86 9000 dash removal [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 86 9000 dash removal

Shaft
17th November 2003, 11:55 AM
Hey all, I have a 86 9000 Turbo.
I want to install a new boost guage where the analogue clock is.

Can someone walk me through on the removal and installation of this item?

Where should I start disasembling the dash?
thanks!

Rhich
17th November 2003, 12:22 PM
Analog clock is an easy removal, using a small screwdriver or pick just gently pry out from bottom or a lower corner.
It “pops” in and out like the rest of the switches.
Is that enough room to install the gauge? If not I could (or someone) provide you with more information as to removing the top of the dash to give you more working room.

Shaft
17th November 2003, 12:47 PM
I don't think it will be enough room. I have to splice the vacumm line to the existing one. So removal of the top of the dash would be ideal. I would appreciate the instructions on how to do this. Thanks

BurnsSide42
17th November 2003, 04:25 PM
So i take it u've seen my boost gauge?

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Nov/200311179164933868422405.jpg

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Nov/200311178827300610458951.jpg

stock:
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Nov/200311173204029384114452.jpg

BurnsSide42
17th November 2003, 04:30 PM
Just get an "extra" clock assembly and gut the clock out. The gauge was almost a perfect fit, a little sanding and it slides right in. Hook up the lights to the plug that was there and it dims with everything else. The vac lines on mine run through part of the old cruise control since mine was broken. Otherwise any vac line would work. and my buttons still work too for the Info Center. It's at a good level too for watching and driving. Next on my list is a AFR gauge, just haven't thought of a "good" spot for it yet. I've considered where the headlight switch is, but then where would i put that? so it's still just an idea. I'd hate to put a hole in my perfect dash.

Shaft
17th November 2003, 04:49 PM
I've seen a few gauges in that location. My question is how to go about disassembling the dash. I know how i'm gonna connect it and all. I can't find any screws to take out except for the ones in the glove box. Instructions?

As for the AFR gauge see if you can mount it inside the gauge cluster, or mount it in front of the cluster, over where the stock boost guage is.

BurnsSide42
17th November 2003, 05:31 PM
just remove the unit and assemble it so all you hafta do is hook up the wires and vac line. Takes about 15 minutes to hook up once assembled. No Dash removal required. Does your cruise control work now? If not, it will never ;) so just hook it to that.

Wamphyri
17th November 2003, 06:41 PM
I know in my 1990 Saab 9k I had to pop out the speaker covers to access some rather very nasty and hidden screws. You'll see em easily enough when you take them off.. I have mine lower actually attached in one of the cubby holes.

Shaft
17th November 2003, 11:05 PM
Ok so your saying i don't have to take apart my dash. How do I connect the vac line from the cruise control without going behind the dash????????

I'm completely puzzled there

Wamphyri
17th November 2003, 11:31 PM
The top of your dash pops off ad you can get at your existing boost gauge that is what I did 2 - 3 " left you past the cluster 3 "'s towards you and your at the clock

Marrk
18th November 2003, 08:56 AM
Remove front speaker covers, reove bolts, do not lose spacer on rh side. Open glove box, one screw is accessible thru hole, other screw in on front edge of instrument (speedo etc) panel. Lift off, disconnecting wires to sun sensor. I think thats it, then its easy to access the vacuum pipes. Hope this helps!

BurnsSide42
18th November 2003, 10:49 AM
sounds complicated... all i did was remove the cover above the driver feet and with my arm reached up for the wires i had on a weight that i dropped down. Then i just pulled them in an orderly fashion to the cruise control which was near by. Took about 20 minutes i think.

Wamphyri
19th November 2003, 12:57 AM
Not complicated at all only about 8 - 12 screws and the whole top panel comes off you can get behind the cluster extremly easy then.

Shaft
19th November 2003, 11:54 AM
right on! Thanks for the help Mark. My boost guage will be here shortly. I found the location of all those screws so that top panel is comin off! :)
Any body have any luck changing BOV's?

Shaft
26th November 2003, 08:29 AM
Hey all!
I installed my boost guage.
There was no need to take the top of the dash off.
Once you popped the clock out, you can reach behind the stock boost guage through the hole, and remove the current vaccuum hose. Extend the hose using connectors and you're done!
very easy 5 min job.

Rhich
26th November 2003, 08:48 AM
Hey all!
I installed my boost guage.
There was no need to take the top of the dash off.
Once you popped the clock out, you can reach behind the stock boost guage through the hole, and remove the current vaccuum hose. Extend the hose using connectors and you're done!
very easy 5 min job.

Didn't we say that at the begining?????

Shaft
26th November 2003, 08:53 AM
nah it was more along the lines of splicing into the cruise control.
But ah well, all in good fun. its done!

Wolverine
23rd December 2003, 07:14 PM
Just curious -- why was the stock guage inadequate?

Castor Troy
23rd December 2003, 10:17 PM
the stock gauge doesnt show the actual boost in PSI/BAR, just how "safe" the current boost level is

Wamphyri
24th December 2003, 03:30 AM
Like with my stock guage it shows i go just a bit into the red, with my psi boost guage it tells me i'm running 13 psi its also handy if you want to increase your base boost.