just installed the JR filter... [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: just installed the JR filter...

Cojoroh
18th November 2003, 06:07 PM
first of all, i wonder about the long term effects of the filter...the holes in the filter were so big you could practically see right through it. after installing it, i drove around with my windows open and i couldn't notice much of a difference, but after closing my windows, you can REALLY hear the sucking sound right through the dash.

Cojoroh
18th November 2003, 06:08 PM
also, the instructions were not in english...which side are you supposed to oil the filter?

Saabster93
18th November 2003, 06:24 PM
Cojoroh,

Any difference in pick up/power?

mav238
18th November 2003, 06:56 PM
first of all, i wonder about the long term effects of the filter...the holes in the filter were so big you could practically see right through it. after installing it, i drove around with my windows open and i couldn't notice much of a difference, but after closing my windows, you can REALLY hear the sucking sound right through the dash.

These filters employ the oil to trap the particulates, and initially, the trapping efficiency is not quite >90% (est.) but it builds up towards >95% as more and more particulates are trapped in the oil. The big holes are why the flowrates are so much better than paper filters.

mav238
18th November 2003, 07:46 PM
Cojoroh,

Drop-in highflow filters do not generate any noticeable power increase, no matter what aftermarket filter makers may claim. More air does not automatically mean increase in power. The ECU must be reprogrammed to "make use" of the new increase in air flow intake, and this increase must be a substantial increase, like those where the original restrictive factory airbox is removed and replaced with the open cone filters. Also, with all that air coming through, the exhaust system must be "tuned" to the new intake and ECU to really generate the power increase.

Drop-in high flow filters does produce a better throttle response, that is, a faster pick-up, stab on the accelerator and feel the car respond quicker. NOT power increase...

mav238
18th November 2003, 07:48 PM
Cojoroh,

Drop-in highflow filters do not generate any noticeable power increase, no matter what aftermarket filter makers may claim. More air does not automatically mean increase in power. The ECU must be reprogrammed to "make use" of the new increase in air flow intake, and this increase must be a substantial increase, like those where the original restrictive factory airbox is removed and replaced with the open cone filters. Also, with all that air coming through, the exhaust system must be "tuned" to the new intake and ECU to really generate the power increase.

Drop-in high flow filters does produce a better throttle response, that is, a faster pick-up, stab on the accelerator and feel the car respond quicker. NOT power increase...

Forgot to add that with drop-in filters, may experience better fuel economy in some car engines.

barrylieberman
18th November 2003, 07:53 PM
Just got mine in the mail today...guess I'll wait until morning to put it in.

BL

sjhudon
18th November 2003, 08:02 PM
Just got mine in the mail today...guess I'll wait until morning to put it in.

BL

I've had mine for a couple weeks now, i love it as long as you don't have the illusions that is gonna get some great mod. It does add a nice sound to the intake, and prehaps is a little quicker on the foot. But hey its 50 bucks what do you want? All in all, a good buy! :D

Saabster93
18th November 2003, 08:09 PM
Thanks for educating me. Have you noticed an increase in MPG?

sjhudon
18th November 2003, 08:17 PM
Maybe slightly, but its hard to tell since I was in the process of breaking the engine in at the time and that was more responsible for the increase. But i'd suspect it might increase the mpg by a couple.

Saabster93
18th November 2003, 08:21 PM
Last question, my friend. IS there a difference between the ITG and JR filters, or do they both have pretty much the same function. Also, where did you get yours from?

sjhudon
18th November 2003, 08:27 PM
Last question, my friend. IS there a difference between the ITG and JR filters, or do they both have pretty much the same function. Also, where did you get yours from?

I think its mostly personal preference, however the ITG just became availible for shipping this week so I haven't heard anything 1st hand yet. I may consider buying an ITG if I hear rave reviews on here but, I think its fairly safe to side on the idea that they are just about the same. and I ordered mine from

http://www.genuinesaab.com/detail.asp?Product_id=JRSportfilter

Cojoroh
18th November 2003, 09:04 PM
i know the bigger holes are the reason for the higher flow rates, but what do ya'll think about the long term effects of the engine? i'm just a little uneasy thinking that some particles of grit/sand will go through the filter whereas the stock filter looks like it would stop virtually everything. also, i originally oiled the top side of the filter, but thought i should have applied it on the bottom side instead...so i did. any harm in having too much oil on the filter since i did it twice?

finklejag
18th November 2003, 09:22 PM
You shouldn't oil the filter to begin with. The filter comes pre-oiled from the factory. You don't need to oil it more. Oil should only go on the lower side anyway. This is the inlet side. Hope your MAF doesn't blow when it gets clogged up with oil :nono;

If you are not familar with these types a products. You should ask before you installed it.

This should be in the Tuning forum by the way. :wink:

Cojoroh
18th November 2003, 10:04 PM
:x ! why didn't the filter come with instructions! i ran a white paper towel along the output of the air filter box and didn't come up with any blue oil, so i think the MAF should be ok. now i'm having to clean and re-apply the oil. some proper instructions would have saved me half a bottle of cleaning solution and oil.

finklejag
18th November 2003, 10:19 PM
The filter is made in France. End of subject 8)

barrylieberman
19th November 2003, 04:35 PM
Put mine in this morning...sounds great!! I think there is a little more initial acceleration, especially for 50$!!

mav238
21st November 2003, 10:52 PM
Put mine in this morning...sounds great!! I think there is a little more initial acceleration, especially for 50$!!

I have put about 200km on the new highflow filter now, and still do not seem to feel any power increase or increase pull. Only hear the whooshing air suction sound during acceleration. Maybe the ECU will need time "learn" how to adapt to the increase airflow.