How much does your dealer charge for serpentine belt and tensioner replacement? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: How much does your dealer charge for serpentine belt and tensioner replacement?

f2racer
8th April 2010, 12:44 PM
I need to get this done (would do it myself if not the utter lack of time). How much should a dealer charge for this?

Thanks!

saabassguy
8th April 2010, 12:58 PM
I'm sure it is a standard service item. I would expect $200 or so. Just my thoughts. If you can get another set of hands, you can change the belt in less than 15 minutes. I left the tensioner, which didn't seem to need replacing.

JonV
8th April 2010, 01:04 PM
I'll have to go look, but I think it was 170 or so....

Edit: LOL, I can't go look, my cars still in the shop, the records are in the glovebox... but I do recall under a hundred for the tensioner....

volcomstone2262
8th April 2010, 01:07 PM
I think they wanted round 300 here.

The tensioner itself is almost 100$ + belt + installation.

JMarkert
8th April 2010, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I think the tensioner itself isn't cheap, and it would take some time to get it out. The belt should be a half hour labor plus the cost of the belt.

Chiliman
8th April 2010, 01:51 PM
$293 and change at the dealer I go too.

earthworm
8th April 2010, 02:20 PM
Is this a prime reason for DIY??
The serpentine belt is just a belt,basically.
In my time, $3 to $6 for a drive belt ,installed.
The additions of PS,PB, 500w sub speakers, etc are costly.
The "economical to maintain" automobile is a thing of the past???
The tensioner should last, its the pulley bearings that do not, but I may have 150K on mine, lasting is not a problem.

JMarkert
8th April 2010, 03:14 PM
150K on mine, lasting is not a problem.

That's good to know, much more durable than the ng900. Unfortunately, the pulley/bearing isn't available seperately, you have to buy the whole tensioner.

f2racer
9th April 2010, 10:31 AM
Should I really skip the tensioner? The car just went past 60k miles. I can do the plugs and filters myself (already have a K&N so the air filter will be a clean and re-oil).

Thanks!

JonV
9th April 2010, 10:48 AM
An adjustment might only be in order, I only got a belt and adjustment at 60K, at 102K when I needed an Alternator I had them throw in a new belt and the Tensioner.

JMarkert
9th April 2010, 10:49 AM
IIRC, the tensioner isn't a scheduled maintenance part, so if it's working properly, no need to replace it. You (or the shop) can probably tell if it needs replacing by giving it a spin once the belt is off. If it doesn't wobble or sound bad then there's no need to replace it.

One caveat here, in ng900 land, we got in the habit of replacing the tensioner pulley along with the belt b/c these failed pretty often. All else being equal, I'd do the same for my ss, but you can't buy the pulley/bearing seperately and it's harder to get to so it is much more work. But as earthworm said, we aren't seeing many failures here, so OK to skip, I think.

volcomstone2262
9th April 2010, 11:33 AM
I did both @ 65K

Don't want any "oops moments" I also did my sparks at 50K.

earthworm
9th April 2010, 11:44 AM
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=24430296
The older 900ng owner has a far better selection than the 9-3 owner.
$80 for a 9-3 tensioner assembly, but this may last.
I'd perform an inspection every 6 months(tactile and visual), at least, and I do not think it is hard to do - It helps to have very small or no hands...lol:cheesy:

f2racer
1st June 2010, 07:08 AM
I skipped the tensioner and wound up using sulloj's through the wheel well method (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165788) to change the belt. Wound up being a pretty easy job.

Thanks to all for the help!

93Convi
1st June 2010, 11:21 PM
When I start 2005 9-3 linear conv. it has very hight pitch squealing only when AC is on. And the noise goes away once car is moving. Do I need to replace serpentine chord? How much is it by a dealer?

orion7144
2nd June 2010, 01:11 AM
I used a pry bar from the top and had someone put the belt over it. Took all of 2 min.

I skipped the tensioner and wound up using sulloj's through the wheel well method (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165788) to change the belt. Wound up being a pretty easy job.

Thanks to all for the help!

jaredb03
2nd June 2010, 01:24 AM
When I start 2005 9-3 linear conv. it has very hight pitch squealing only when AC is on. And the noise goes away once car is moving. Do I need to replace serpentine chord? How much is it by a dealer?

Yes that is what mine was doing last week and replaced it over the weekend. Dealer is probably going to charge a little under $100. I did it by myself and it only took me about 20 minutes to do, and was real easy. Just take the air box off and it helps a ton, and you will need a skinny 3/8" drive or a serpentine tool which i think cost about $15. So to do it your self it will cost about $30 and take 20-30 minutes.

Cosmicflash
2nd June 2010, 10:32 AM
Belt is like $22 and 20 minutes labor. I think I was charged .5 hour at $150 and hour so about $100 total. Did not do the tensioner.

f2racer
2nd June 2010, 02:46 PM
I used a pry bar from the top and had someone put the belt over it. Took all of 2 min.

I tried to put it in from the top, but found there was no space (even with the airbox removed)...

f2racer
2nd June 2010, 02:59 PM
Yes that is what mine was doing last week and replaced it over the weekend. Dealer is probably going to charge a little under $100. I did it by myself and it only took me about 20 minutes to do, and was real easy. Just take the air box off and it helps a ton, and you will need a skinny 3/8" drive or a serpentine tool which i think cost about $15. So to do it your self it will cost about $30 and take 20-30 minutes.

No special tool if you go through the wheel well. You can use just about anything thin and approximately 2 feet long to leverage/push the tensioner up. I used a breaker bar but easily could have used a piece of wood or cut down broom stick.

limmerbr
15th June 2010, 10:30 AM
this work is for a regular mechanic. dealers will ruin you.

when it comes to belts, its fairly simple mechanical work.

i just spoke to mine and he will do the belt, oil change, tranny fluid change, and spark plugs all for $350.00

brianl703
15th June 2010, 12:58 PM
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=24430296
The older 900ng owner has a far better selection than the 9-3 owner.
$80 for a 9-3 tensioner assembly, but this may last.
I'd perform an inspection every 6 months(tactile and visual), at least, and I do not think it is hard to do - It helps to have very small or no hands...lol:cheesy:

The 93 tensioner is the same as the one used on the 2.2L Ecotec engines (as used in the Cobalt, Malibu, etc).

RockAuto lists a Gates #38177 tensioner for $53.79. There are 4 others listed, from Goodyear, AC Delco, Dayco, and Four Seasons.

They also sell the pulley separately, a Dayco #89146 is $14.71.