Struts are chosen - what other parts are essential while everything is apart? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Struts are chosen - what other parts are essential while everything is apart?

sirsimon
15th January 2010, 12:32 AM
I've chosen Bilstein HDs, they areordered and on their way. I also ordered some KYB SM5172 strut mounts from RockAuto. Anything else major that I should *really* consider replacing before I dive into this job? If you suggest bushings, which of the bushing packs (or kits) at GS are the best choice?

I'm going to wait on the 6-point brace for a month or two so that I can get a feel for just how much the new struts improved things.

I'm still undecided on springs, but leaning away from doing them at this point.

Thanks as always for your help! :)

Moosepuck
15th January 2010, 11:10 AM
http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=56_28&products_id=762

That's what I put in, with the optional upgraded bolts.... Be prepared for a big PITA to get those control arm bushings out!...... But I think you must have friends with shop equipment so it may not be so bad.....

Do the strut mounts you bought come with bearings? If not, might be a good idea to get those as well.....

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=4909701

sirsimon
15th January 2010, 03:44 PM
I believe they come with bearings, which is why I paid a bit more for them. If they don't, I'll be a sad panda.... :roll:

Yep, I'll be mostly sipping coffee watching my friend do all the real work with his fully stocked shop, so I should be OK.

I'll check out the GS parts, thanks for the recommendation. Did your stock bushings look pretty tired out?

Moosepuck
15th January 2010, 06:24 PM
Stock bushings didn't look too bad.... everything feels nice and tight now though. Enjoy!

sirsimon
18th January 2010, 01:09 AM
So I ended up ordering the stage 1 bushing kit + the steering rack bushings (who can pass up $20?).

Still torn on the springs. My main concern is just not wanting to have rubbing issues or be hitting the bumpstops. I wish someone made performance springs for our cars with a milder drop. 25mm would be good for me.