9000 disks and calipers to 900 [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 9000 disks and calipers to 900

Fan-TC
09-04-02, 08:02 AM
Today while i was having heavied springs and shocks fitted to my mums 9000 I witnessed this conversion. It all looked pretty easy.

On a 88 900 it took 2.5 hours and aparently uses all stock (assorted) saab parts...

It woulda been useful but mine has already got it done...

Just thought i would post this as many ppl talk about custom brake lines being needed, apparently no......

automec1062
10-04-02, 12:43 AM
tell me more !what 9000 rotor and calipers fit ?
mike

Fan-TC
10-04-02, 07:53 PM
The calipers concerned were 94 9000 CST, i think....

Um, i am not sure about the other details but i will tell ya that it is impossible to fit any bigger under 15" rims, they fill every last inch...

Eric van Spelde
11-04-02, 04:33 AM
It's quite easy, really - as long as you have an 88- on 900 to begin with. The backplates of the 900 hubs have to be trimmed in order not to interfere with the larger calipers, the little pieces of hard brake line from the 900 calipers must be transferred and attached to the calipers with new L-shaped brackets, and that's it. You can keep your existing brake flex line, but I'd replace them with teflon/stainless steel lines if you haven't done so already.

bohtak
11-04-02, 01:41 PM
Eric,
I have a 82' model. Can anything be done? What do i have to change and get? Kinda need some advice here and help here. I'll be fitting the T16 engine on september. Would love better brakes on my 4 door saab. currently i've facelift the car to the 90'SPG front bumper and the normal ones at the rear, and using enkei ZXW 16"s. Trent Saab springs and spax shocks.

Eric van Spelde
11-04-02, 03:32 PM
Yes, it can be done. You'll basically have to swap the front hubs and rear axle (including brakes) from an '88 on model, and transfer the handbrake cables and lever from the later car (this involves a little welding). Although some say it's a one day job, my Saab shop's mechanic took 22.5 hrs (including the conversion to the later 9000 front brakes and a few little things other than this) to complete the job, and I know he's pretty efficient (as witnessed this afternoon when he swapped my newly-acquired Crower 'special grind' cams in). The big stuff is pretty straightforward, but there's little things as fabricating brackets for the small pieces of hard brake line on the front calipers and the handbrake light switch at the lever, drilling holes in the body under the rear seat for the handbrake cables to pass, and sealing off the areas where the front handbrake cables used to pass through after they've been cut off.

If you intend to keep the car 'forever' though, converting to the later brake system is just about the best thing you can do. The later brakes are so much more reliable and you've got a much better selection of performance brake pads, especially for the larer 9000-style ('88-on Turbo, '90 on all) front brakes.

Good Luck,
Eric

Turbo! Team Europe

Alex
11-04-02, 05:22 PM
Swapping to the later hubs also allows you to use Ford wheels (they have the same PCD and a very similar offset to that of the Saab) and enables a far wider choice of aftermarket wheels to be used.

bohtak
11-04-02, 10:19 PM
Thanxs Alot Guys.