cheap performance upgrades? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: cheap performance upgrades?

brianhanley
10th April 2002, 11:36 AM
i been lookin online, looks like 200 for a chip, 50 for a KN filter, 600 for an exhaust, man this crap bettter do a hella good job, ok so here is my question, i have heard that too much back pressure will hurt the engine, but what would too litttle? like if i threw on a cheap straight pipe? any thoughts?

my kraia
10th April 2002, 08:11 PM
You don't have to spend that much for an exhaust. On my '88 SPG I put a Magnaflow flow through muffler with 2.5" pipeing, and it does great. With a turbo you could even go up to a 3". The only problem you might run into is that your engine might run lean. So make sure you don't neglect the fuel consumption.

Smackrazor
10th April 2002, 11:20 PM
If you have too little back pressure on an N/A car you lose HP but that's about it.

tertsi
11th April 2002, 02:05 AM
I think that with turbocharger you must not have any back pressure!! Some wise men have said that back pressure can break your turbocharger bearings in time, i don't know if this is true but think about it i think that is a good theory. I can tell that in rally cars they have only CAT in the exhaust pipe and then straight to the end. :smile: bigger is bigger and smoother

Smackrazor
11th April 2002, 07:26 PM
Yeah but NA = Naturally Aspirated = turboless. The back-pressure on NA cars is needed to suck the air through the engine otherwise you will lose horses!

tertsi
12th April 2002, 03:10 AM
You are right about that thing in N/A engine must have little back pressure. I notice that when i had bmw 320i and i put straight flow/turbo muffler to last, with low rpm there was power loss and it didn't improve the higher rpm power so there's no reason but sound to go with straight pipe in N/A engine. :smile: P.S. There are a few people who think i'm insane that the saabism is mental insanity!! There was good story in finnish tuning magazine there was opel by the side off the road and one saab stopped to help opel guy there was sticker in rear window that 'saabism is insanity' then saab guy said 'this is so bad sickness that tow your opel by yourself!' and saab left the area!

ianlax55
12th April 2002, 02:29 PM
i have talked to mechanics about this and with no backpressure you can burn your valves so be carefull! you need at least a muffle r or cat(learned this the hard way in my turbo volvo)

Johann F
12th April 2002, 04:47 PM
Not this one again! ! - Backpressure on a turbo car only exists before the turbo - and it's huge! anything after the turbo can have no influence on the valves whatsoever. Th e exhaust system on a N/A car is tuned so that the velocity of gases pulls the exhaust out of the cylinders quicker and therefore increases it's efficiency . A turbo exhaust system down of the turbo just moves the gases to the rear of the car and hopefully presents as little resistance to gas flow as possible - it's the pressure differential across the turbo from the exhaust manifold to the downpipe which creates the power -reduce this difference and you reduce the efficiency of the turbo. The only way I can think that removing an obstruction in the exhaust would burn valves is if the engine management system couldn't cope with the sudden increase in engine efficiency and ran lean

brianhanley
16th April 2002, 02:06 PM
ok so do i put on this 2 inch cherry bomb or not? hehe

catdilac69
6th December 2007, 09:56 PM
Do it!! i put a 2 1/2 inch cherry bomb turbo muffler on my 85' 900 turbo..it sounds awesome.....i love it ..... it sounds like a peterbuilt coming down the road

93SAABJADE
6th December 2007, 10:48 PM
i been lookin online, looks like 200 for a chip, 50 for a KN filter, 600 for an exhaust, man this crap bettter do a hella good job, ok so here is my question, i have heard that too much back pressure will hurt the engine, but what would too litttle? like if i threw on a cheap straight pipe? any thoughts?

Im guessing your car is an N/A because of the replies. Tell us how you do power wise with your N/A cause a lot of people out there say don't even bother. But go for it, I would like to know considering I have an N/A.

Oh go for a glasspack, yea their loud but youll have some back pressure and a nice soundin ride.

yfs87
6th December 2007, 11:13 PM
if you have an N/A. get a 2.1 n/a header/dp to a 4 bolt cat, and then the exhast from a turbo cat back and you get a 40% increase in flow. you may notice a few (as in 5 tops) more horsepower. it will also sound a bit better, but thats about it. worth it if you need a new exhast anyway (as you can get everything fairly cheap on eeuroparts. way cheaper than 600 at least) but not worth it if yours is fine.

yfs87
6th December 2007, 11:16 PM
when you say chip, do you mean apc?...meaning you have a turbo? if you do, you can swap a few resistors on yours and get much of the effect of an aftermarket one...for just pennies and a solder gun. check out 900aero.com

mikewitdaspike
6th December 2007, 11:39 PM
when you say chip, do you mean apc?...meaning you have a turbo? if you do, you can swap a few resistors on yours and get much of the effect of an aftermarket one...for just pennies and a solder gun. check out 900aero.com

i think he's talking about the jak stoll performance chip

unkleG'sif
7th December 2007, 08:31 AM
dudes, this therad is over 5 years old... i doubt he's still looking to upgrade the car... let alone still driving it :roll:

G

Albert Trout
7th December 2007, 08:50 AM
dudes, this therad is over 5 years old... i doubt he's still looking to upgrade the car... let alone still driving it :roll:

G

Awww, G, could you not have let it run a little longer :lol:

DanF.
7th December 2007, 10:26 AM
Right.... And I can't believe no one said he should turbo his N/A. oh...

SteveTheFolkie
7th December 2007, 12:07 PM
absence of weight - cheapest performance upgrade you can make. Strip the AC out, take out the carpet, , head liner, rear seat and all that junk that accumulates in the trunk or under the hatch - get a pair of lighter front seats - ditch the massive amp and sub-woofers. Performance is a matter of lbs/hp - the less weight for a given horsepower the faster you'll be (you'll also handle better and stop faster).

Want to go faster still? Glass is really heavy - swap the glass in your side windows and hatch for a light plexiglass. Rotating weight has a major impact on handling, accelerating and stopping as well - find the lightest tires you can and mount them on the lightest appropriate wheels you can find -

Going fast doesn't always mean adding power - just look at any Lotus

Steve