Collection of 9-2 Pictures [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Collection of 9-2 Pictures

enobar
18th November 2003, 12:26 AM
I thought i'd repost the back end of the 9-2 since th last thread was lost in the server crash. If you've got other 9-2 pics, add them to the thread.
http://users.bigpond.net.au/enobar/saab/92back1.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/enobar/saab/92back2.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/enobar/saab/92front1.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/enobar/saab/92front2.jpg

sethsev7n
18th November 2003, 03:48 AM
where did that second picture come from?

enobar
18th November 2003, 04:50 AM
i thought they all came from here, but i may have pinched them from another forum

garry
18th November 2003, 07:34 AM
Oh dear.... Did you have to remind us of how ugly its going to be :roll:

Saba
18th November 2003, 08:07 AM
Doesn't look a bit like a Saab, but sure as hell looks a LOT like a Subaru. Oh well, I'm not buying one so it doesn't really matter. I won't lose any sleep if Saab comes out with this. There are more important things to worry about. :D But I couldn't imagine seeing BMW or Audi come out with a rebadged Jap car. Why? Because its not good for the image. Something Saab always pushes too.

slypperypete
18th November 2003, 08:16 AM
I'd rather buy a VW GTi or Audi A3 if it makes it to the states...of course they are pretty much the same car. But at least VW isn't owned by a design corrupting American car manufacturer. Why can't American car companies let their designers design the cars instead of having committees messing it all up. Being a art student I know there isn't a shortage of talent, my friends in Industrial Design have some amazing designs...alas Ford and GM will continue to muss up everything.

garry
18th November 2003, 09:03 AM
Odly enough America used to lead the world in automotive and industrial design in general from the 20's to the 60's ...

American industrial design influence has been virtually non existant opon europe from the 80's onwards.
With the exception of the Dodge Viper US automotive design is a vast expanse of bland shapes when viewed from this side of the pond. The Viper has more in common with the 60's UK AC in a retro style however than appearing a fresh design.

American industrial design was hailed for its artistry .... this in my opinion made American industrial design so important as looks counted for everything regardless of cost or practicality.

It would be great to see an American company like GM take a stance in the motor world and go back to the roots of American industrial design, buck the trend and design from the heart again.

the Sub-2 ???? ...who cares. Go out and buy a proper one from Subaru. At least it will fit its own image better.

ellroy2
18th November 2003, 12:06 PM
I don't know why you all care about image so much. We'll all be driving electric shoe boxes in a few years aways. And in case you haven't noticed, there are no companies with their own image anymore. Every company only cares about one thing-making money. And that's including Slaab. Saab hasn't done too many great things in their history, but Subaru has. So maybe Saab is staring to come to their senses. It's about time Saab started looking out for their future and coming up with something for a younger generation.

AudiSAABfans
18th November 2003, 12:07 PM
These pics just a prove that GM still continues to mismanage their most prestigous worldwide brand by rebadging a car that doesn't fit its image. :roll:

sethsev7n
18th November 2003, 03:10 PM
-ellroy2.. saab was never behind with their cars when it came to sport utility, luxury, and performance.. they had all of that. GM is taking away from saab what its heritage is all about, creating cars taht are different from everyone else. As soon as i see one of those ugly things on the road im gonna get some window chalk and write subaru on it hah

garry
18th November 2003, 03:36 PM
Saab hasn't done too many great things in their history, but Subaru has.

safety on cars (cars used to be unsafe;)
Turbo's on production cars
perfecting turbocharging (all Turbo's manufactured require a royalty payment to SAAB 'including those used in subaroo')
,perfected 'how to rally' , until SAAB arrived cars diddnt go sideways :)

refresh my memory, what has subaroo acheived?.. Audi perfected 4WD and Lancia built the fastest rally car ever...and the subaru?

Henri
18th November 2003, 05:44 PM
Looks a bit like the Lexus IS 300 sportcross too :o . Hope this will be a better comparison

Nairda
18th November 2003, 09:20 PM
Ellroy 2 suggested car companies are in it for the money,
what a concept! If Saab really wanted to bring home the bacon
they'd scrap 4cyl turbos for a pushrod V6, get rid of that silly ignition
between the seats & go cheap on design & safety.
They would make GM shareholders cream their pants with
all the money saved on substandard engineering.
Seriously, Saab never really cared about the mainstream,
they were way ahead of that, all they wanted
was enough money to make the next car which had
to be unique compared to the others. Go your own road was
their slogan & it sold for a while, then languished with
dated product. Now they're back, but they found a state of
equilibrium which will bring in new folks & keep the old.

AudiSAABfans
18th November 2003, 09:34 PM
Ventliated seats
Cold weather package standard or optional on most cars these days were invented by SAAB (heated seats, headlight wipers)
Active head restraits
Assymetrical turbocharging on 3.0t previously used in 9-5 Arc
Center hip driving position for more driving thrills
Rotary knob climate control (while most cars used crumsy sliding design, SAAB invented a more logical and classier approach back in 80s)

Now, let's see if Subaru had enough innovations invented that had beaten SAAB. :roll: :roll:

squishmann
19th November 2003, 11:00 AM
it's got a little 04 Jetta goin on in the raillights

stew
20th November 2003, 02:01 PM
I've said it once and I'll say it again - bring back the 99 turbo! A small entry level SAAB which goes like stink! Two doors, practical, plenty of boot space, ahead of its time and SAAB to the bone! A modern, compact SAAB wearing the 99t badge would put SAAB back in mix with smaller cars in an instant. Rally it, promote it - just bl**dy build it!!

Old Man Saab
20th November 2003, 02:05 PM
I dunno...I kinda dig it. Maybe it's the chunky rear bumper that I like. Would I buy one? Probably not...maybe the 2nd gen 9-2 would appeal to me a little more.

RED
20th November 2003, 08:51 PM
I think the real issue is this: has GM done this on the cheap?

In other words, will it look and feel like a SAAB, or like a cobbled together product that does no credit to SAAB or Subaru? Alfa Romeo once faced just this issue with the (egads! - front wheel drive) 164, a car Alfa traditionalists were ready to scorn. Didn't happen. The 164 was a very good Alfa Romeo: looked like one, felt like one, drove like one.

Need I remind anyone why this car was so controversial? The other Marques that shared that platform? Marques known for excellent cars, but a very different excellence than that which mattered to the Alfa Loyalists?

Yes, one of them was SAAB.

But the 164 was "done right" for the Alfa Market, and it was a success. It was not a SAAB, it just shared parts with one. It was an Alfa Romeo.

The SAAB 9-2 might be a great SAAB, both despite and BECAUSE of Subaru parts: or it might not be a SAAB at all.

I'll make up my mind when it actually appears. I leave to others the silly task of making up their minds with only preconceived notions.

MonkeyMan
20th November 2003, 09:16 PM
That rear corner shot looks JUST like an impreza wagon.

Why????

BEN

Saba
20th November 2003, 10:15 PM
That rear corner shot looks JUST like an impreza wagon.

Why????

BENerr.. because it IS an Imprezza wagon!

ALLEN-JACKSON
21st November 2003, 03:03 PM
well....at least the wheels are kind of nice(hmmmmm i wondr if they would fit my 92 cab?)

hanihadi
21st November 2003, 04:56 PM
stop whining all of you guys ....

I love the looks of this car. I've never bought a Saab before but have been waiting over a year to buy this car. So if Saab's goal is to get first time buyers like me into their showrooms, it may be succeeding.

garry
21st November 2003, 08:07 PM
stop whining all of you guys ....

I love the looks of this car. I've never bought a Saab before but have been waiting over a year to buy this car. So if Saab's goal is to get first time buyers like me into their showrooms, it may be succeeding.

So, whats wrong with the WRX then? Why not buy that, its available now, rally tested and looks just like the 9-2 *shrug*

hanihadi
22nd November 2003, 02:03 AM
The reason why I am holding off is because Saab will likely put more emphasis on safey - side air bags for instance on base 9-2, something impreza does not offer. Also, I expect that the 9-2 interior will be better than the impreza interior.

WASAAB
23rd November 2003, 04:14 AM
I would never buy an WRX wagon..so does Saab 9-2..
Wait until saab 9-7 comes out.. :oops:

greenphotos
28th November 2003, 06:16 PM
Saab hasn't done too many great things in their history, but Subaru has.

safety on cars (cars used to be unsafe;)
Turbo's on production cars
perfecting turbocharging (all Turbo's manufactured require a royalty payment to SAAB 'including those used in subaroo')
,perfected 'how to rally' , until SAAB arrived cars diddnt go sideways :)

refresh my memory, what has subaroo acheived?.. Audi perfected 4WD and Lancia built the fastest rally car ever...and the subaru?

Ha ha, I was about to get all streesed out too but then found you had answered the post for me. 8)

Mark
:cheesy:

deniss
30th November 2003, 12:48 AM
This Saabaru doesn't do it for me. It's a re-dressed WRX. Rather sad, actually. Since it's built by Subaru, I think it's about 70% Subaru, about 20% GM, and about 10% Saab. Hard to believe Saab let Subaru build this car. It may be "affordable", but you have to think about what you're getting.

m750
30th November 2003, 05:28 PM
I'm not aware of any GM parts in the car, I think that'd be a first for a subaru.

deniss
30th November 2003, 09:58 PM
i am not sure about GM parts - i was just being sarcastic.

zingZACH
2nd December 2003, 02:24 AM
Is it just me or does that gas door look extremely squared and big compared to previous saab gas doors?

AudiSAABfans
2nd December 2003, 01:00 PM
Because its a Subaru door lock. :x

sethsev7n
2nd December 2003, 01:13 PM
suprise ! :D

zingZACH
2nd December 2003, 01:45 PM
The photos cant be official... notice the first one... where is the hood scoop?! :roll:

garry
2nd December 2003, 02:05 PM
The photos cant be official... notice the first one... where is the hood scoop?! :roll:

Thats what I have been suggesting. I agree with you.

I mean.... come on! .....that 9-2 suyx. Its got to be a diversionary image to foil the competition.

with any luck :roll:

nandanrp
3rd December 2003, 02:36 AM

The 2.0L H4 Turbo needs the hood scoop because it feeds the intercooler...the first picture could be the 2.5L H4, which is N.A. (doesn't need the scoop because there is no intercooler! :wink: ).

2.0L H4 Turbo: 227 HP - 9-2X Aero
2.5L H4: 165 HP - 9-2X Arc or Linear or whatever they call it.

So those of you whining about the hood scoop can opt for the weaker engine and have a bit more "Saabiness," if the production 2.5L does indeed get rid of the scoop. And if you get the weaker engine, you don't have to worry about the back end looking like a Subaru, because the only person that will see taillights is you! :P

garry
3rd December 2003, 05:34 AM
With any luck SAAB will find a less primal way to get air to the intercooler than using a ugly bug catcher.

heavy_t
3rd December 2003, 06:45 AM
Rotary knob climate control (while most cars used crumsy sliding design, SAAB invented a more logical and classier approach back in 80s)

In the seventies even! My 1973 has rotary-knob heater controls.

serrano
3rd December 2003, 04:41 PM
Looks just like my WRX wagon from the rear and side :P Imo black is a better color for that wagon shape, which is why I didn't get silver...

And what's the problem with a hood scoop? It feeds the intercooler... it's functional kids...

nandanrp
4th December 2003, 03:18 PM
With any luck SAAB will find a less primal way to get air to the intercooler than using a ugly bug catcher.

:lol: How about a nice, big front mount, that would look really good right :P

At least they used the smaller scoop (old Legacy style, kind of swept back) as opposed to the new Imprezas that have scoops that rake forward...In either case, I'll take the scoop if it gets me a turbo 8)

alexa
4th December 2003, 06:42 PM

garry
4th December 2003, 07:03 PM

m750
5th December 2003, 02:47 PM
Hey!...proof is anyone was ever in doubt'!

GM have got it wrong....the 9-3 IS attracting potential Subauru buyers and not SAAB customers.....

Which means.... Subaru sales will drop as half of the potential WRX buyers will be opting for the 9-2.

Which brand is GM trying to wipe out?....Subaru or SAAB ? ....Jokes aside, surely its a BAD car for both company's

I don't think subaru is loosing all that many Cu's to saab's 9-3. You have to remember most buy for the drivetrain _ALL_ current subarus have awd, I know it's the only reason I'm considering a 9-2.

garry
5th December 2003, 05:36 PM
Hey!...proof is anyone was ever in doubt'!

GM have got it wrong....the 9-3 IS attracting potential Subauru buyers and not SAAB customers.....

Which means.... Subaru sales will drop as half of the potential WRX buyers will be opting for the 9-2.

Which brand is GM trying to wipe out?....Subaru or SAAB ? ....Jokes aside, surely its a BAD car for both company's

I don't think subaru is loosing all that many Cu's to saab's 9-3. You have to remember most buy for the drivetrain _ALL_ current subarus have awd, I know it's the only reason I'm considering a 9-2.

For sure!!!! ..... Completely differing markets until now!

Only question will be which company will be damaged the most :(

WRXURV8
6th December 2003, 10:18 AM
I love the 9-2 Design. Then again I have had two bug-eyed Subarus and loved them also. Say what you want about the design.....if the 9-2 is half as fun as a WRX wagon, all the Saab purists won't know what hit them. The looks won't matter.