93 tuning potential [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 93 tuning potential

RogerD
24th November 2003, 02:55 PM
Hi all, newby here so be gentle.... :)

I'm considering getting a new 93 Aero and am interested in the tuning potential as I currently drive a 280hp Leon Cupra R which as you can imagine is pretty quick (for the US based guys the Leon is based on the Mk4 Golf).

I've looked at Abbott Racing's website but it only gives details of the 230hp chip. They detail a Mitsubishi turbo upgrade but dont give any figures only saying its for the Aero.

Anyone on here had any work done by Abbott? also any general feedback on how the car drives/handles/stops in standard form would be great. Not had a chance to testdrive one yet...

Thanks

Roger 8)

mikej
24th November 2003, 03:35 PM
Welcome

I have a 175bhp Vector and they drive just great :wink:
I have the Saab twin exhaust with up's power to 190bhp.

Have a word with Abbott 9-3 as he has the abbott ECU upgrade, and with coming from a Scobby STI he should be able to answer any questions.

finklejag
24th November 2003, 03:45 PM
Welcome

Check these websites also

Speedparts (www.speedparts.se)

BSR (www.bsrab.se)

Hirsch (http://www.hirsch-performance.ch)

pjku79
12th December 2003, 04:12 PM
Are there any other then Hirsh that are in english?

SS
12th December 2003, 06:20 PM
I do not remember seeing any in english besides Hirsch and Abbott.

sunburn731
13th December 2003, 10:59 PM
I talked to a guy at taliaferro and he was taking about a ppc computer upgrade you can have done to the 9-3ss. Has any one done that to there cars? He told me the 04's ppc will not be availble till early next year. But any one on the earliar models? How much horse power gain? acceleration noticable??
You know all the review on the 9-3 says its underpowered. I think thats true,..its a $30,000 car,.you should get more power than that.....

mav238
14th December 2003, 02:46 AM
I talked to a guy at taliaferro and he was taking about a ppc computer upgrade you can have done to the 9-3ss. Has any one done that to there cars? He told me the 04's ppc will not be availble till early next year. But any one on the earliar models? How much horse power gain? acceleration noticable??
You know all the review on the 9-3 says its underpowered. I think thats true,..its a $30,000 car,.you should get more power than that.....

The PPC system is a pretty interesting option. The good thing about it is that it allows the user to "reload" the factory settings into the ECU. The concern I have with ECU upgrades is that I am not sure how reliable are these software upgrades. I have only heard about this about a year ago. Unless there is already a large base of current users for this system, I wouldn't want to try it on my 9-3 SS.

SS
14th December 2003, 06:17 AM

The PPC system is a pretty interesting option. The good thing about it is that it allows the user to "reload" the factory settings into the ECU. The concern I have with ECU upgrades is that I am not sure how reliable are these software upgrades. I have only heard about this about a year ago. Unless there is already a large base of current users for this system, I wouldn't want to try it on my 9-3 SS.

I mentioned in another thread that one of the administrators on this forum has used the PPC ECU software upgrade from BSR on their 9-5. I asked him, "do you recommend it?" and his answer was close to hell yeah, then i asked him if it caused him any problems, and he said never. So i tell you guys, when its out on the market, im gonna be the first to get it. :wink:

sunburn731
14th December 2003, 03:28 PM
the stock 9-3's are at 210 horses....any one know whats the best clock time any one achieved? Its disappointing that most car magazines rate it a 8 secound car to 60mph.. today a toyota camry can do that easily..
With the ppc tuning do you think the 9-3's can pull a mid 6?
I think stage 1 brings it to like 240 hp...

SS
14th December 2003, 05:50 PM
Yes, stage one is supposed to bring it to about 240hp. And the best clock time i believe was acheived by Car and Driver at 7.3 seconds. The problem with this car is the ratios. Second gear was not able to reach 100km, they had to switch to third, thus bringing the time up to 7.3 seconds. If 2nd gear made 100, i would estimate it at 6.9 seconds. With the PPC ECU upgrade, i think it will start hitting the mid, if not low 6's. I cant wait :cheesy:

loebsta
14th December 2003, 07:36 PM
Welcome

Have a word with Abbott 9-3 as he has the abbott ECU upgrade, and with coming from a Scobby STI he should be able to answer any questions.

Is 190 hp accurate? The Abbott web site has an exhaust that only increased hp by 6 hp. Is it possible that the factory is outperforming the aftermarket?

Saba
14th December 2003, 07:57 PM
Yes, stage one is supposed to bring it to about 240hp. And the best clock time i believe was acheived by Car and Driver at 7.3 seconds. The problem with this car is the ratios. Second gear was not able to reach 100km, they had to switch to third, thus bringing the time up to 7.3 seconds. If 2nd gear made 100, i would estimate it at 6.9 seconds. With the PPC ECU upgrade, i think it will start hitting the mid, if not low 6's. I cant wait :cheesy:It would be interesting to pitch a 5 spd with a 6 spd. I can reach 100km/h in second in my 5sp 2.0t. About 105 in fact @ just over 6000rpm

SS
15th December 2003, 12:42 AM
Definately saba, i was thinking exactly the same, but i dont think the 6 speed would beat the 5 speed AT ALL.

Saba
15th December 2003, 12:48 AM
Welcome

Is 190 hp accurate? The Abbott web site has an exhaust that only increased hp by 6 hp. Is it possible that the factory is outperforming the aftermarket?mikej had his dynoed a few weeks back. Came in a 190bhp. Don't think he had any baseline data though (apart from the supposed 175bhp for the 2.0t). I hope it is true because I have the sports exhaust too. Mine is not that far behind the 2.0T based on my testdrives.