supesion mods [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: supesion mods

thestranger66
09-12-09, 04:41 PM
A few weeks ago our mercedes SUV went in for service and they gave us a loaner c300. I was amazed at how great the car corner and sat on the road and i am now very interested in trying to recreate that in my saab. What would be the best path? Also, I know that uprated shocks and struts are always a good upgrade but they are very expensive and I was wondering whether a subframe brace and an anti roll bar would make a big enough difference? Thanks in advance.

Martin_9-5t
09-12-09, 04:59 PM
Double up the rear ARB, cheap, easy and effective

'97 Saab SE Turbo
09-12-09, 05:54 PM
I must admit that I drove a 'loaner car' much harder than my own car. Just make sure that you are comparing apples to apples... Ron

saabchilten
09-12-09, 06:08 PM
the mercedes most likely has a stiffer chassis too. the 6 point brace and/or shock tower brace will really tighten things up. then you put on an uprated arb and then you move on to lowering springs if you're still not happy.

Tweek's Turbos
09-12-09, 06:16 PM
How do you have an 01 9-3 Aero in the U.S.?

thestranger66
09-12-09, 09:40 PM
Will the subframe brace and arb go a long way to how the car sits on the road or do i have to get struts? And my car says SE on the side of it I thought it was the same thing as an aero seeing as all of the performance versions of saabs are aeros now, if not ill change it in my info.

thanks

grkguy89
09-12-09, 10:17 PM
i think you'll be happy with the ARB even if its just double stacking 2 stock ones

tdrudd87
10-12-09, 06:43 AM
If you want to double stack, you should search for my post in the classifieds...:cheesy:

Terry

Crothers
10-12-09, 03:33 PM
Dont forget the steering rack brace. it really tightens up the steering.

thestranger66
10-12-09, 09:14 PM
Hey does the steering brace make any difference in the feel of the wheel or does it just reduce torque steer?

Alright guys and gals I'd like to know what, if you had a 2001 93 SE with a K&N air filter and roughly 300$ worth of christmas bedget to ask for, what would be at the top of your lists? (not necessarily limited to suspension I am talking anything)

Thanks alot

Crothers
10-12-09, 09:20 PM
I noticed a significant difernce in the way the wheel feels. The car just goes the way you turn the wheel so much better. Hard to explained but noticable difernce

9-3Pilot
11-12-09, 08:01 PM
Alright guys and gals I'd like to know what, if you had a 2001 93 SE with a K&N air filter and roughly 300$ worth of christmas bedget to ask for, what would be at the top of your lists? (not necessarily limited to suspension I am talking anything)

Thanks alot
Suspension mods always come first for me, before performance.

22mm Arb and steering rack clamp and brace are cheaper if bought together, plus free shipping:
http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=56_28&products_id=36 (make sure to select the correct version: "small black rack")

thestranger66
11-12-09, 08:32 PM
what is the opinion of the 6 pt subframe brace for everyone, is it worth the 236$?

saabchilten
11-12-09, 09:49 PM
anyone you ask who owns it will say yes. the shock tower brace has more of an effect on convertibles than the other models simply because of the lack of a roof, but that 6 point brace is exempt from that.

grkguy89
11-12-09, 10:32 PM
what is the opinion of the 6 pt subframe brace for everyone, is it worth the 236$?
the 6-point brace is a necessity for the vert
yet i still couldnt bring myself to spend that much
thats why i went ahead and made myself one (but then i sold it, i needed the money)

Ryan32185
12-12-09, 02:41 PM
I just purchased these as Christmas gifts. When I get them installed, I will try and report back. All I have heard is good things about both.

I too would like to tighten things up but am not ready to plop down alot of money for the Koni setup or the like. Hope these two sure things up underneath.

aud
13-12-09, 03:31 PM
polyeurathane bushes. don't have any first hand experience with these but its all part of the viggen rescue kit as is the sub frame brace, rack brace etc. everything i've read and heard has been positive so it might be worth checking these out too since you're improving things.;)

C.S.
15-12-09, 09:18 PM
Thusfar on the wife's...

GS 22 ARB
GS 2 point bar
GS rack clamp
Poly bushings for front sway bar
Eibach Springs (w/new struts and shocks)

Not a race car by any means... but it's a far more fun car to drive now.

Oh and fwiw... the rack clamp removes flex from the rubber bushing used originally... I could tell the difference more when making a long sweeping turn.

mooseman
16-12-09, 11:09 AM
You should just cut your springs; that makes all the difference...JK...Sorry I just had to.:lol:

adamhalliwill
17-12-09, 04:48 AM
Thusfar on the wife's...

GS 22 ARB
GS 2 point bar
GS rack clamp
Poly bushings for front sway bar
Eibach Springs (w/new struts and shocks)

Not a race car by any means... but it's a far more fun car to drive now.

Oh and fwiw... the rack clamp removes flex from the rubber bushing used originally... I could tell the difference more when making a long sweeping turn.

What shocks did you go with?

swill424242
17-12-09, 10:32 AM
Sorry Newbie question what is a ARB is it Anti roll bar ?

9-3Pilot
17-12-09, 11:00 AM
Sorry Newbie question what is a ARB is it Anti roll bar ?
yes it is.

C.S.
18-12-09, 05:21 PM
What shocks did you go with?

KYB's

Not my first choice but they were a good "value" for a car with 150,000+ miles on it.

(Eibachs and KYB's came via the Tire Rack)

adamhalliwill
22-12-09, 08:25 PM
I have virtually the same setup you're using (minus the poly stabilizer bar bushings) and it has made a huge difference in the overall handling and "fun to drive"-ness of the car. It used to feel "wafty" at speed and had terrible body roll on corners, but most of that has been eliminated now.

The ride is still pretty rough though (albeit bearable), which is mostly due to the KYBs not being designed to dampen the stiffer aftermarket springs. I've been eyeing a set of Bilstein HD shocks, which I'm told are a night and day difference over the KYBs, but cost $450/set. I'm leary of investing that much into a car that's only worth maybe $3500 (it has 154,000 miles now), but if the difference is as big some claim, it might be worth it.

Has anyone else upgraded to Bilstein shocks (particularly from KYBs)? Was it worth the investment?

C.S.
22-12-09, 09:26 PM
I simply look at it as keeping a $32,000 car in shape... and on the road.

Same thing with my '99 V70R that cost $43,000 new... keep in as good of condition as possible and drive it into the dirt... and the upgrades on that car far outweigh what's been done to the wife's Saab.

Food for thought... ;)