how much boost is stock on an 03 SS 2.0 [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: how much boost is stock on an 03 SS 2.0

sidwin
20th November 2003, 01:03 AM
Just wondering what the max boost that comes from the factory is. I was thinking of putting in a manual boost controller. Anyone has any directions or drawings on how to do that? I saw the turbo and was trying to look at the wastegate.

Thanks,
Sid

95 Toyota Supra 608 RWHP
03 Saab 9-3 Linear

WopOnTour
20th November 2003, 04:57 AM
A manual boost controller is not an easy mod as the wastegate is electronically controlled by the T8 electronics. There ARE people that have successfully "tricked" it but I don't have any specific details for you.

The amount of boost on the 175HP 2003 Linear (B207L with Garrett 2052S) is officially listed as only 0.4 bar (6psi) however that is the pressure when the wastegate "just" begins to open. The wastegate link rod IS adjustable however overboost conditions are controlled by the T8 system so without some sort of "trick" electronics mod or recalibrated t8 controller it will just shut down the fuel if you attempt to over-boost it.

Regards
WopOnTour

BTW> There are drag race versions of this same engine making HP - DOUBLE that of your Supra :cheesy:

SS
20th November 2003, 09:55 PM
Would anyone be able to tell me how much bar is there on the 2.0T (210hp) ?

Vector-SS
20th November 2003, 10:00 PM
I believe i read somewhere that it has 0.85 Bar

SS
20th November 2003, 10:05 PM
Thank you vector-ss!!!

mbodo
21st November 2003, 12:12 AM
BTW> There are drag race versions of this same engine making HP - DOUBLE that of your Supra :cheesy:

.. and the turbo is the size of a grown man's noggin. That was the ecotec caviliar, wasn't it?

kopfschuh
21st November 2003, 01:14 AM
Vaguely along these lines. . .

My turbo still won't go all the way into the red. Not that I'm particularly bothered or feeling a lack of pull, but it is supposed to, right? If so, any ideas on why this might be or what I could do to change it?

Many thanks guys.

Saba
21st November 2003, 01:32 AM
Vaguely along these lines. . .

My turbo still won't go all the way into the red. Not that I'm particularly bothered or feeling a lack of pull, but it is supposed to, right? If so, any ideas on why this might be or what I could do to change it?

Many thanks guys.I don't think it is. You have problems if it does (I think)

nestoraero
21st November 2003, 10:31 AM
It is not supposed to go all the way.
If it goes it means trouble and the T8 will go on something like "safe mode".Please correct me if I'm wrong.

About the turbo boost.
0.85 is the overboost or the steady boost?
And if it is the steady,how much is the overboost?
Anybody?????

keineturbo
21st November 2003, 02:53 PM
I dunno if the new Saabs are the same, but on old turbos, if you have very very high octane gasoline and the engine is under high load, it will go in there for brief periods. It is rare to see this and not a bad thing. If it goes into the red all the time, and you feel power loss, something's wrong-a-rooni.

kopfschuh
21st November 2003, 03:41 PM
excellent, thanks guys. 8)

sidwin
21st November 2003, 04:30 PM

yeah there sure are :) But how many of them have 85k on them with stock bottom end, head, drive train -cams and springs?? :)

Hopefully I can squeeze another year out of this motor before i kick it up a notch :)

Sid

55spy
21st November 2003, 11:19 PM
my sept 02 linear used to put the turbo 2 bars into the red on occassion, and one bar into the red fairly often if driven hard but since the ECU fried and was replcesd and flashed with the new software it seems deathly afraid of the red nad does not drive at all like it used to. I would not have bought the car if it drove this way. I want my boost back!!!!!!!!!!!

PS even the Saab tech says they scaled back the boost on the LPT saabs for very late model 03 and 04.

sidwin
27th November 2003, 01:47 AM
even at 40F outside i've only gotten it to touch the bottom of the red bar. I have a boost gauge lying around my house somewhere that i will put in just to see what the average is and I'll post it for u all soon. I didn't want to do anything before i took the car on a road trip. The air filter was a fun little mod. My wife doesn't like it much but who cares what she thinks... j/k

black_linear
16th December 2003, 12:46 PM
On my old 9000CSE-T, the engine was alowed to overboost. However, it was only for short amounts of time. It would surge into the red, and then out when held on full throttle. This does not happen on my Linear. I was quite disappointed when I couldn't boost into the red, since I was used to it. But I have no complaints, this engine has no lag! The old 9k had a two count before the boost hit.

RED
16th December 2003, 01:55 PM
Hey Guys, this is an easy fix - just pop out the gauge cluster and paint the next couple of bars red :cheesy: Now look! Your out there, totally extreme! 8)

Now really, how accurate do you suppose this boost gauge is? :o Yea, it will give you a good idea of relative performance one day to the next, but does anyone see any calibration numbers on the face? :o So you probably cannot use it to compare one car to another, right? 55spy can see and feel the difference when changes were made, but how many of us are worrying about a non-issue because some people seem to see higher boost than others? Hmmm?

If you want to know if the car is producing all it should be, take it to a performance oriented independent shop (or an especially cool dealer) and find out.

03_Saab 9-3
16th December 2003, 04:02 PM
I definately would like a true boost guage in this car i think it would be wild, only thing is finding a good place for it, cant use the A? pillar cuz if it were to go off in an accident you would have a guage flying out somehwere at 100mph. But yeh a true boost guage would be sweet, wonder if its a fairly easy mod to hookup?

Oh and check these clips out, sick GTI runin 17lbs of boost, it got no bites in the lounge so here:

(prob best to right click and "Save Targe As")
:First Pass:
http://vw.c3cars.com/CFJFiles/C3Cars/7217.wmv

:Second Pass:
http://vw.c3cars.com/CFJFiles/C3Cars/7222.wmv

CallipNCSUsaab
18th December 2003, 12:43 PM
I am ignorant to turbos...

210Hp is .85 bars you say? Okay, so what is that in PSI? Guessing like 12-14 PSI??

I went and looked at the new EVO yesterday... think it was like 19 max psi.. sweeeeeeet

epsilon93
18th December 2003, 09:28 PM
I am ignorant to turbos...

210Hp is .85 bars you say? Okay, so what is that in PSI? Guessing like 12-14 PSI??

1 Bar = 14.5 psi
0.85 Bar = 12.325 psi :cheesy:

CallipNCSUsaab
25th December 2003, 03:39 PM
hmm.. seems kinda low doesnt it??

veritas137
15th January 2004, 10:48 PM
Uhh heh, mine goes into the red pretty much every time I romp on it. Only performance mod is a JR dropin filter. The turbo is pretty loud also for only the minor mod. :D

Tim

jspeed
18th January 2004, 03:19 AM
I definately would like a true boost guage in this car i think it would be wild, only thing is finding a good place for it, cant use the A? pillar cuz if it were to go off in an accident you would have a guage flying out somehwere at 100mph. But yeh a true boost guage would be sweet, wonder if its a fairly easy mod to hookup?

Oh and check these clips out, sick GTI runin 17lbs of boost, it got no bites in the lounge so here:

(prob best to right click and "Save Targe As")
:First Pass:
http://vw.c3cars.com/CFJFiles/C3Cars/7217.wmv

:Second Pass:
http://vw.c3cars.com/CFJFiles/C3Cars/7222.wmv

GTI’s are cool, I just totaled my 2000 Passat 1.8T with a upgraded K04 (was K03 sport) and GIAC software. It was rated at 1.3 bar (aprox) while holding 16psi at lowest drop and would spike out at 21psi with the optimal weather, fuel and altitude conditions. It also had a cold air intake, larger injectors and smaller engine mods. I think I even have a picture of this someware. I belive stock was at 6psi.