'perforation corrosion' warranty - what does it mean? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 'perforation corrosion' warranty - what does it mean?

PeriSoft
22-01-10, 09:33 AM
I'm looking at picking up a 2005 9-5 Arc tomorrow. I passed on an '03 Aero due to rust on the inner wheel well. The Arc is still under CPO warranty until september 2011, so I'm not too worried about mechanical stuff, but rust is still a biggie.

So, what does the CPO and original warranty cover? I keep seeing this 'perforation corrosion' warranty listed as being 10 years / unlimited miles, but nobody mentioned anything when I pointed out the rust on the Aero I was checking out. Would that actually have been covered, given that it was rust-through and not surface rust? :confused:

nbndtrain
22-01-10, 10:22 AM
Find a car outside the NE. My last two Saabs were bought sight unseen, and shipped to CO. One was actually from Albany (90 SPG) but it had been babied and garaged. My 05 9-5 Aero came from the dealership in Atlanta, and they took care of shipping it. I don't think people shouild limit themselves when they know what they are looking for, and at.

PeriSoft
22-01-10, 03:33 PM
I don't have that option, as my budget is very limited - hence my asking the question. And, of course, the question applies just as much after I own the car as it did before - unless you suggest that I move in order to avoid the issue entirely!

photousa
22-01-10, 04:07 PM
Don't bother thinking about Saab's rust warranty while GM still owns the company. It's a warranty in name only and GM is fully confident that they've covered themselves so that they will never have to pay out on the warranty. I tested the warranty while I was still under the warranty, I have some surface rust and some bubbling on a small part of one of my dog legs. To make a warranty claim, you have to have a perforation hole big enough to stick your finger through...in other words, since that will never happen, they will never have to pay out on a warranty. If you try getting on the phone to GM, they will stonewall you with every excuse they can think of to avoid a claim, it's very sad. Saab only offers a 6 year rust warranty for a very good reason, they know exactly when you should start to see rust...For example VW has a 10 year rust warranty and their cars seem to have superior rust prevention..just a thought. The only way GM /Saab is going to pay out on a rust claim is through a class action lawsuit.

nbndtrain
23-01-10, 12:26 AM
unless you suggest that I move in order to avoid the issue entirely!

No, I hear Ithaca is gorges.