Filters [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Filters

vector93
17-11-03, 01:58 PM
Has anyone in the US ordered the ITG filter yet? If you did how much was it and do you like it so far?

moz
17-11-03, 02:01 PM
Ordered it, think it was $64 shipped. Should be here in a few days - I'll post a report when it arrives.

vector93
17-11-03, 02:02 PM
Where did you order it from?

moz
17-11-03, 02:03 PM
http://www.ultimatecarparts.com/

mav238
21-11-03, 01:07 AM

Well, just installed my highflow filter and as most people with the mod indicated, there is quite a bit of "sucking air" sound when the engine is pushed pass 2500 rpm, and when in cruising, no sound from the airfilter. Only put a couple of kms on it, will provide further update when the engine settles down with the filter.

mav238
21-11-03, 01:27 AM

Well, just installed my highflow filter and as most people with the mod indicated, there is quite a bit of "sucking air" sound when the engine is pushed pass 2500 rpm, and when in cruising, no sound from the airfilter. Only put a couple of kms on it, will provide further update when the engine settles down with the filter.

I forgot to add that it was not as easy as finklejag pointed out, to replace the filter. The filter top cover was very snuggedly placed, so removing it took about 10 mins, after the 5 torx screws came off.

finklejag
21-11-03, 02:40 AM
I forgot to add that it was not as easy as finklejag pointed out, to replace the filter. The filter top cover was very snuggedly placed, so removing it took about 10 mins, after the 5 torx screws came off.

Rookie :nono; :cheesy:

It will only take 2 minutes next time. Its kinda hard to remove the lid the first time. You will know how to do it next time. :wink:

sam_jam
21-11-03, 05:49 AM
I'm ordering mine straight from the UK ... and since its too dusty in this part of the world the nice person at ITG suugested that they handmake mine with some modification to suit Dubai's harsh conditions.... here's what they said:

"Thanks for your enquiry concerning our WB-607 pro-filter. This filter is a ‘fit and forget’ filter which is designed to last 60,000 miles (100,000km) or more, with no cleaning needed, other than removing large debris like fly’s etc. However this is based on general conditions here in the UK, not the dusty conditions that you encounter out in the UAE, so I am a little concerned that this filter may not be suitable for you. What we could do for you though is produce a hand made version of the filter which you would be able to clean out during regular servicing, as well as adding an extra layer to increase the filtration and dust holding capacity of the filter.

The standard filter on your car will be a paper element type, these work by trapping the dust on the surface of the element – hence the folds to increase the surface area. The problem with this style of filter is that as soon as dust starts to build up on the surface, the airflow capacity starts to drop causing a restriction and loss of performance. The advantage of using a foam filter like ours is, the dust is held within the filter itself, giving the filter a much higher capacity for holding the dirt without causing a restriction. This means that the filter will run for a lot longer without the drop in performance you would get with a paper filter. Another benefit with our filter is that the pressure drop from one side of the filter to the other is usually a lot less than a standard filter giving an improvement in throttle response as well as an improvement in fuel consumption.

With the dusty conditions you encounter in the UAE I would recommend cleaning the filter every 10,000 miles to ensure that the filter keeps performing properly. With the filter oil we are going to send, you will have to use petrol or another suitable solvent (I know Silkolene produce a specific foam filter cleaning solution) to clean out the filter and then re-apply the oil. This should take no longer then 10 minutes to do."

I thought i'd share this info with you guys ... please tell me what think...

mav238
21-11-03, 12:20 PM

Rookie :nono; :cheesy:

It will only take 2 minutes next time. Its kinda hard to remove the lid the first time. You will know how to do it next time. :wink:

That's funny Finkle. :D

But I was about to yank the airbox, until it finally came off from under the enclosure.

Anyway, after 60km of spirited driving, no real "highlights" or exciting things happening with the filter mod, as I expected. But there was no harsh noise from the engine as someone here posted. The engine was as before, quiet in cruising, until you gas it and the whooshing sound comes, but still my magnaflow exhaust sound just overwhelmed it.

Will kepp updated as the kms build up.

jcancio
21-11-03, 07:01 PM
Will this ITG or JR Filter void our warranty? or not really?

Thanks.

sjhudon
21-11-03, 07:03 PM
Will this ITG or JR Filter void our warranty? or not really?

Thanks.

No.

mbodo
22-11-03, 01:50 AM
I thought i'd share this info with you guys ... please tell me what think...

Sounds like you have found an aftermarket provider that is committed to their product. To me, not being in UAE, I have a new found respect for this brand of filters. That is to say, if they will take care of someone in an environment as unpleasent to the combustion chamber as yours, they will most certainly take care of my environment (which is sunny days, 80 degrees all the time, and never rains.. oh and no sand ;-) )

Saba
23-11-03, 07:07 AM
I've got the JR Filter but didn't get the cleaning kit and oil. Does anybody know if K&N cleaning kits and oil will do the job on the JR. I can get K&N stuff at the local auto shop.

mav238
23-11-03, 07:03 PM
I've got the JR Filter but didn't get the cleaning kit and oil. Does anybody know if K&N cleaning kits and oil will do the job on the JR. I can get K&N stuff at the local auto shop.

SABA:

Which part of Aussie land are you in? Is it particularly dust where you are? These high dirt loading filters should get you through at least 60,000 km with the airflow performance approaching that of the normal paper filter by that period of time. In some cases, even as much as 100,000km. Instead of cleaning it, I would suggest buying a new one (that would be around 2-4 years depending on how much you drive).

finklejag
23-11-03, 07:46 PM
He lives on the west coast. I wouldn't think he will have problems with alot of dirt. Maybe some beach sand :)

That is what I'm going to do. I will just buy a new filter every year. $55.00 is a good investment. I know I could buy the cleaning kit, but why? I rather just install a brand new oiled filter from the factory.

Saba
23-11-03, 07:59 PM
Yep live on the west coast. Not much dust, the wind from the Indian ocean blows most of the dust over east :cheesy: My original intention was to buy one every 2-3 years and I probably will do that still, but I think I will clean and oil every year.

mav238
24-11-03, 02:06 AM
He lives on the west coast. I wouldn't think he will have problems with alot of dirt. Maybe some beach sand :)

That is what I'm going to do. I will just buy a new filter every year. $55.00 is a good investment. I know I could buy the cleaning kit, but why? I rather just install a brand new oiled filter from the factory.

Wow, every year, :o , even with the factory OEM filter I just changed out, at 23,000 km/1 year, the dust collected was not that bad, probably could have gone another 6 months to a year. I think with the high flow filter, it will go at least 2 times that of the paper filter. So 2-3 years is a good suggestion...

But unless you know how to clean and re-oil, it's probably best to just change in a new one every 2-3 years.

chingbong
26-11-03, 11:17 AM
Well I just installed the JR filter, and you can really hear the whoosing sound! Its pretty cool, but is everyone else with the JR getting bad gas mileage? I was getting 21 (city) but now I can't break 19.0 driving like a grandpa, and I don't drive like a grandpa.

Anyone else experiencing this?

mav238
26-11-03, 05:31 PM
Well I just installed the JR filter, and you can really hear the whoosing sound! Its pretty cool, but is everyone else with the JR getting bad gas mileage? I was getting 21 (city) but now I can't break 19.0 driving like a grandpa, and I don't drive like a grandpa.

Anyone else experiencing this?

The ECU needs to "calibrate" itself to the new increased airflow which the MAF is picking up at idle and also under acceleration. This may take some time for the ECU to "learn".

chingbong
26-11-03, 05:52 PM
No way to fix it? Maybe if I went in to the dealer and had them calibrate it?

sjhudon
26-11-03, 06:07 PM
No way to fix it? Maybe if I went in to the dealer and had them calibrate it?

What do you mean fix it? it re-calibrates itself due to changing air flow. just takes it a little while to learn that is the new normal flow.

chingbong
26-11-03, 06:32 PM
Ah. Gotcha. Sweet sound tho.