo products. The soft top reviver is great my roof is now black again, it does cover those faded areas. It is a black coloured liquid that you brush on using a 2 inch paint brush and it seems to re-dye the roof back to black ( looks brand new ).
Very pleasing results. :D

jrmckins
13th May 2010, 09:24 AM
Well i have now done my roof using the renovo products. The soft top reviver is great my roof is now black again, it does cover those faded areas. It is a black coloured liquid that you brush on using a 2 inch paint brush and it seems to re-dye the roof back to black ( looks brand new ).
Very pleasing results. :D
can you post before and after pics?

Jay9K
13th May 2010, 11:19 AM
Check out these products, I've not used them but I was looking to do this to my Z4 after recomendations from the owners forum.

Thank you for your recent Renovo enquiry. The Renovo products you require are the Renovo Soft Top Canvas Cleaner, Soft Top Reviver and The Renovo Ultra Proofer. Please view attached documents. If you should have any further questions regarding the Renovo convertible car care product range please feel free to contact us.

Kind Regards
Customer Service
www.renovointernational.com (http://www.renovointernational.com)

Jay

tonyav
13th May 2010, 11:41 AM
can you post before and after pics?

Sorry i didn't think to take any photo's ( i now wish that i had ).
The photo that is in JAY9K,s Renovo link is pretty accurate though, i would recommend it and i would not hesitate using it again on my Saab or any other rag top i may own in the future. :D

GlassGrey
13th May 2010, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the follow-up! Please keep us updated over the summer for color fastness, etc. if you can.