how much boost does it take to trip the SID? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: how much boost does it take to trip the SID?

sidwin
20th November 2003, 12:04 AM
anyone know the answer? I want to put a manual boost controller in the car and want to make sure i keep it under the SID.

Thanks,
Sid

95 Toyota Supra 608 RWHP
03 Saab Linear

WopOnTour
20th November 2003, 03:29 AM
Ahhhh Sidwin- you'll have to clarify your terminology a bit

"trip the SID"?

" ...keep it under the SID"??

Specifically what are you referring to?

Regards
WopOnTour

sidwin
21st November 2003, 03:33 PM
Ahhhh Sidwin- you'll have to clarify your terminology a bit

"trip the SID"?

" ...keep it under the SID"??

Specifically what are you referring to?

Regards
WopOnTour

How about the answer to both WOP? On the Supra it you have to hit 15psi for more than 4 seconds to the SID to come on. What do i have to do exactly to trip the SID....

Thanks,
Sid

WopOnTour
21st November 2003, 10:53 PM
SidWin
I canít help you if you canít clarify exactly what you mean???!!
I still do not recognize your terminology here!!
The SID on your Saab stands for Saab Information Display which is that green display in the top center of your instrument panel. It has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with your turbo. You have a boost gage on your main instrument unit to monitor your boost, so I'm still not sure what SID your Supra has or how it relates (or not) to the Saab 9.3SS
Regards
WopOnTour

finklejag
21st November 2003, 11:29 PM
I'm confused also :-?

mbodo
22nd November 2003, 01:53 AM
Somehow I think sidwin is using terminology from his super high power toyota that may or may not be applicable to our paltry 4-banger SAABs.

Sidwin, you may want to consider spelling out (quite literally) any acronym you're using. A lot of us here in the non JDM arena have no clue as to what the JDM folks call certain parts.

sidwin
22nd November 2003, 01:57 AM
Sorry about that... I Read the manual and it refers the SID as also the CEL (check engine light) How much boost for how long will freak out the stock computer? I want to push the envelope.

next question is how big are these injectors? 440CC and are the side/top fed and high or low impedence. Yes i am trying to get more power out of the thing but trying to do it safely.

Thanks,
Sid

95 Toyota Supra 608rwhp
03 Saab 9-3
www.sidwin.com

Sable
22nd November 2003, 10:37 AM
Good god...is that 600 horsepower you have on your Supra? :o :o

sidwin
27th November 2003, 12:44 AM
yes it is my 6XX RWHP supra in my sig. Had the car since 98 and put down 608 on stock cam and smaller turbo. Since then i have put in more agressive cams and a bigger turbo. www.sidwin.com/supra.htm is the write up if u want to read up about it.

THanks,
Sid

sidwin
27th November 2003, 12:44 AM
yes it is my 6XX RWHP supra in my sig. Had the car since 98 and put down 608 on stock cam and smaller turbo. Since then i have put in more agressive cams and a bigger turbo. www.sidwin.com/supra.htm is the write up if u want to read up about it.

THanks,
Sid

Laser Red Turbo
5th December 2003, 12:32 PM
To trip the check engine it is 15.5 psi but u also hit fuel cut off and man that crap is annoying. but the check engine wont come on automatically.. u have to max boost a couple times.. i think it was like 10 or 11 on mine to get that nice check engine.

RED
5th December 2003, 01:07 PM
Ha! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love it! He's ticked because the engine refuses to damage itself! Gotta love that street 'tude.

Boost is like NOx; addictive and it will warp your reality. Makes you believe that all oem engineers are idiots who don't know how to hot up an engine. HA! For every street tuner that properly preps an engine to handle the higher boost, there are 100 poseurs with holes in their pistons.

Laser Red Turbo
5th December 2003, 09:43 PM
screw you, im preping my engine.. ive only hit fuel cut off once and it was by accident. just cuz it annoys me doesnt mean i dont know what im doing with my car "red".

RED
6th December 2003, 02:26 PM
Many apologies, truly, but you provided such a distorted picture of your expertise; I could hardly believe otherwise from your original post, now could I? So I jumped to conclusions. Not a good thing.

I certainly had no indication that these multiple full load runs were actually being done while collecting data with engine mapping software. Getting that combustion chamber data is the key to safely dialing up the boost, of course. What software are you using? Were these dyno runs, or do you prefer instrumented track/street mapping? I have been "out of the loop" on this sort of thing for about 4 years now, and there are more than a few new toys I would really like to get some first hand feedback about.

I have yet to look into the strength and heat stress issues of the engine, head gasket, valves and pistons. How much power production can they handle without upgrading components? Hirsh has published very little so far, so any information you can provide will be very interesting to everyone in the "mods" area of this board!

Meanwhile, best regards to a fellow owner of a Laser Red 9-3!

Laser Red Turbo
6th December 2003, 03:36 PM
i was running maptune software which didnt work too good, so i tried speedparts, awesome software. .then i switched to a custom computer which a friend of mine made copying the old computer on his laptop then changing stuff.. i dont know how he did it. the kids a genius, i had 3" turbo back custom exhaust, 3" intake. stock pistons, pulleys,etc, i was using a dual stage turboXs boost controller, i ran 38 pounds of boost in 3rd gear 10 -12 in 1st and 2nd.. speedparts for someone who doesnt want to use an mbc or digital boost controller is very good. the dyno i ran at U of M with 3 pulls with the boost up and boost down.. the engine took 36 Lbs of boost.. it was beast.. although ive heard of a car taking 50.75 Lbs of boost. this was all on my 1999 9-3 lpt engine.. also i upgraded to race intercooler .. stock engine will be fine with 21 lbs .

RED
7th December 2003, 01:05 AM
Do you have any data on the new (2003/2004) engine? That is the one I (and I know many others too) ar verrry interested in getting data about.

Laser Red Turbo
7th December 2003, 01:07 AM
Sorry man, havent had a chance to mess with it. .havent even tried.. im looking into getting one of the 04 convertibles so i will post if i get one.Is this your first saab?

Laser Red Turbo
7th December 2003, 01:09 AM
O i do know that those are the newest t7 engines. .which are too smart for their own good. the only thing you can do for peformance is computer. Check out genuinesaab.com.

RED
7th December 2003, 01:56 AM
I've checked them too. Not much yet; no surprise, since the engine has only been out just about a year.

Yea, my first SAAB. It's my street stocker 'till the warranty runs out, then ??? My current "other turbo" is an '86 Mustang SVO, which I have had for 6 years. Simply awesome even today, and one of the most enjoyable canyon carvers ever built. Way ahead of its time. Much easier engine management to modify than todays cars >> 205hp stock, mine is (mostly!) stock and runs 225hp, 265hp is easy with no internal mods, and 412hp / 420ft/lbs torque is documented and published. Not too shabby for an all-iron 2.3 liter sohc. But it is the Alfa Romeo like handling that really sets the car apart from almost all other american cars.

The SVO (and the Alfa) are RED too!

Just a heads up - the '03/'04 is the engine this forum (9-3 SS) is all about. But still, your post was interesting reading.

Laser Red Turbo
8th December 2003, 07:12 PM
o, by the way i have heard of the stock engine running 50.75 psi

mbodo
8th December 2003, 07:38 PM
o, by the way i have heard of the stock engine running 50.75 psi

.. for how many seconds before it completely melted? :cheesy:

50.75PSI .. MAN ..

Laser Red Turbo
8th December 2003, 07:40 PM
i dont know it was a pikes peak saab.. it took it through the whole video

mbodo
8th December 2003, 08:21 PM
i dont know it was a pikes peak saab.. it took it through the whole video

At the risk of going OT,

Why do I recall the PP Saab being RWD?? [edit] n/m, found out it was AWD. Crazy.

RED
9th December 2003, 12:45 AM
Why so high? I would certainly not expect the stock engine to be able to effectively use between 2.3 and 3.5 bar, because the flow rate would be long since maxed out. Power would increase by a tiny fraction of the increase in boost at such pressures, and require the use of really massive charge cooling. Not to mention the heat stress already alluded to, and the time required for such a large turbine to spool.

Well, I'm not the one doing the tests, and something is missing for me here. I add the 2+2 I read in your posts and I keep getting 5, it's that different from my experience ... Care to go into more detail so my numbers come out right?

Laser Red Turbo
10th December 2003, 10:58 AM
dude, pikes peak wasnt a test. its just what they do.Those cars are monsters all those cars can take what they throw at them. BTW> does anyone have a link for that video?

nestoraero
11th December 2003, 09:46 AM
dude, pikes peak wasnt a test. its just what they do.Those cars are monsters all those cars can take what they throw at them. BTW> does anyone have a link for that video?

Search for it inKazaa....
I've dowloaded it already.... :D

sidwin
17th December 2003, 06:01 PM
50.75 pounds??? WTF sounds like BS if u ask me. Someone mentioned that the pistons on a 9-3 is 10:1. If that is the case u would need 130 octane fuel to prevent detonation.

Can someone tell me if the 9-3 stock uses a MAP or MAF sensor? I am thinking the check engine light probably is triggered at 1 bar 14.22 psi probably since most oem sensors are 2 bar sensor and some come in 3, 3.5 and 5 bar.

Good luck,
Sid