Sticky Clutch? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Sticky Clutch?

justin.graeff
29-11-09, 04:24 PM
Well, I haven't really driven my 9000 all summer because I just picked up a 9-5. Since it has been getting colder, I am putting the 9-5 away and bring out the 9000. I have driven it the past couple of days because it has been cold and snowy and I don't want to ruin my 9-5 rims. I have notice that sometimes when releasing the clutch on the 9000, it won't come back all the way up. It comes up about a third to a half way up. It seems to engage properly and I don't smell clutch burning, but I don't know. This doesn't happen all the time, but there doesn't seem to be a time it happens more than other times. Usually I just pull it back out all the way with my foot and whatnot. What could be the culprit? It has basically been sitting all summer with no attention other than an occasional start and move.

Before I drove the 9-5, I never had the issue. The clutch had always been solid with no issues. This is definitely a symptom that has developed over sitting. I haven't driven it more than 10 minutes at a time, so I don't know what affect long term driving has on it. Any thoughts?

rawill
29-11-09, 11:42 PM
Maybe a sticking master cylinder. I'd keep using it and see if it goes away. If there is no slipping in the clutch then that is good and heres hoping it is a minor issue. The experts will be along soon - I hope.

justin.graeff
30-11-09, 01:53 PM
Thank you for the response! As far as I can tell, the clutch isn't slipping at all. Maybe sitting all summer caused the master cylinder to stick a little bit. Hopefully as I start driving it over the next few days it clears up. I don't want my winter vehicle crap out on me right before winter!

justin.graeff
02-12-09, 04:58 PM
Well, after driving it for some time, it's still sticking. I've found that it's even catching very close to the floor when it sticks too. Sometimes when I am waiting to go and I have my clutch to the floor, I'll let off a bit and it will grab right away. When it works normally, it doesn't do that. The clutch and transmission were replaced about 70k miles ago. Think it may still be a sticky master cylinder?

Superaero
02-12-09, 10:59 PM
If you have the MC that is vertically mounted in the driver's side aquarium area then my guess is the internal return spring has failed. This is very common.

justin.graeff
03-12-09, 12:10 AM
If you have the MC that is vertically mounted in the driver's side aquarium area then my guess is the internal return spring has failed. This is very common.

From what I can tell, the MC is located right by the clutch pedal. I had a look under today and saw it.

Superaero
03-12-09, 08:47 PM
These are pretty reliable. Another possibility is a failing clutch flex hose, the inside liner separates and partially blocks the fluid from returning back to the MC.

justin.graeff
20-01-10, 11:50 AM
Well, I thought I would update you guys. After driving it for a few months now, the problem has not disappeared. Sometimes it's pretty bad. Rarely, it will work normally, but that's once in a blue moon. I have looked at the fluid to check the levels and they look alright. Since I know it can work correctly, that leads me to think the master cylinder is the issue.

Is this a hard thing to replace? And what about bleeding the system after I replace it? I am not sure how, or where I would go about doing that. Would I be better off letting someone else do it?

mick44
20-01-10, 01:43 PM
you can get a repair kit which will save you quite a bit of money( youll get rubbers and spring for about 10 or maybe less) easy enough to do i think the bolts are inside just above the clutch pedal though its been a while since ive done one. while its off check your pipes from res to master and master to slave to see if there are any issues with them and as for bleeding you can get a self bleed kit or get somebody to give you a hand and in my experience even with a good master cylinder it will still be a right P.I.T.A but will come good in the end. regards mick.