Front grill blacked out + a suprise (PIX) [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Front grill blacked out + a suprise (PIX)

JLazop3
27th April 2010, 03:49 PM
Ok I realize I'm kind of teasing with the title of this thread but how can I upload a picture from a folder into a thread!? I'm sorry for not having one already just somebody let me know and I'll post it asap! Thanx in advance

xp3
27th April 2010, 03:58 PM
When posting click on "Paper clip" icon to insert attachment,
or click "Image" icon to post a linked image from your gallery,
or picture hosting site like Imageshack.

JLazop3
27th April 2010, 04:05 PM

I hope this worked...

EDIT: haha woohoo!

Anyway, special thanks to Vector-SS for nearly walking me through it step by step, it turned out perfectly! Chrome to matte black + BSR emblem =D

Vector-SS
27th April 2010, 04:29 PM
Looks great ! :D

I like the BSR badge and it looks like you did a perfect job. Awesome!

MR.SAAB
27th April 2010, 04:57 PM
wanna make some money? where in pa are you?

awjones
27th April 2010, 05:05 PM
looks familiar...I chose the small badge for the stealth look. but alot of random strangers ask me "what kind of Saab a BSR is..."
the matte black looks nice. good job!

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/1767/2361/29416180030_large.jpg

JLazop3
27th April 2010, 05:34 PM
wanna make some money? where in pa are you?

Chester County, PA... Near Delaware border about 40 minutes from Phila. and 15 minutes from West Chester University...

PM?

JLazop3
27th April 2010, 05:35 PM
looks familiar...I chose the small badge for the stealth look. but alot of random strangers ask me "what kind of Saab a BSR is..."
the matte black looks nice. good job!

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/1767/2361/29416180030_large.jpg

I was going to use the little on however I couldn't figure out how to get it in there. After enough deliberating I decided to go with the big one (also I like it more because it stands out and I can see it from far away)

JLazop3
27th April 2010, 09:15 PM

When I got the big emblem I wasn't sure what size I would want so I got both.

Here's what the little one became used for.

kombs85
27th April 2010, 10:16 PM
The grill looks very nice. I may want to do this later on in the year.

awjones
28th April 2010, 12:29 AM
I was going to use the little on however I couldn't figure out how to get it in there. After enough deliberating I decided to go with the big one (also I like it more because it stands out and I can see it from far away)

it just took a few creative brain cells! i basically used a small clamp, and a clear piece of plastic bent to 90degrees. holding strong even after 3 years:D. i think ive realized that the large badge is too big for my sleeper, its still in the box.

9-3gotboostAERO
28th April 2010, 08:44 AM
looks good! now do me a favor and go to autozone.
When you get there spend $5 on a pack of clear bulbs for your turn signals and wallah!
even better looking front end

awjones
28th April 2010, 05:30 PM
^^ agree about the stealth bulbs. i have some (not shown in pic above) and they really make a difference. makes the car look more aggressive. cheap upgrade too.

JLazop3
28th April 2010, 05:32 PM
wouldn't they make your turn signals clear when blinking? Isn't that, well, sorta bad?

alexdrops
28th April 2010, 06:24 PM
it doesnt light up as orange as before sure...but its worth it for the looks ;] plus it still lights up yellow.

Just DO ITTTT!

kart125
28th April 2010, 06:45 PM
It looks bad in a good way! Kind of an "RS4" look. I put mine on the trunk...

Any ideas where I could get a second badge besides genuinesaab? The badge is 8,50$ and shipping is 20$!!

Thanks

http://i350.photobucket.com/al***s/q419/kart125/DSC_0688.jpg

kart125
28th April 2010, 06:48 PM
did you just glued the badge to the grille or used another method for fixation?

JLazop3
28th April 2010, 07:57 PM
did you just glued the badge to the grille or used another method for fixation?

Yep apoxy but used a paperclip as my glueing utencil so it ended up pretty clean..

EuroStyle
28th April 2010, 08:27 PM
Wow, the wrap came out really nice...how about a pic from like 5 more feet back? What vinyl did you use?

Sean

kart125
28th April 2010, 09:53 PM

I hope this worked...

EDIT: haha woohoo!

Anyway, special thanks to Vector-SS for nearly walking me through it step by step, it turned out perfectly! Chrome to matte black + BSR emblem =D

You shoukd post an "how to" since I think a lot of us are interested in trying it.

J_DEW3
29th April 2010, 12:10 AM
I want to do that to my car... how did you go about painting the grille?

JLazop3
29th April 2010, 02:59 PM
As far as painting goes there so a ton of threads on people converting the grill lip from chrome to matte black but I used Krylon Fusion Satin black spray paint with Krylon's "matte" finish clear coat. About 5 coats of paint and 2 coats of clear will do it.

As far as the emblem I just kinda winged it praying not to messup on the apoxy glue (30 min dry time, 8 hours to full strength so I didnt drive with a grille for 1 day). Just line it up, glue... not much "process" to it.

EDIT: Sand. Alot! I mean don't kill the thing just use a very very fine sandpaper and just get it to look all brushed and get the reflective chrome gone. Once it's not mirrored and has a brushed, worn look to it you should be good to paint! I only let my coats dry for about 3-5 minutes between each, plus I did it outside. So it was kind of risky b/c of grass/bugs/dirt etc. but turned out great!

Vector-SS
29th April 2010, 04:00 PM
As far as painting goes there so a ton of threads on people converting the grill lip from chrome to matte black but I used Krylon Fusion Satin black spray paint with Krylon's "matte" finish clear coat. About 5 coats of paint and 2 coats of clear will do it.

As far as the emblem I just kinda winged it praying not to messup on the apoxy glue (30 min dry time, 8 hours to full strength so I didnt drive with a grille for 1 day). Just line it up, glue... not much "process" to it.

EDIT:Sand. Alot! I mean don't kill the thing just use a very very fine sandpaper and just get it to look all brushed and get the reflective chrome gone. Once it's not mirrored and has a brushed, worn look to it you should be good to paint! I only let my coats dry for about 3-5 minutes between each, plus I did it outside. So it was kind of risky b/c of grass/bugs/dirt etc. but turned out great!

That was something I didn't really focus on, hence why mine chipped early.

Omnipanzer
29th April 2010, 04:24 PM
It looks good I'm impressed/jealous :suprised;

Last_saab_standing
29th April 2010, 09:35 PM
mmm i think i saw that car at the canadian tire in laval near 19/440 in laval...:P is that the one with the saab sticker on the caliper that dosent hold very well??
It looks bad in a good way! Kind of an "RS4" look. I put mine on the trunk...

Any ideas where I could get a second badge besides genuinesaab? The badge is 8,50$ and shipping is 20$!!

Thanks

http://i350.photobucket.com/al***s/q419/kart125/DSC_0688.jpg

kart125
29th April 2010, 11:10 PM
mmm i think i saw that car at the canadian tire in laval near 19/440 in laval...:P is that the one with the saab sticker on the caliper that dosent hold very well??

Yes it could be me as it is close to work... I stop there quite often since I just bought a new house. It's my best bud. I agree that the stickers on the calipers are going away but they held pretty good for almost 2 years! I could have done a much better job if I applied a clear coat over the stickers at the end... well anyways it's a lease and only one year left to go so I will probably not do them again!

dave911
30th April 2010, 05:45 PM
You shoukd post an "how to" since I think a lot of us are interested in trying it.

Yes. Please!! I always thought the grille looked to busy, and blacking it out looks just right. How'd ya do it?? Instructions? Dave911

JLazop3
30th April 2010, 05:49 PM
Yes. Please!! I always thought the grille looked to busy, and blacking it out looks just right. How'd ya do it?? Instructions? Dave911

Don't hate me it's finals week starting Monday @ WVU and I already suck @ college. Maybe in a couple weeks I'll post one with a few pics but I don't wanna actually pop the grille back out because the clips were weak enough as it was.

As far as how to do it scroll up a little bit I had instructions but it's alot easier than you think don't be intimidated

alexdrops
1st May 2010, 02:08 PM

Sand the pieces down, clean, prime, paint and clear coat it; or buy a can of plastidip and u wont really need to sand.

JLazop3
3rd May 2010, 06:19 PM
Sand the pieces down, clean, prime, paint and clear coat it; or buy a can of plastidip and u wont really need to sand.

What's in YOUR grill? lol :)