JR air filter review [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: JR air filter review

finklejag
8th October 2003, 08:07 PM
I just installed this today. What a difference. I can really hear the turbo spooling up now. Man :!

The car definitely feels like it has more power. It just might be me. I also feel less turbo lag off the line.

WASAAB. With your exhaust and this filter. You will feel like your driving a totaly different car.

I give it the Finkle seal of approval (Whatever thats worth) :D

WASAAB
8th October 2003, 08:30 PM
WASAAB. With your exhaust and this filter. You will feel like your driving a totaly different car.

:o :cheesy: Thanks buddy.
Now I know what to order tonight :P
I ordered the Decor kit yesterday for $40 from SAABCATALOG.com
It was cheap..I can't wait to install it..

BTW..finklejag..let me know about the gas milege too. :P

finklejag
8th October 2003, 08:37 PM
bTW..finklejag..let me know about the gas milege too. :P

Will do :wink:

It will probably suck the first tank full. I been shifting at 5,500 rpms to hear the turbo sing :cheesy:

WASAAB
8th October 2003, 08:48 PM
bTW..finklejag..let me know about the gas milege too. :P

Will do :wink:

It will probably suck the first tank full. I been shifting at 5,500 rpms to hear the turbo sing :cheesy:
I bet ya :wink: :cheesy:
Did You bought the spray can for cleaning the filter?

epsilon93
8th October 2003, 08:58 PM
Wasaab,

Could you post a pic of the decor kit by itself once you get it? I'd like to see what it looks like and how it would fit. I can see this part in the electronic parts catalog but it is not clear how it goes on and it doesn't have any fitting or removal instructions.

WASAAB
8th October 2003, 09:00 PM
Wasaab,

Could you post a pic of the decor kit by itself once you get it? I'd like to see what it looks like and how it would fit. I can see this part in the electronic parts catalog but it is not clear how it goes on and it doesn't have any fitting or removal instructions.
Definitely :cheesy:
Step by step pictures.. :P

finklejag
8th October 2003, 09:01 PM
We are all dying to see what this decor kit looks like.

I didn't buy the cleaner. I will worry about that when the times come. :wink:

WASAAB
8th October 2003, 09:11 PM
We are all dying to see what this decor kit looks like.

I didn't buy the cleaner. I will worry about that when the times come. :wink:
I was just curious that if can use the K$N filter cleaner on the J&R filters..

epsilon93
8th October 2003, 09:26 PM
Wasaab,

Don't try the K&N filter cleaner on the JR. You'll probably destroy the foam in the filter. Remember, the K&N is a cotton gauze filter.

WASAAB
8th October 2003, 09:31 PM
Thanks epsilon93 for the info.
:P

Viscouse
8th October 2003, 09:32 PM
I'm starting to track avg mpg & mph to & from work, so I can have good befores 7 afters when I DO get my new filter.

The up (& down)side of it is I'll be gathering data for awhile till the new filter comes... :cry:

Diggs
8th October 2003, 10:27 PM
I just installed this today. What a difference. I can really hear the turbo spooling up now. Man :!

The car definitely feels like it has more power. It just might be me. I also feel less turbo lag off the line.

Where can we buy this filter?

finklejag
8th October 2003, 10:53 PM

Here

http://www.genuinesaab.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=JRSportfilter

Nick is great guy. He can get any Europart you want.

Epsilon..The JR filter is just like the K&N. It is made out of cotton. You are thinking about the ITG. I guess you can use the K&N cleaner and oil. JR has their own.

http://www.genuinesaab.com/detail.asp?product_id=JR1110

I dont' know if this is the same price as the K&N kit?

Diggs
8th October 2003, 11:16 PM

Here

http://www.genuinesaab.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=JRSportfilter

Nick is great guy. He can get any Europart you want.

Epsilon..The JR filter is just like the K&N. It is made out of cotton. You are thinking about the ITG. I guess you can use the K&N cleaner and oil. JR has their own.

http://www.genuinesaab.com/cat/JR1110.jpg

I dont' know if this is the same price as the K&N kit?

Thanks, just ordered mine.

JNGold
8th October 2003, 11:31 PM
Finkle,

Was the air filter easy to install? Can you post a pic? I am an engine neophyte so please be gentle with me. :P

Wow, if there really is a difference in performance (less lag) then it will be a must-buy.

TIA!

Diggs
8th October 2003, 11:42 PM
Finkle,

Was the air filter easy to install? Can you post a pic? I am an engine neophyte so please be gentle with me. :P

Wow, if there really is a difference in performance (less lag) then it will be a must-buy.

TIA!

Air filters are very easy to install. You should have no problem.

finklejag
9th October 2003, 12:05 AM
It took me all of 5 minutes.

First you have to remove the EVAP hose. You just squeeze the two tabs on it.Then pull it off.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/files/saab_197.jpg

Loosen 5 torx screws. The remove the cover. You can't remove the whole cover. It is still held on by the side going into the intake. You will still have plenty of room to remove the filter.

Hope this helps

WASAAB
9th October 2003, 12:07 AM
[quote="finklejag Epsilon..The JR filter is just like the K&N. It is made out of cotton. You are thinking about the ITG. I guess you can use the K&N cleaner and oil. JR has their own.

[/quote]

I found it..
We can use K&N cleaner on JR filters..hahaha :P

http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/airfilter.pdf

Vector-SS
9th October 2003, 03:19 AM
So which would you guys prefer from the 3

1- JR
2- K&N
3- ITG

moz
9th October 2003, 03:42 AM
Thanks FJ, I've been waiting for the ITG but I might cave in and get this :)

finklejag
9th October 2003, 04:11 AM
So which would you guys prefer from the 3

1- JR
2- K&N
3- ITG

1.I only had it for one day
2.They don't make one for the 9-3 SS
3.I had one on my GTI. Its a good filter. I couldn't wait until November when they come in.

epsilon93
9th October 2003, 10:09 AM
Doh! :oops: Got confused with the ITG. Yeah the JR is cotton gauze as well very much like K&N so I guess you can use the K&N cleaning kit. Probably cheaper too. :wink:

WASAAB
10th October 2003, 01:46 AM

I placed order yesterday :P And With the Finkle seal of approval I couldn't resist..hehehe :wink:
BTW..How long did the S&H took Finkle :-??

finklejag
10th October 2003, 01:52 AM
I ordered it last friday. I got it on wednesday. They use Fedex ground. So they might use USPS to Hawaii.

WASAAB
10th October 2003, 01:55 AM
I ordered it last friday. I got it on wednesday. They use Fedex ground. So they might use USPS to Hawaii.
Thanks finkle :P

sjhudon
10th October 2003, 11:14 AM

I just ordered mine yesterday, i'll report back in with any difference.

CallipNCSUsaab
10th October 2003, 11:20 AM
is the JR better/worse than the ITG.... anyone?

03_Saab 9-3
10th October 2003, 04:18 PM
Id imagine they are all good, ill get either the J&R or the ITG. I had K&N 3" cone in the GTI, my buddy ran an ITG and loved his, I think they are all around the same, i like the idea of foam for some reason, not sure why. :P

WASAAB
10th October 2003, 09:13 PM
Foam based filters ( ITG ) are beter than cotton gauze based filters (JR) on peak HP up and filteration..when it's new.
In long term.. Foam filters won't last long..( You'll see more gaps between the each tiny holes ..more dirts can go through easier..
I used had All kinds of different intake filters for my Accords :P
Akimoto K&N type..
Weapon R Foam type..
Greddy Airnix Foam type
HKS Foam type..
Apexi K&N type..Etc..

JNGold
12th October 2003, 07:52 PM
Finkle,

Now that you have Some time with the new filter, do you have any other observations on performance or otherwise?

Tia!

finklejag
12th October 2003, 07:57 PM
Finkle,

Now that you have Some time with the new filter, do you have any other observations on performance or otherwise?

Tia!

Not really. Its just a filter right :P

It looks like my mileage went from 21mpg to 22mpg this week.

I'm not really looking for any performance gains from it. I just want to keep more dirt out of the intake.

Diggs
13th October 2003, 08:03 PM
Got my car back today and got the filter on. Took a few quick stabs at the gas and it sounds better. I like the sound of the turbo. :cheesy:

Too bad it's storming now, or I'd take it out for a spin.

Paul
15th October 2003, 08:42 AM

If in the UK or Europe you might want to get it here:

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_178_293&products_id=1186