Saab crash test results [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Saab crash test results

wassim2k
10th October 2003, 02:09 PM
Cool site, starts with 1982 900 all the way to 2003 9-5. For those of you talking about Hyundai, click on their name and see black.

http://www.safecarguide.com/mak/saab/idx.htm

Matthew
10th October 2003, 02:35 PM
That is a brutal picture :o

The Euro NCap website (http://www.euroncap.com) is very interesting too, and has many pictures and analysis of crash tests on modern cars.

Munki
10th October 2003, 02:48 PM

The Euro NCap website (http://www.euroncap.com) is very interesting too, and has many pictures and analysis of crash tests on modern cars.
Blimey! I don't feel quite as safe as I did after reading up on my car on that site :o although if it was involved in a head on with a Mini then I'd rather be in the Saab 8)

But this puzzled meAccident patterns vary from country to country within Europe, but approximately a quarter of all serious-to-fatal injuries happen in side impact collisions. Many of these injuries occur when one car runs into the side of another. But in Germany over half such injuries occur when a car hits a pole or a tree.
Why only in Germany?

PunktKruger
10th October 2003, 02:54 PM

From the review of my 9-3:

"Unfortunately, pedestrian protection on this car was all but non-existent: only two child head protection sites scored points."

A safe car that mows down pedestrians without remorse? Where do I sign? :D

PunktKruger
10th October 2003, 02:55 PM
Why only in Germany?
You know how those Germans drink. ;)

CleveSaab
10th October 2003, 03:25 PM
The fine for hitting another car when you are at fault in Germany can be pretty oppressive. If you have any time to react in an accidnet in Germany, aim for the trees!!!

Munki
10th October 2003, 03:52 PM
The fine for hitting another car when you are at fault in Germany can be pretty oppressive. If you have any time to react in an accidnet in Germany, aim for the trees!!!
Sideways...?

http://www.euroncap.com/tests_pole_test.htm

Matthew
10th October 2003, 04:00 PM
Blimey! I don't feel quite as safe as I did after reading up on my car on that site :o although if it was involved in a head on with a Mini then I'd rather be in the Saab 8)
Bugger... look at this...
http://www.euroncap.com/images/results/large_family_cars/saab_900_1997/saab_900_1997.jpg

I can hardly believe that a Saab has crumpled like that... car looks like it's bent in half :(

The 9-3 is no better:
http://www.euroncap.com/images/results/large_family_cars/saab_9_3_1999/saab_9_3_1999.jpg

Compare with the MY03 Renault Laguna
http://www.euroncap.com/images/results/large_family_cars/car_158_2003/renault_laguna_2003.jpg

There's much discussion on the difference between the NCap style tests and accident performance in the real-world. However, having a 5-start NCap car can't be a bad thing :-??

SPGBOY
10th October 2003, 05:57 PM
You actually want a cars front end to crumple up like that. I know its not so nice if you want to keep the car but it is a whole lot better for you, and it could be the difference between life and death. By proloning the time of the force that your car takes it makes the impact of the crash less on you. Many new cars have front crumple-zones just for this reason. They may not look so pretty after an accident, but you will be much better off if you have a crumple zone in your car.

Matthew
10th October 2003, 06:24 PM
You actually want a cars front end to crumple up like that.
The problem with the 9-3 and NG900 shown is that the passenger compartment has crumpled also. This means that interior fixings intrude into the passenger's space, causing injury. It also means the doors may not open without cutting open the car.

Take another look at the photographs. Examine the doors, roofline, floorpan and A pillars.

What you want is for the front-end to crumple, but for the damage to cease at the start of the passenger compartment. The doors should open even after an accident, with all pillars remaining straight.

Of the three photographs shown, I know which car I'd rather be in and shockingly, it's neither of the Saabs :o

SPGBOY
10th October 2003, 07:03 PM
Upon looking at if further i see what you mean with the passenger compartment being crumpled too. I'd like to see how the old 900's did in this test. In all the pictures of real life accidents the old 900's seem to take a major beating and still the passenger part is pretty much still intact. They really did break the mold when they stopped making the old 900's. I would be very interested to see a comparison between the old and new 900's.

Matthew
10th October 2003, 07:09 PM
Yes, I too would really like to see how a C900 would fare in the NCap tests. It'd be penalised for lack of airbags (although IIRC the US got airbags whereas the rest didn't).

If anything, a C900 may not crumple up too much. Hey I bet a 99 would destroy the concrete lump they drive the cars into. The 99's A pillars IIRC extend down to be welded to the inner wing :o

Not looking to start a OG900 vs NG900 thing here, but... it's probably fair to say that yes GM did lose the plot on crash robustness (although I have no empirical evidence to support that statement).

A huge spider has just twice climbed my living room wall all the way to the top, and twice fallen off the ceiling onto the (wooden) floor below :( Poor thing... must be knackered and bruised :cry:

SaabScott
10th October 2003, 10:38 PM
Cool site, starts with 1982 900 all the way to 2003 9-5. For those of you talking about Hyundai, click on their name and see black.

Having a wife who has written off both of our Hyundai Elantras, I can personally atest to how well they stand up in accidents.
I know their ratings are lousy, but real world proof suggests otherwise.
She walked away from both situations with barely a scratch ...
True, she would have been even better off in a Saab, but she'll have to get her own :wink: :cheesy: ...

BurnsSide42
10th October 2003, 10:49 PM
I got worried for a sec that my 9000 wasn't Saab Safe... then I saw this:

Frontal Impacts only (Differs from Side Impacts)
5 stars (*****) = 10% or less chance of serious injury.
4 stars (****) = 11% to 20% chance of serious injury.
3 stars (***) = 21% to 35% chance of serious injury.
2 stars (**) = 36% to 45% chance of serious injury.
1 star (*) = 46% or greater chance of serious injury.
N/A (N/A) = incomplete or missing data.

Side Impacts only (Differs from Side Impacts)
5 stars (*****) = 5% or less chance of serious injury.
4 stars (****) = 6% to 10% chance of serious injury.
3 stars (***) = 11% to 20% chance of serious injury.
2 stars (**) = 21% to 25% chance of serious injury.
1 star (*) = 26% or greater chance of serious injury.
N/A (N/A) = incomplete or missing data.

Year--|Make and Model|Doors|Weight|Driver(F)Pass|Driver(S)Pass|

1987--- Saab 9000-------- 4HB-- 3520 (*****) (*****)

Scored 5 outta 5 in both Frontal impact & Side impact Good
to know.
However, an 88 Saab 900 2dr HB
1988--- Saab 900---------- 2HB-- 3340 (**** ) (** )

tsk tsk, i would think it would be safer then a 9000 by a lot.

CleveSaab
11th October 2003, 12:39 AM
The problem with the 9-3 and NG900 shown is that the passenger compartment has crumpled also. This means that interior fixings intrude into the passenger's space, causing injury. It also means the doors may not open without cutting open the car.

Ah yes, but I, having done a little research, can tell you. Notice how there are no protruding knobs in our cars? Not an accident. Notice the key, no accident. Notice the steering column, specially designed to break, instead of thrust into the passenger area as most other cars at the time did.

Insanely long article, but well worth the read to ANY pre-93SS owners...and to those 93-SS owners that want a bit of eudumacating! (http://www.legendssaab.com/safety.htm) ;)

Random Quote:
"The doors, reinforced with side intrusion bars, have soft lines with no hard armrest surfaces to protect the occupant if they strike an armrest at spleen or kidney level. Hard armrests are known in the safety business as "spleen killers", because that is their most common effect. Saabs have generous amounts of padding in the doors to prevent this from occurring. Safe Seats are also vital to interior safety. Many accident photos have revealed that the seats of most cars have been knocked backwards or sideways in a collision. Most car seats will rip from their mountings and do additional damage to the occupant. It is vital that the seat remain in its proper position to fully protect the occupants Saab seats are extremely robust, so much so that the seat belts themselves are attached to the seat, not the body."

CleveSaab
11th October 2003, 12:43 AM
So the 93-SS owners don't feel left out:
CLICKY (http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/industries/automotive/5609756.htm)

93-SS quote:
"For the 2003 model year, Saab introduced what it claims may be one of the safest cars in the world -- the 9-3 Sports Sedan -- featuring a crash-worthy steel safety cage, side-curtain air bags, and a sophisticated sensing system for air bag and seat-belt pre-tensioner deployment. The new 9-3 received the highest possible crash rating, five stars, in the latest collision tests by the European New Car Assessment Program (EuroNCAP)."

Ceriw
11th October 2003, 01:33 PM
this thread could lead up to the big question....

first- here's the crash I saw about 3 months ago; 1985 volvo 240 head on into 2003 peugeot 206(?) at 45 mph ish. Volvo driver had chest injuries (steering wheel) and peugeot driver dead at scene.( volvo still looked like a volvo- peugeot didn't look like much at all)

So- what's going to happen when pre 'impact absorbing' heavy car -saab- hits new car with crumple zones.....and do we have to wait for real life smashes to see? Would people be buying big old cars if the above crash between the Volvo and Peugeot is indicative of the probable end result?

And is it a probable end result?

valbowski1980
18th November 2003, 07:06 PM
Hey, I posted something like this eariler.

Crumple zones are great just as long as the cage isn't one of them. But take a spin through Boston or any of its suburbs and you will see that for those m*******s :D or the poor victums from out of state who must drive next to them an Abrams tank wont be safe enough. Honestly, I wonder how I make it out of there with out a scarpe every time.

ragtopcav
18th November 2003, 07:26 PM
I go back to make the point that was lost in the temporal anomolie on Sunday, regardless of the ncap test, in real world situations ng900 and 9-3 come out way above average in occupant survival as does the 9000, the c900 fairs less well but is still above average and further more considering its design age [1979 launch?] no vehicle actually performs better for that age.
Obviously the 9-5 and the 9-3ss are considerably younger and do better still as they should.
From a european perspective the c900 crash test should be measured against Austin Ambassadors, Ford Granada [the boxy one], Vauxhall Royale, Volvo 240/260, Rover SD1, I'll stop there, how many of those are left on the road in any numbers, and only the Volvo offers similar collision strength.

Grypen
21st May 2004, 12:55 PM
Insanely long article, but well worth the read to ANY pre-93SS owners...and to those 93-SS owners that want a bit of eudumacating! (http://www.legendssaab.com/safety.htm) ;)

I'm the author of that "insanely long article" :)

Sadly Legend Saab ripped it off and I just noticed. See my other post here:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14543

For more info.

Glad to see you like it though!

Johann F
21st May 2004, 01:29 PM
The 99 is not as strong as the C900 ( despite it's rugged reputation) - one of the reasons for the introduction of the 900 was to pass tougher US crash saftey tests.

Jezzadee
21st May 2004, 01:38 PM
Grypen wrote:

I'm the author of that "insanely long article"

Hope you get due credit. Welcome to Saab Central 8)

kemosaabey
21st May 2004, 02:23 PM
In sweden the 9000 came top many times in real-world safety, alternating with the big volvo's (according to Falksam insurance) The C900 was also way above average.

The 9-5 is currently the No1 safest car in sweden.

20Ted
21st May 2004, 03:16 PM
Aren't Saabs designed to withstand "REAL WORLD/LIFE" accidents, rather than being designed to score high on the government tests?

I remember seeing somewhere that some automakers are engineering their cars to score high on those designed crash tests, yet don't do as well in the real world...