1991 900 SE Convertible [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 1991 900 SE Convertible

kush
05-01-10, 01:15 AM
After hunting craigslist for a month or two and checking out seemingly endless cars that were outside of the sellers descriptions I had pretty much given up. I saw this SAAB pop up from a "dealership" on CL and was weary.

I checked the car out one evening and gave it a drive, I was made aware that the first gear pops out and when I tried it all I heard was a grinding noise so I have avoided that gear since. The brothers who ran this little dealership thing bought cars from auction and flip them, he bought this one with some minor front end damage a few months ago and it has been a side project of his. The car ran well otherwise and after learning about its history I thought about it overnight and spent a few hours reading about these cars, carfax was clean.

The next day I headed back to check the car out during the day, followed the buyers guide from saabcentral and set a mental price point in my head as to what I was willing to pay for the car. After some haggling the seller met my price and I was the owner of a quirky 18yr old Swedish convertible.

It is a 5spd 16 valve turbo with 159,000 miles.

immediate maintenance:

10ft 3.5mm rubber/silicon tube for vacuum line over hall
case of mobile 1 synthetic for engine/gear box
coolant flush
new plugs/wires/cap

I am also considering running a can of seafoam through before I flush everything. If everything is good I will likely replace the stereo system next as I am not sure what is in the car, there is what appears to be an OEM clarion cd player and a pioneer cd changer controller between the seats, but I haven't found the unit yet.

Some photos:

http://web.me.com/r.y/saab/1991_SAAB_900SE.html

Vollblut
18-01-10, 07:41 AM
Looks pretty straight. Should turn out nicely!

philjohnhb
24-01-10, 04:50 PM
Before you use Sea Foam I would suggest that you search it here on SC. I have read of nothing but trouble.

900t
24-01-10, 09:53 PM
If not broken...

SaabHat93
24-01-10, 10:08 PM
I've used Seafoam on two of our cars with no ill-effects, but also no positive effects either. Didn't notice any change. Just follow the directions on the bottle and you should be fine if the car is in good running order. Couldn't hurt.

900t
24-01-10, 11:18 PM
I've used Seafoam on two of our cars with no ill-effects, but also no positive effects either. Didn't notice any change. Just follow the directions on the bottle and you should be fine if the car is in good running order. Couldn't hurt.

But it CAN hurt that is the issue :lol::lol: