Abbott Racing ECU chip $893. [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Abbott Racing ECU chip $893.

DRLSUX
6th October 2003, 04:57 PM
I ve contacted Abbott racing regarding the chip for the 93SS.

Here are the email responses:
-------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mark

Many thanks for your e-mail.

This upgrade is now available and the cost is 535.00 uk pounds. However, we need your cars original ECU here for us to reprogramme.

Once the ECU arrives here it takes us one day to modify and it sent back with several other components.

We accept payment by Credit Card.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Giles Fairweather
Tuning & Sales Manager
Abbott Racing Motorsport

Dear Mark

We are now up to date on the upgrade and no further improvements will be made in the foreseeable future.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Giles Fairweather
Tuning & Sales Manager
Abbott Racing Motorsport
Tel: +44 (0)1255 870636
Fax: +44 (0)1255 870057
Mobile +44 07836 297636
Web: www.abbottracing.com
Email: giles@abbottracing.com
------------------------------------------------------------

Is $900 a reasonable price for a chip made from Abbott? I believe Abbott works closely with Saab and it will not void your warranty. The extra 35HP on my Linear would be real nice.

mav238
6th October 2003, 05:33 PM
I ve contacted Abbott racing regarding the chip for the 93SS.

Here are the email responses:
-------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mark

Many thanks for your e-mail.

This upgrade is now available and the cost is 535.00 uk pounds. However, we need your cars original ECU here for us to reprogramme.

Once the ECU arrives here it takes us one day to modify and it sent back with several other components.

We accept payment by Credit Card.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Giles Fairweather
Tuning & Sales Manager
Abbott Racing Motorsport

Dear Mark

We are now up to date on the upgrade and no further improvements will be made in the foreseeable future.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Giles Fairweather
Tuning & Sales Manager
Abbott Racing Motorsport
Tel: +44 (0)1255 870636
Fax: +44 (0)1255 870057
Mobile +44 07836 297636
Web: www.abbottracing.com
Email: giles@abbottracing.com
------------------------------------------------------------

Is $900 a reasonable price for a chip made from Abbott? I believe Abbott works closely with Saab and it will not void your warranty. The extra 35HP on my Linear would be real nice.

Not to put down your excitement with the ECU upgrade, but you have to remember couple of things:
1. Abbott is stationed in the UK, thus when the item is sold overseas to north american buyers, it's almost a done deal, if you know what I mean by that.
2. When the ECU is upgraded, SAAB service people will know that it's upgraded, because the settings would not be what the tech is expecting to see. Warranty issues arise. It's SAAB USA that you are dealing , not SAAB UK.

There is a PPC system which performs upgrades to the software as well, but it's a standalone system that you can directly load the software into the ECU yourself, and reset it to the factory settings when it's time for service. More costly, because it comes with the programming unit (like the Tech II). Currently not yet available for SAAB, but available for Volvo and VW/Audi.

murphwiz
6th October 2003, 05:36 PM
Abbott is in no way sanctioned or affiliated with saab.
The upgrade will probably void warranty, and with the 9-3ss ecu it will be plain as the nose on your face.

murphwiz
6th October 2003, 05:38 PM
PPC is now available for T7 cars... 9-3ss is T8.. still working on it!

http://www.speedparts.se/prod/newupgrade/ppc/main.html

SS
6th October 2003, 05:39 PM
but isnt SAAB USA or SAAB Canada affiliated with Abbott Racing. So doesnt the warranty stay on the car. Thats what i heard from some other people in this forum. They said that if Abbott tunes your car, your warranty will not be void !! :-??

murphwiz
6th October 2003, 05:41 PM
Unlikely.. but who knows!

SAAB have selected an official tuner, so I'd find it surprising if an importer was allowed to select another tuner...

SS
6th October 2003, 05:42 PM
you mean hirsch performance right ?

murphwiz
6th October 2003, 05:45 PM
you mean hirsch performance right ?

Yes, Hirsch.

SS
6th October 2003, 05:49 PM
but they said that they dont do North America, so what the hell are we supposed to do ?

murphwiz
6th October 2003, 05:52 PM
but they said that they dont do North America, so what the hell are we supposed to do ?

It can't be far off...
http://www.hirsch-performance.ch/docs/motlist_e.php?typ=9-3

DRLSUX
6th October 2003, 07:37 PM
Not to put down your excitement with the ECU upgrade, but you have to remember couple of things:
1. Abbott is stationed in the UK, thus when the item is sold overseas to north american buyers, it's almost a done deal, if you know what I mean by that.
2. When the ECU is upgraded, SAAB service people will know that it's upgraded, because the settings would not be what the tech is expecting to see. Warranty issues arise. It's SAAB USA that you are dealing , not SAAB UK.

There is a PPC system which performs upgrades to the software as well, but it's a standalone system that you can directly load the software into the ECU yourself, and reset it to the factory settings when it's time for service. More costly, because it comes with the programming unit (like the Tech II). Currently not yet available for SAAB, but available for Volvo and VW/Audi.

Thanks for crushing my hopes for a fast Linear. Time to accept the fact that my car is stuck at 175hp for the next year or two. PPC system sounds interesting though.

JFK-USAF
6th October 2003, 07:55 PM
The As suck -----They are the FAKE SAAB 9-2s and 9-7s of the baseball world.. Boston is the SAAB 9-3s and 9-5s in this deal.....This is referring to DRLSUXs avatar. :cheesy: :cheesy: 8)

finklejag
6th October 2003, 08:01 PM
DRLSUX

You can gain about 20hp with a good intake, cat-back exhaust and mnay other bolt on parts. Speedparts has a turbo inlet pipe for the 99-02 9-3. All this stuff should be coming out within the next year for the SS

DRLSUX
6th October 2003, 08:08 PM
JFK-USAF
Ah the curse of the Bambino. Red Sox fans have suffered long and hard. Sucks to be a BoSox fan doesnt it?

finklejag
Thanks for the heads up. I ll be looking out for an intake and catback exhuast or downpipe. I'm just not crazy over the exhuast systems they have out now for the Saab 9-3s.

Topspin14
6th October 2003, 08:12 PM
Go Yankees!

finklejag
6th October 2003, 08:15 PM
Whick one you are talking about DRLSUX?

The BSR is made to fit under the rear valence.

DRLSUX
6th October 2003, 08:23 PM
I'm talking about the sports exhuast in the saabcatalog and I believe I saw a magnaflow off a merlot red 9-3 in one of the forums awhile back.

What is the BSR?

finklejag
6th October 2003, 08:30 PM
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18837

DRLSUX
6th October 2003, 09:04 PM
Looks like it fits nicely with the decor kit.

Has anyone considered putting in a Y- pipe and adding a second muffler? I don't know if this pipe would fit the 93SS but Im sure there are shops out there who could customize one.

DRLSUX
6th October 2003, 11:38 PM
finklejag

Do you know if there is a cold air intake available, instead of just the drop in JR filter?

WASAAB
7th October 2003, 01:27 AM
finklejag

Do you know if there is a cold air intake available, instead of just the drop in JR filter?

Here http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18746

WASAAB
7th October 2003, 01:30 AM
Looks like it fits nicely with the decor kit.

Has anyone considered putting in a Y- pipe and adding a second muffler? I don't know if this pipe would fit the 93SS but Im sure there are shops out there who could customize one.
It will be nice but..Our 93ss have plenty curves on the exhaust pipes..Only way to have dual exhaust is to cut the pipe at the end ( After Resornator and the before the muffler ) :P

finklejag
7th October 2003, 01:46 AM
http://www.speedparts.se/proj/ss1_dubbelror.jpg

WopOnTour
7th October 2003, 02:01 AM
Thanks for crushing my hopes for a fast Linear. Time to accept the fact that my car is stuck at 175hp for the next year or two.

Well how about a water injection manifold for the inter-cooler? Reportedly that was all that was added to the Vauxhall VX220 2.0L Turbo roadster (Nearly identical 2.0L ECOTEC as the 9.3SS) to raise it from 197bhp to 237bhp. Seems a bit unrealistic to me but that is what I seen in a recent correspondence from Vauxhall in the UK.

Has anybody here added one tot he 9.3SS??

Regards
WopOnTour

DRLSUX
7th October 2003, 02:09 AM
Wow that setup looks pretty sweet on that laser red 93SS.
Whered you get that pic?

WASAAB
How much is that cold air intake?

finklejag
7th October 2003, 03:31 AM
Wow that setup looks pretty sweet on that laser red 93SS.
Whered you get that pic?

WASAAB
How much is that cold air intake?

Both items are on Speedparts project cars.

www.speedparts.se

DRLSUX
7th October 2003, 03:59 AM
dammit, meaning they are not for sale.(yet)

SS
7th October 2003, 06:08 AM
is there a water injection manifold for the inter-cooler available for the 9-3 ss in the market ?

murphwiz
7th October 2003, 04:08 PM
[quote]
Well how about a water injection manifold for the inter-cooler? Reportedly that was all that was added to the Vauxhall VX220 2.0L Turbo roadster (Nearly identical 2.0L ECOTEC as the 9.3SS) to raise it from 197bhp to 237bhp.

Water injection actually reduces power output overall..
The VX220 uses water injection to keep temps down, combustion temps are down, so engine temps are down, very important in an aluminium chassis'd mid engined car...

Abbott-9-3
7th October 2003, 05:46 PM
its a great remap,with the filter and zorst its an Aero basher :D

Saab UK are fuly aware my car is tuned,as it was done by an official dealer as a demonstrator.My warranty is covered by the dealer and unless an adjuster i called,i shouild imagine the dealer wil claim off Saab

its a strange situatio,simialr to one i had when i had a tuned Alfa.I had it tuned my a non-Alfa affiliated tuner called Autodelta,but Alfa still honoured the warranty because the dealer never told them

suyoungman
10th October 2003, 10:12 PM
finklejag

actually, cold air intakes don't do much for turbocharged cars. save money, get a regular short ram intake. they'll both perform exactly the same. air gets hot before entering the intercooler anyways...

WASAAB
10th October 2003, 10:35 PM
finklejag

actually, cold air intakes don't do much for turbocharged cars. save money, get a regular short ram intake. they'll both perform exactly the same. air gets hot before entering the intercooler anyways...
There are no short ram intake for 93ss yet..
And cold air intake are still in testing progress..
However, Drop in s are on sale :P

WopOnTour
10th October 2003, 11:04 PM
Water injection actually reduces power output overall..

Murph you may have misunderstood me
I didn't mean water injection in the traditional sense. What I meant was a kit to convert the intercooler form an air-to-air unit to an air-to-water intercooler. These devices take advantage of the latent heat of evaporization to further cool the post turbo aircharge. Cooling the air charge provides a denser.... yada-yada-yada

Regards
WOT

BTW: I received more info from Vauxhall and there was actaully a bit more done than that to raise the bhp to 237.Bigger turbo, dif intake, dif exhaust and remap.

iceben
11th October 2003, 04:10 PM
Hirsch chips are available and they are the official Saab tuners. Seem very pricey. But you should get to keep your warranty.

http://www.hirsch-performance.ch/motor_e.htm

Available for 175 and 210 hp engines. And, although 20 hp gain for 210 hp engine (Vector/Aero) seems modest, time-to-speed gains are significant. I wonder if they removed or reduced the power reduction (for torque steer control) in lower gears?

What does 1100 euros equal? Too much, I'm sure.

WopOnTour
11th October 2003, 04:50 PM
Hirsch chips are available and they are the official Saab tuners. Seem very pricey. But you should get to keep your warranty.
<SNIP>
What does 1100 euros equal? Too much, I'm sure.

IMO $1300 USD is not alot to pay for 20bhp.
The price likely reflects that you will get a replacement T8 ECM (exchange??) as there is no way to add a "chip" to the 9-3SS ECM. The only way to alter the software/firmare is to either reflash it at the calibration level or reprogram core ROM instruction via a BDM type interface.

What's impressive is the 235HP level can still meet TuV and Euro 4 emmisions. (Although likely at a significant fuel consumption loss)

Good luck on getting Saab USA to maintain your SAAB warranty on these mods though. Not bloody likely. :cry:

JMO
WOT

iceben
11th October 2003, 06:20 PM
Since there seems to be a lot of uncertainty about warranty coverage in the US after ECM upgrades, I've emailed Hirsch and Saab asking them to state their positions. Will advise.

SS
11th October 2003, 07:50 PM
my dealer told me that everything tuned in by hirsch will not affect the warranty !!!

iceben
11th October 2003, 09:19 PM
Thanks for reminding me SS. I'm going to email my dealer and get their warranty position (in writing) too. Will advise.

Mickey
13th October 2003, 12:46 AM
My dealer also confirmed Hirsch upgrades DO NOT void the SAAB warranty. However, if there is something wrong with the ECM unit, then the warranty comes from Hirsch themselves, which makes sense.

Hirsch also provides a new ECM unit for EUR1400. I will be opting for this, since I will get to keep my original ECM unit, in case the worst case scenario occurs.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I always say. :nono;

Damn Stereo
13th October 2003, 02:06 AM
Any confirmation of this for SaabUSA?

finklejag
13th October 2003, 02:12 AM
Any confirmation of this for SaabUSA?

It will never happen :(

SS
13th October 2003, 06:26 AM
i am sure you guys will get this confirmation. Hirsch for saabs is like AMG for mercedes and all. If you come to think about it, there should be NO REASON for Saab USA to void the warranty. Keep us posted anyway !!

iceben
14th October 2003, 08:25 PM
As promised, here's my first reply (from Hirsch):

Dear Ben

The ECM upgrade is not an official Saab product. Therefor it is not covered by the Saab warranty.

But anyway, our products are not available yet in the US. The launch is planned for 2004.

Best regards
hirsch performance ag

Ceyhun Dönmez

Tel.: +41 71 274 2228
Fax.: +41 71 274 2229

www.saab-performance.com
www.hirsch-performance.ch

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: iceben@comcast.net [mailto:iceben@comcast.net]
Gesendet: Sonntag, 12. Oktober 2003 00:09
An: Ceyhun Dönmez
Betreff: Online-Anfrage Hirsch Performance (english)

Bemerkungen:
Does the ECM Upgrade for the new 93SS (Aero)void the warranty on a car in the US? This is critically important and much discussed on the SaabCentral forum.

What she didn't answer is whether it voids the Saab warranty. I didn't ask if the ECM was covered by Saab or Hirsch. I have emailed her for an answer to my original question.

Damn Stereo
14th October 2003, 09:25 PM
Does Hirsch offer its own warranty on the ECM?

iceben
14th October 2003, 10:46 PM
As promised, my second reply (this time from SaabUSA), as well as my response to their (less than enlightening) answer.

ORIGINAL QUESTION:

First name: Ben
Last Name: Bailey

Comment: Does upgrading the ECM by Hirsch (their stage 1) void my warranty?
Does upgrading the ECM by Abbott Racing void my warranty?

Thank you for your prompt reply. Many people on SaabCentral are wondering
the same thing. I will post your reply so others will be informed as well.

Ben Bailey
93SS Vector 2.0T
Laura Bailey
93SS Arc 2.0T

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2003 3:05 PM
To: iceben@comcast.net
Subject: RE: Vehicle/Dealer Concern

Dear Mr. Bailey,

Thank you for contacting the Saab Cars USA Customer Interaction Center.

If a failure is found to the a result of modifications not authorized by Saab, your warranty could be negated.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Sincerely,
Greg
Saab Customer Interaction Center

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 10/11/03 4:57:30 PM
To:
Subject: Vehicle/Dealer Concern

Dear Greg,

Thank you for responding to my inquiry. Based on your answer, I have to ask, would the installation of a Hirsch (apparently the official Saab tuning company) reprogrammed ECM constitute a "modification not authorized by Saab"? With this information I (and the many users of the SaabCentral forums) could decide whether we are jeopardizing our valuable Saab warranties by installing a Hirsch ECM, when they become available.

Looking forward to your reply,

Ben Bailey

Cc: SaabCentral Forum (Saab 9-3SS topics); Ceyhun Dönmez (Saab-Hirsch.ch)

Mickey
14th October 2003, 11:12 PM
SAAB USA seems to be very evasive. Either they are not sure or they do not wish to honour SAAB Sweden's agreement wih Hirsch. Hirsch IS SAAB's official tuner. :nono;

The Hirsch ECM will be under Hirsch's warranty, and everything else is under SAAB. Any problems with the ECM unit will need to be resolved by Hirsch, not SAAB.

The SAAB warranty should cover everything EXCEPT the ECM unit.

This is what I understand it to be. :wink:

cyberkatis
15th October 2003, 04:11 PM
Here's my two cents.

Talioferro offers me the following:

ECM Upgrade, stage 1 (ECM and Filter) for USD $770. Now if I decide to keep my original ECM (to be swapped for Saab US dealer work) I pay an additional USD $130. So for a total of USD $900 I get a reported +44HP bringing my Viggen to an incredible 274HP and 313 ft/lbs or torque.

Now, the benefit here is that I keep my original SAAB ECM for replacement. Now if I decided to continue on with the Stage 2-4 programs it becomes very difficult to put my original ECM back in play because of the offset in airflow. (I wouldn't want to endanger the engine by running original ECM with upgraded airflow, although it may work fine)

So, IMHO, this is the best of both worlds but with no overseas issues.

Link for T7 2.4 Upgrade performance stats:
http://www.genuinesaab.com/tuning/pu/PU250.htm

General Link to Taliaferro Website Performance Tuning:
http://www.genuinesaab.com/tuning/default.asp

Please let me know anyone if this company doesn't know what they are doing or if there are problems with this thinking.

Chris.

danncas
17th November 2003, 10:50 PM
Guys in the states have you been here.

http://engstrom.net/cgi-bin/SoftCart.100.exe/scstore/sitepages/new.html?L+scstore+yljk5687ffb57ab5+1069128698

WopOnTour
18th November 2003, 12:53 AM
Guys in the states have you been here.

Wrong forum my friend
WE talking T8 here (2003+ 9.3SS and CV)
To the best of my knowledge Engstrom sells ECU mods for T5 - T7 (as does numerous other companies)

Regards
WopOnTour

MadcapJJ
21st November 2003, 03:55 AM
The Abbot ECU upgrade can not be visibly seen under the bonnet so unless you disclose the upgrade it will only void the warranty if you have any engine management problems.
Also from my experience SAAB dealers don't really know exactly what they are doing with TECH 2 that I doubt if they would ever come across the different output rating.
Insurance would never have to know either cause they wouldn't have a prayer of finding it.

WopOnTour
22nd November 2003, 12:27 AM
Actually FYI when you use the TECH2, it's not as if you're going to come across some PID labeled "Engine Horsepower Rating".

I'm not sure about the Abbott but most mods of this type alter the base fuel/timing calibration and therefore the result in a different calibration ID number.

Unless the mod allows you to keep your original T8 ECU so you can swap it in before going for service, the modification would be quite obvious the first time a Saab tech (using the TECH2) attempted to confirm the calibration revision levels against TIS (the computer application that is used to update the calibrations of ALL the modules on the Saab 9.3SS)

I don't know where YOU get your service done, but any Saab tech worth keeping around- knows the TECH2 and all of the various applications inside-out. Where is Derby? Are you in the USA??

Regards
WopOnTour