Green algea on convertible roof [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Green algea on convertible roof

manoj
5th April 2010, 08:35 AM
I have tried to clean my convertible roof with shampoo and a soft brush but there is a green tinge of algea in the roof I cannot remove has anyone got any tips or ideas to gid rid of this.

milos
5th April 2010, 08:49 AM
Maybe you should feed it so it couldl provide nice cool sun shield for you during hot summer days :) and it could look like those old English houses with fern on them...
Sorry, could not resist, can not really help with your problem. Algae are usually found in the water and removed with some "algae remover" chemicals, maybe you could try to find out for certain what it is on your car (if it is not algae) and than deal with it.

peva
5th April 2010, 10:40 AM
A lot of people use this stuff. It worked for me; http://www.renovointernational.com/ or you can buy it here; http://www.partsforsaabs.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=renovo&checkbutton=Go

Ragtag
5th April 2010, 07:51 PM
A lot of people use this stuff. It worked for me; http://www.renovointernational.com/ or you can buy it here; http://www.partsforsaabs.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=renovo&checkbutton=Go

Interesting....does the cleaner actually get rid of the algae or does the dye just cover it up?

Last time I did mine,(3 or 4 years ago) I used an Auto Glym kit and it really made a difference but I dont think the algae was as bad then as it is now on mine.

Biggest problem at the moment is getting two consecutive dry days to do the job:(

SteveTheFolkie
5th April 2010, 09:25 PM
a really weak bleach (lots of water to a bit of bleach) should get rid of the life forms - I'd suggest trying it on a bit of roof you normally can't see (just in case the bleach has a ... well ... bleaching effect on the cloth). Aside from that - check an aquarium supply shop for stuff to remove algea from fish tanks :o ... again .. try on a bit of cloth you normally can't see ...

Kandiru
5th April 2010, 09:55 PM
Move to Cote D'Azur, the problem will be gone in a week.

rawill
5th April 2010, 10:20 PM
I would not use bleach.

The only product I would use is a product called "Wet and Forget"

You can buy it here is NZ. If is a product that is very kind to whatever it is sprayed on. It kills the algae spores, and as the rain goes on the surface it keeps working.

It takes a while for it to work. But it does work, I have used it on house walls, concrete paths, the top of caravans.

If you google Wet and Forget in NZ you will find the website.

Here it is:http://www.wetandforget.co.nz/

euromobile900
6th April 2010, 12:55 AM
Move to Cote D'Azur, the problem will be gone in a week.
Eastern Washington works too...

Max Blast
6th April 2010, 01:41 AM
Eastern Washington works too...

Now western washington on the other hand...my cars are overgrown with loam and I found that a mold and mildew remover does the trick.
Bleach might give your top that stonewashed look for that 80's awesomeness.

crwchf01
6th April 2010, 03:49 AM
Find out if the type of algae you have can be converted into a biofuel:cheesy:

supremedalek
6th April 2010, 11:07 AM
Bleach might give your top that stonewashed look for that 80's awesomeness.

or grow the algae into an afro?

manoj
7th April 2010, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the info, read a few of the testamonials for the product, I think a weekend in the garage is due

rawill
7th April 2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the info, read a few of the testamonials for the product, I think a weekend in the garage is due

Which product?

manoj
8th April 2010, 04:37 PM
The Renovo product, it looks like thats the one Saab supply, dont need the plastic window cleaner that comes in the kits. would be good to know if it gets rid of the algae or just put dye over it.

supremedalek
8th April 2010, 05:01 PM
Covering up like my apartment complex spray paints something on the parking lot and claims they had to do asphalt repaving?

GlassGrey
8th April 2010, 06:20 PM
Hmmm... that gives me an idea for a new Chia pet...!! A perfect Christmas gift for SAAB owners! :cheesy:

16saabs
9th April 2010, 04:21 AM
get a good quality hand scrubbing brush and scrub/wash it will bring all the green out, we've had a damp winter ours needs doing too:cheesy:

Dans_t16s
9th April 2010, 06:33 AM
I clean convertible roofs very regularly, and i'd use the Auto Glym Roof Cleaner kit 1st, followed by the Renovo.
Do not use Renovo on its own if you have green algea on the roof, you must clean that off 1st.
The Auto Glym kit is excellent for the money, however a good covering with Renovo afterwards will also be needed.

Dan.

philjohnhb
9th April 2010, 09:15 AM
I clean convertible roofs very regularly, and i'd use the Auto Glym Roof Cleaner kit 1st, followed by the Renovo.
Do not use Renovo on its own if you have green algea on the roof, you must clean that off 1st.
The Auto Glym kit is excellent for the money, however a good covering with Renovo afterwards will also be needed.

Dan.

The renovo cleaner works as well as Autoglym. Agree with Dan, don't just paint over it.