How do you get the bolt off under the tire rod end??? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: How do you get the bolt off under the tire rod end???

princeben
16th April 2010, 11:20 PM
I am needing to replace the boot off the tire rod and I can't get the bolt off thats under the tire rod end; it just keeps turning.

Any suggestions???

Steve Corgan
16th April 2010, 11:48 PM
I am needing to replace the boot off the tire rod and I can't get the bolt off thats under the tire rod end; it just keeps turning.

Any suggestions???

Are you referring the the nut on the outer tie rod end? The lock nut on the tie rod? Or the inner tie rod shaft that goes into the steering rack? Please clarify.

princeben
17th April 2010, 12:09 AM
I'm referring to The nut on the outer tie rod end.

I already have the lock nut on the tie rod loosen as the Bentley Manual instructs.

Steve Corgan
17th April 2010, 12:39 AM
So, is the ball type joint in the tie rod end turning in its socket with the nut? Or are the threads stripped on the nut?

Sorry for all the questions but I've never had that problem before. Usually the challenge is getting the tapered part out of its place in the steering yoke arm. Vice grips would almost certainly tear up the rubber boot on the tie rod end. Sorry I can't be of more help.

princeben
17th April 2010, 12:50 AM
Yes, the ball type joint in the tie rod end is turning in its socket with the nut. Don't know if the threads are stripped on the nut.

What you think or you all think I can try?

mmoe
17th April 2010, 02:19 AM
Yes, the ball type joint in the tie rod end is turning in its socket with the nut. Don't know if the threads are stripped on the nut.

What you think or you all think I can try?
Try to clamp the tie rod end to the spindle to apply pressure on the tapered joint. Unless the tapers no longer match, you should be able to stop it from turning by wedging it further into the spindle. Otherwise, it is possible that the tapers have worn against each other due to a loose bolt in which case you will probably need to cut the tierod end bolt off.

TooMany2cvs
17th April 2010, 04:49 AM
Try to clamp the tie rod end to the spindle to apply pressure on the tapered joint.

Yup, that's the best bet. An air wrench is usually a good bet, too - the "rattliness" shocks the nut loose without giving the stud opportunity to rotate.

Sounds like you're going to be replacing the TRE whole, though, not just the boot.

princeben
17th April 2010, 05:00 AM
Is it also possible to cut threw the rubber part of the tire rod end, then clamp the bolt thats turning and then remove the nut that way? Look like that would be easier than cutting the tie rod end bolt off.

Steve Corgan
17th April 2010, 09:37 AM
Is it also possible to cut threw the rubber part of the tire rod end, then clamp the bolt thats turning and then remove the nut that way? Look like that would be easier than cutting the tie rod end bolt off.

Oh well since we're going to sacrifice the tie rod end that leaves multiple viable options open. I'd get the biggest pair of vice grips I can find to hold the top part and then I'd put the oxi-acetyline torch to that nut for a couple of minutes.

If you want to save the end, try Mmoe's idea. Clamp the tie rod end down tight into the steering arm. The shaft is tapered and the tighter you can clamp it the more resistence it will give to help you get the nut off.

c900
17th April 2010, 10:15 AM
I have a set of water pump pliers (Knipex brand) that I use to clamp the tapered tie-rod shaft into the steering member casting so the shaft stays put while I undo the nylock nut.

I use a Hazet # 779 tool to free the tie-rod first though after undoing the nut about 5 or so turns since the shaft will usually not come free. Alternatively, undo the nut several turns then bang the bottom of the shaft with a hammer to pop it free, and use the pliers method to stop the shaft turing while the nut is removed.

Craig.

peva
17th April 2010, 10:20 AM
Doing the nut up again tight to jam the taper again works occasionally, then undoing the nut gently backwards and forwards with plenty of penetrating oil. But I think you're probably past this. Since you will be sacrificing the tie rod end just use an angle grinder to cut through the nut and thread or use a nut splitter. If you have neither of these, drill through a flat of the nut using progressively larger drills until you can separate it.

princeben
17th April 2010, 11:01 AM
Oh well since we're going to sacrifice the tie rod end that leaves multiple viable options open. I'd get the biggest pair of vice grips I can find to hold the top part and then I'd put the oxi-acetyline torch to that nut for a couple of minutes.

If you want to save the end, try Mmoe's idea. Clamp the tie rod end down tight into the steering arm. The shaft is tapered and the tighter you can clamp it the more resistence it will give to help you get the nut off.

Thanks for all the help from everyone, I was actually just able to rock the arm back without any vice grips and the Nut came off.

peva
17th April 2010, 11:07 AM
Lucky. It's never been that easy for me.