OFFICIAL SAAB 9-7x SUV SKETCH [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: OFFICIAL SAAB 9-7x SUV SKETCH

MyOwnRoad
25-11-03, 11:14 AM
http://www.vwvortex.com/jamie/9-7x.jpg

Saab Announces Its First SUV: the Saab 9-7X

Continuing the biggest product offensive in its history, Saab Automobile AB is today announcing its latest new model, and its first sport utility vehicle, the 2005 Saab 9-7X. Featuring standard all-wheel-drive and two engine choices, the 9-7X SUV will fill Saab’s need for an entry is this rapidly growing market segment.

The Saab 9-7X will make its world debut at the 2004 New York Auto Show in April 2004, and will go on sale about one year later. Initially, the 9-7X will be produced specifically for the United States and Canadian markets only.

"We are pleased to continue to expand our product line in the very important North American market," comments Peter Augustsson, President and CEO of Saab Automobile AB. "With the Saab

9-X and 9-3X concept vehicles, followed by the award-winning Saab 9-3 Sport Saloon and Convertible, the 9-3 Sport-Hatch concept and the dynamic new 9-2X, we are exceeding our commitment to introduce one new vehicle or concept each year for five years."

"The Saab 9-7X is the perfect addition to our model mix," Augustsson continues. "It allows us to join the growing North American mid-luxury SUV market, one of the fastest growing segments, with a dynamic, premium vehicle."

The new 9-7X will be built at GM’s Moraine Assembly plant in Ohio, beginning in the first quarter of 2005

SPGBOY
25-11-03, 11:20 PM
Honestly, i dont mind this car. It certainly wouldn't be my first choice for Saab and im sure the original owners would be rolling in their graves if they saw this, but it doesnt really hurt my eyes. If Saab is going to be a serious contender in the market i think it needs a bigger audience to gain some respect. The way i see it, if Saab finally makes some money they maybe they will be able to afford some nice cars that have the same time and care in them as the cars they are known for. While the SUV certainly isnt what Saab should be making, maybe this will lead to better things, i certainly wouldnt drive this car but i think it could be a positive note for Saab.

heavy_t
26-11-03, 07:59 AM
Looks like a minibus to me

squishmann
26-11-03, 05:01 PM
HOT

tevid
26-11-03, 05:03 PM
too bad it'll be built in the US

squishmann
26-11-03, 05:08 PM
it's a beast

i see a little Touareg/ FX inspiration there

i'm going to start saving

MyOwnRoad
26-11-03, 08:50 PM

If they are only going to sell this in North America and being the the most important market, why not build it here?

squishmann
26-11-03, 11:44 PM
i think it'll be allright

GM makes good truck. that what all american automakers are good at doing. i just wouldn't want one of the 1st 5 off the truck but it's so damn tempting

the new 9-3 is built in sweden but so far it doesn't seem like it's put together all that well.

will i still buy one? yes.

20Ted
27-11-03, 12:53 AM

If they are only going to sell this in North America and being the the most important market, why not build it here?

...not to mention that it would be silly to take a Trailblazer all the way to Sweden just to get a new nose assembly put on it...(Oh, and those 'size-compensating' Cadillac Escadale rims...)

Draken
27-11-03, 03:46 AM
Awful. Looks like that Saab chief desingner (Mauer) has some good days (9X design for example) and some hangover mondays (like that thing above). Cover the Saab grille and try to find any good design features in that car. I hope that this is only a sketch to first frighten the customers and after that the real design will feel much better no matter what it is like.

squishmann
27-11-03, 09:33 AM
http://auto.consumerguide.com/images/autoreview/lrg/04121471990001LRG.jpg

looks so originial

SPG900
01-12-03, 02:18 PM
Awful. Looks like that Saab chief desingner (Mauer) has some good days (9X design for example) and some hangover mondays (like that thing above). Cover the Saab grille and try to find any good design features in that car.
I have yet to see a bad design from Mauer, and that includes his merc/smart days. Furthermore, he doesn't really do all of the designs himself (design is teamwork). And most importantly, the grille is practically the only thing Saab had to style on this car. How can you judge a brand's head of design on a rebadged car?

Lestat
07-12-03, 03:51 AM
Why not a nice, super-engineered 5 seater ala the X5 or Touareg? :-?

I can't see how that huge thing will resemble things i think about when i think about Saab (acceleration, handling, cosiness, innovative, engineering). :(

fabric
07-12-03, 11:26 AM

You mean a shortened, rebadged Caddy SRX rather than a rebadged Trailblazer?

That would make too much sense.

Draken
09-12-03, 12:15 PM
I have yet to see a bad design from Mauer, and that includes his merc/smart days. Furthermore, he doesn't really do all of the designs himself (design is teamwork). And most importantly, the grille is practically the only thing Saab had to style on this car. How can you judge a brand's head of design on a rebadged car?

Of course designing is teamwork but after all chief has the responsibility for all that team does. One reason for such a dull design could be lack money or time (maybe both). It can be wise not to spend too much time on a rebadging project. On the other hand a good design could make some people believe that it`s a real Saab. This car is supposed to bring some money and not to harm Saab brand too much. If it can do those things it`s fine. I`m not comletely judging him but I wonder if it`s possible to make even rebadges look more unique.

ragtopcav
09-12-03, 08:11 PM

One of the basic tennets of lean manufacturing is to make as near to your core market as possible. I doubt that thing would sell well in Europe so it may as well not be made here.

Lestat
10-12-03, 04:01 AM

You mean a shortened, rebadged Caddy SRX rather than a rebadged Trailblazer? .

YES! The SRX looks great. Giving it a "Saab" look and feel would have been just the car in mind that would be great as a Saab SUV IMO.

Don't like that big thing they sketched :nono;

fabric
10-12-03, 11:54 AM
It seems with maybe a little more money spent, they could have done this with the SRX, and had more than a stopgap SUV.

What then does this say about their "stopgap" SUV? Riiiiiight.
I think we can shoot down that theory.

swdmus
17-12-03, 10:36 PM
I think its going to be alright, dose anyone know what kind of engine is going to be powering this thing?

nyc 363
19-12-03, 02:57 PM
I think its going to be alright, dose anyone know what kind of engine is going to be powering this thing?

I would assume it is the vortec I-6 that powers the trail blazer and the GMC Envoy. It is actually a very nice engine - makes 270 or 275 hp.

20Ted
19-12-03, 04:50 PM
For everyone saying something about the SRX...

Saab HAD a finalized design for their OWN engineered and designed SUV. GM took a look at it and axed it BECAUSE it would have cut into the still-in-design-stages Caddy sales!! And to make matters worse - much of the SRX came from Trollhatten and the Saab SUV... :evil:

goalkeeper21
28-01-04, 03:27 PM
I don't get why you guys would just want to buy a car that is pretty much the same. I don't like Cadi escalade's cause you would buy the same thing at the avalanche just 20 grand more. Yea, throw in wood panelling and the cadi badge you got yourself a sucker car. I think they should model the car after.... THERE CAR! I think enlarge the 9-5 wagon a little and have some interior comforts. Slap on some all wheel drive and a nice V8 engine then you got yourself a great 9-7X. I'll compare this to the Porsche because they went with the trend also. If you look at the car it is like a carrera just enlarged features, and personally I like that better. Yea, not many people like the looks but I would much rather have that then it look like someone else's car. Ok, again I know what your gonna say. They are an independent company and so they don't have a base like GM. You have to go with the trend but still stay within your herritage. GM is bringing saab down the tubes with the 9-2X and now the 9-7X because they are too lazy to build a car that has the saab herritage. The two new cars look like subaru and the trailblazer. I do understand why they are making it in the US, the price will be much higher if they have to ship it from overseas so it will be better to just make them here. I'll stop rambling now
Tony

IrishDrunker16
28-01-04, 10:01 PM
i think this will be an awesome car! 8) SAAB has extended its line of cars/suvs and i think that is smart on their part. it will help them to better understand what the world consumers want. also they can learn from this experience. if it does not go well then they should not make more of these. :idea but i know plenty of people who are very excited about this SAAB SUV comin out. and it is going to be manufactured right here in OHIO! :cheesy: :! i can't wait to see it at the New York Auto Show in April. i don't know what all you guys are complaining about. so what if they took someone else's design. it was a good design and a very successful design at that. now SAAB is going to take that and customize it to give a SAAB feel to it. :evil: dont be a bunch of whiners. :nono; you should be happy....

goalkeeper21
28-01-04, 10:20 PM
I totally agree with you on it being a smart move to actually make an SUV. I just feel that the same car is pointless. I wish that the car was original that is all.
Tony

20Ted
29-01-04, 09:39 AM
... i don't know what all you guys are complaining about. so what if they took someone else's design. it was a good design and a very successful design at that. now SAAB is going to take that and customize it to give a SAAB feel to it. :evil: dont be a bunch of whiners. :nono; you should be happy....

The biggest problem...read my post two up from yours.

I don't think everyone would complain so much IF GM didn't care MORE about their other brands - ie Cadillac...

As for sales possibilities - if you are looking at a vehicle like this, why not buy the real thing. Look at how poor the sales have been on the Isuzu version...

fabric
29-01-04, 10:02 AM
[quote="20Ted"]

The biggest problem...read my post two up from yours.

I don't think everyone would complain so much IF GM didn't care MORE about their other brands - ie Cadillac...

Indeed. Especially if the SRX is based on designs Saab already did.

Ford has appeared to do a much better job of this than GM. The new Focus/Mazda 3/ Volvo S40 trio look nothing alike, and each marque was allowed a fair amount of input and latitude. And apparently the next Ford SUV will be based on the Volvo XC90 platform.

You take the best of what each marque can offer - and then you let them use it too! Saab could have had a kick *** SUV out right now. They have like 5 versions of this SUV, why couldn't they have 2 versions of the SRX? I can't see anybody who is looking at a Caddy would also look at a Saab.

squishmann
31-01-04, 12:26 AM
one of the problems is that it seems as though GM wants Caddi/Saab dealerships. i have two like that in my area. it would have been really sad to see the same SUVs sitting across from each other.

the 9-7X is taking over for the Bravada. it's the cheapest SUV Saab can afford. look for the real deal in 3 or 4 years. it's sad but they have to make money somehow.

they are doing this for the advancement of the NEW 9-5., so they can use better quality materials in the 9-3. so we can get our 9x and our roadster.